PDA

View Full Version : Sky Signal

gazzae
09-05-2005, 12:17
Hi All,

We have heard about Sky sometimes losing signal if the weather is bad, but have you ever heard of Sky only losing signal when the weather is warm and sunny?

My mums Sky box works fine if the weather is dull and mild, but as soon as a good day comes along and there is bright sunlight the signal disappears. You can leave the box unplugged for an hour, plug it back in and the signal comes back, but five minutes later its gone again.

Sky are booked to come out, was just wondering if anyone on here had heard about this before?

Thanks

Gareth

Bill C
09-05-2005, 12:27
Could be a overheating LNB on the dish. When you turn off the box it drops the power to the LNB then when you turn it back on it heats up again.

Paul K
09-05-2005, 12:27
Could be causing problems with the LNB I suppose due to circuits over heating?? Unplugging the box will only help if it is the Sky box over heating, if it's a problem with the dosh or LNB (the little blocky bit at the end of the arm) then unplugging the Sky box will do very little to help and the signal won't improve. Might be worth taking signal strength readings at various times of the day to see if warm weather/ sunshine is affecting signal strength. If the signal is fine and no picture is available then the LNB might need replacing.

gazzae
09-05-2005, 12:44
Its a very weird one, it happened last year a few times but we never called Sky out. Over winter the signal did not disappear once but as soon as the weather got good again it started to lose the signal. I don't think its the box as I plugged a different one in only to have the same problems.

Will wait to see what the sky engineer says.

zoombini
09-05-2005, 14:11
If it's not hot that day, get a hairdryer upto the LNB :D

gazzae
20-05-2005, 15:47
Forgot about this thread.

The sky man came out last week, he replaced the LNB on the dish and its been working perfectly ever since.

Paul K
20-05-2005, 19:26
Good ol faulty LNB :erm: at least it's fixed now