PDA

View Full Version : Network Connections error 623

spiderplant
08-05-2005, 13:19
Yesterday I was talking someone through setting up Internet Connection Sharing. So I could tell them exactly what menus to expect, I thought I'd do it on my own PC at the same time, then click 'Cancel' on the last screen. Pah! About 5 screens through the Network Setup Wizard, the 'Cancel' button vanished, and I had to go through with it. Not to worry, I thought, I'll just undo it afterwards.

I have tried to do so, but every now and then when browsing, a dialogue box pops up which says:
Network Connections
Cannot load dialog.
Error 623: The system could not find the phone book entry for this connection.
OK

As long as I keep clicking OK, everything else seems to work fine. (Why is there no "No, it's not OK" button? :) )

I've searched for this error on the Microsoft support site, but all I can find suggests that my VPN connection isn't set up properly. I don't use VPNs. (I have tried to set one up then delete it, but this hasn't helped).

Any ideas? I'm on XP Professional SP2, by the way.

Paul K
08-05-2005, 13:36
What connection did you specify to be shared while you were running through the wizzard? Normally that error would come up if you tell it to use a dial up connection :erm:
Do you have a standard modem installed or have you created a "fake" connection to use while testing the wizzard?

spiderplant
08-05-2005, 18:58
I don't recall telling it to share any particular connection. My normal connection is wireless to my broadband router. I also have a couple of dial-up entries defined.

I've just noticed whether or not the error appears depends on what website I'm browsing. It doesn't do it at all on CF, but does on DigitalSpy.

spiderplant
09-05-2005, 20:57
Further clues: It also doesn't do it if I've configured a proxy.

Any more ideas please?

Paul K
09-05-2005, 21:17
Any chance of deleting any normal dial up connections from the computer, reboot and see if it still does it? I'm getting similar issues with XP trying to use my Bluetooth connection for sites instead of XP so it could well be a XP issue with connections. I'm thinking of clean installing XP again soon so I'll see if it goes away.

spiderplant
09-05-2005, 22:02
You may have hit on something there Paul.

I deleted both dial-up connections, and the error went away. Didn't even need to reboot. I then recreated one of them, and now, instead of the error, the dial-up 'connect' dialogue keeps popping up.

I think I can live without any dial-up entries. Doing another clean install really doesn't appeal.

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 22:16
If you're using IE make sure that you have it set to "Never dial a connection".

Tools > Internet Options > Connections

spiderplant
10-05-2005, 09:29
I'm using Firefox.

Though IE also causes the error, and that is set to "never dial a cnnection"