PDA

View Full Version : NTL Digital TV in a flat?

jayandfoo
08-05-2005, 21:55
Hi all,

Here's hoping you can help.

We live in a small block of 6 flats and have tried in the past to get Sky TV but were told that the trees would block our reception.

I have now applied for NTL TV and have been told that I am in a NTL enabled area (I did the address check) and that I can have Digital TV.

However, when we had NTL 4 years ago an an alternative address, I'm sure that they used a little box on the side of the house.

Does the TV simply come through my aerial and decoder, or will they need to start drilling and installing extra cables? If this is the case, I'm not confident my neighbours would be impressed with drilling, etc, as we are on the top (second floor).

I'm also concerned that it won't be classed as 'standard' installation if the fitter has to faff around with extra cabling.

I'm desperate for Digital TV now!All replies much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

jayandfoo

Roy MM
08-05-2005, 22:06
Hi and :welcome: to the site i'm sure your neighbours will tollerate a short time of drilling.

jayandfoo
08-05-2005, 22:08
They're quite old and set in their ways.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Chris W
08-05-2005, 22:16
The cabling will need to be run to your flat.

My cabling for two of my STBs comes in on the first floor, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You might need a survey before the install, because there might be issues of way leave regarding running the cable up the building and the garden/ driveway outside your house might be owned by someone else.

Just make sure you make it known that you don't live on the ground floor when you book the installation, otherwise the install techs might not have a ladder with them.

The best thing to do is to try and get ntl to do the instal- if they can't do it then i'm afraid you can't have it :shrug: but it is worth a try :)

Russ
08-05-2005, 22:23
Tip: only post in ONE area at a time please :)

jayandfoo
08-05-2005, 22:25
Sorry about that...but realised that I may have originally posted in the incorrect place.

Angua
08-05-2005, 22:26
Having been through a couple of NTL installations (2nd one was a first floor flat) they will have to drill to get the cable into your flat. However (and I am guessing here not being an engineer myself just an end user whos flat installation was added on to a ground floor box) the cable box might be on the ground with the cable fed up to your flat from there then drilling would be in your flat.

I am sure if you explain to your neighbours there will be no arial or such like as a result they might be pleased. If you needed to have a BT line put in they would have to drill and they probably would agree to that.

Neighbours are generally less hostile if you talk to them and explain.:D

shredder
08-05-2005, 22:34
Having been through a couple of NTL installations (2nd one was a first floor flat) they will have to drill to get the cable into your flat. However (and I am guessing here not being an engineer myself just an end user whos flat installation was added on to a ground floor box) the cable box might be on the ground with the cable fed up to your flat from there then drilling would be in your flat.

I am sure if you explain to your neighbours there will be no arial or such like as a result they might be pleased. If you needed to have a BT line put in they would have to drill and they probably would agree to that.

Neighbours are generally less hostile if you talk to them and explain.:D

That's correct i live on a ground floor flat, the omni (brown box is located at ground level) the installation involves a small whole to pull the cable in to your flat, drilled through the wall. The noise is minimal. my neighbours on the top (second floor) have cable too and it is exaclty the same. when i was installed the installer asked me to phone my landlord to comfirm install was ok as this had not been done with sales. other than that no problems! obviously if you own the flat you can ignore the last step.

jayandfoo
14-05-2005, 09:55
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. We signed up to NTL on 7th May and received an email saying that we would be contacted within 48 hours to advise of installation date, etc.

After not having any contact from them (apart from confirmation of Direct Debit yesterday), I rang them this morning to see what was happening.

They told me that installation will be on 23rd May between 12pm and 5.30pm. I told them that I live in a set of six flats, with me at the top, on the second floor and would this still be a standard installation. The lady I spoke to advised that the crew will determine what type of installtion it will be when they arrive, and can only install if the have long enough ladders. I also asked about permission from my neighbours and she said that NTL will need a signature from them to say they are ok with the installation. I asked if they had any specific forms for this (I attempted to sign up to their Broadband a while ago but the faffing around was too much. Included in the information I got from them was forms for my neighbours to sign) and she said no. This will be obtained by the crew on the day.

So, I will effectively need to take a full day off for the installtion, which I don't mind, but I can't afford to take another day of the crew decide they don't have the right ladders :dozey:

Are there any NTL employees that could give me a bit more info?

Sorry for being dumb - I'm just so desperate for Digital TV now, I don't want anything to go wrong!

shredder
14-05-2005, 10:32
i would try and phone in again and ask if the csa could speak with the installs supervisor for your area so he can be made aware the height of ladders that will be required to complete the job. just explain that it will involve you taking a day off work and you cannot afford to do this if the install will then need to be resheduled.

kibblerok
15-05-2005, 21:40
the crew wont come out prepared unless told to do so on the order, a job like you describe may require a long install or a two man crew... a normal job will be given a short slot and one installer.

the system is usually good at allocating the right tasks/length to a job but id make sure that it is down on the order by ringing up, it may be pre-wired or have block wiring which would make things easier but id make sure.

spike7451
15-05-2005, 22:35
Sorry to disagree with you,but all installs to a property where no service has been before is done be a 2 man crew (H & S reasons)I have been with NTL as a tech for 6 years.
If it has had service before then it is normally a one man crew.If other flats have had service 7 your has'nt then it is still a 2 man crew.Reason is a 'adresss' has to have a seperate drop cable for each property for the premise that each drop has a certain signal loss for each tv/bb service ( the longer the run from the cab or the more services,the heavier the cable used up to RG 11)& as the telco has 3 pair (3 lines),if one goes faulty,you have 2 spare (we used to use 2 pair)
m

jayandfoo
20-05-2005, 14:48
Well, I spoke to my neighbours who didn't have a problem. The woman on the bottom floor said she had previously had NTL a few years ago, I maybe this will be easier for the installation guys.

Thanks for all of your help.

x

shredder
20-05-2005, 17:40
Only one tech came for my install, brand new property not pre wired at all! Hmmm naughty!!!

good luck jayandfoo! :)

jayandfoo
22-05-2005, 20:44
Oh gawd....I have let them know (twice) that we are a second floor flat. I've not told them that my neighbour had NTL so they should hopefully come thinking nothing has been pre-wired.

They are coming tomorrow between 8am and 12pm so I shall let you know how I get on.....fingers crossed!

Hopefully I shall be watching Living TV and such by tomorrow dinnertime :erm:

jayandfoo
23-05-2005, 11:45
Ok! NTL has now been installed - three men turned up and were really quick, efficient and helpful. They talked me through what they were doing and gave me contact details should anything go wrong - well done NTL!

I'm just waiting for the TV to 'hit' - apparently it could take up to an hour.

Thanks everyone for all of your help

jayandfoo
23-05-2005, 16:15
NTL TV just started working...a little bit longer than the original 1 hour.

Anyway, can only get the basic 5 channels - rang Customer Services who said that it is a delay throughout the whole of the North West with regards to updating subscriptions and 'hitting' boxes.

Thing is (and I'm very sad, I know), there's things on Cable I want to watch tonight! Are there any NTL employees who could enlighten me on the situation and if possible let me know when the problems will be resolved?

Thanks,

jayandfoo