PDA

View Full Version : Some like it hot.

iadom
08-05-2005, 10:36
Forget your Madras or your Phal.
this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/08/wchil08.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/08/ixhome.html) is the real deal. :Yikes:

Chimaera
08-05-2005, 10:44
Blimey! I have just about got used to a Tikka Masala - how on earth can people eat that stuff?

But one chilli head who obtained an early sample dropped a single grain into a pan of tomato soup. After persuading his wife to try a spoonful, he reported that: "She threatened divorce once she could speak again.'' :nono: :D

Tuftus
08-05-2005, 11:04
Blimey!!!

punky
08-05-2005, 11:26
Rammy will have that... He's a connoisseur in all things hot.

bmxbandit
08-05-2005, 12:06
has nobody stopped to ask... why? :shrug:

paulyoung666
08-05-2005, 12:07
just be careful with your toilet routine :Yikes: :D :D

Halcyon
08-05-2005, 12:52
Gooodness !!!
I would SO NEVER go anywhere near that stuff.

handyman
08-05-2005, 13:05
I know a member that would try that sort of thing :erm:

Chimaera
08-05-2005, 13:28
I know a member that would try that sort of thing :erm:
Yeah - must be easier to eat than glass I suppose! :erm: :D

philip.j.fry
09-05-2005, 21:23
:drool:

Currently I'm cultivating my own habanero plant which I hope to be able to make some chilli sauce from.

altis
09-05-2005, 21:29
The same news - distilled:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4530739.stm

Ramrod
09-05-2005, 21:52
Rammy will have that... He's a connoisseur in all things hot.I'm not bluddy trying that......I'll stick with the 'Who dares burns-second assault' hot sauce, thank you very much!
Blaire is a complete nutcase.............but his 'Death Rain' crisps are fantastic :drool:
Have a nose around Chilefarm.co.uk (http://chilefarm.co.uk/) I get my hot sauces from there :tu:
I recommend Cholula (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/cholula_hot_sauce.html)--very mild and tasty
Habanero Heaven (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/habanero_heaven_hot_sauce.html)--quite hot but still very tasty
Who dares burns-second assault (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/who_dares_burns_2nd_assault.html)--insanely hot.....burns your lips--and thats with just half a teaspoon mixed in well :disturbd: :D

has nobody stopped to ask... why? :shrug:I used to hate hot spicey food till I went to a dinner party in December and tried 'Who dares burns (original recipe)............I was hooked.........my mouth is watering atm, just thinking about the sauces.....I think it's addictive :shrug: :)

Gooodness !!!
I would SO NEVER go anywhere near that stuff.I wouldn't either......thats just pure heat.....no flavour............if it hurt Blair then it is quite possible that it could kill someone......and I'm not joking.

The scoville scale is explained here (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/scoville.html). You will note that police pepper spray is rated at 5 300 000 scovilles......Blaires 'sauce' is 16 000 000 scovilles.....it's insane.

16,000,000 - Pure capsaicin
5,300,000 - Police grade pepper spray
2,000,000 - Common pepper spray
350,000 - 580,000 - Red Savina Habanero
100,000 - 350,000 - Habanero
100,000 - 325,000 - Scotch Bonnet
100,000 - 225,000 - Birds Eye pepper
100,000 - 200,000 - Jamaican Hot pepper
80,000 - Dave's Insanity Sauce
50,000 - 100,000 - Thai pepper
30,000 - 50,000 - Cayenne pepper
30,000 - 50,000 - Tabasco pepper
2,500 - 8,000 - JalapeÃÃâ€*’±o pepper
2,500 - 5,000 - Tabasco sauce
0 - Sweet Bell pepper

I'm eating at around 400 000 scovilles....there is no effing way I'm going to try 16 million scovilles :erm:.......and I can drink Tabasco like water :D

Mal
09-05-2005, 21:53
The scoville scale is explained here (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/scoville.html). You will note that police pepper spray is rated at 5 300 000 scovilles......Blaires 'sauce' is 16 000 000 scovilles.....it's insane.
That put's it into perspective :Yikes: :erm: :)

Ramrod
09-05-2005, 22:08
That put's it into perspective :Yikes: :erm: :)Quite..........it's just a macho thing......both the eating of that sauce and the fact that he actually managed to distill such a thing......hats off to him for managing it though :D

Now he runs Extreme Foods in New Jersey, selling his existing range, including "Mega Death" and "Jersey Death", the latter, according to Mr Lazar, being the world's hottest usable condiment.

He keeps a fridge full of iced spring water in his office for those brave enough to try some. Most tasters sweat heavily and are unable to see for tears for up to half an hour.
:rofl:

Tuftus
09-05-2005, 22:11
Wea are currently cultivating some jalapenos...

Hope they are not like this though!!!

Ramrod
09-05-2005, 22:12
Wea are currently cultivating some jalapenos...

Hope they are not like this though!!!Depends....you going to eat the seeds as well? :p:

philip.j.fry
09-05-2005, 22:16
He keeps a fridge full of iced spring water

What a b**tard :D That only makes things worse.

By far the best chili experience I have seen is when my mother mistook my scoth bonnets for baby bell peppers and used 6 of them.

BBKing
09-05-2005, 22:16
I know a member that would try that sort of thing

I shouldn't think you'd want it anywhere near your member. Talk about eye-watering.

I had tabasco on my pasta earlier - nicely warming, I can still taste it. Looking on that scale, I appear to be as a Reliant Robin to a Saturn Five rocket. Need to get some practice in.

fireman328
09-05-2005, 22:17
Blimey !!!!
I get panic striken when I suck a Fishermans Friend.

Mr_love_monkey
09-05-2005, 22:18
I shouldn't think you'd want it anywhere near your member. Talk about eye-watering.

Could add a whole new meaning to bell(end) peppers...

Blimey !!!!

Stop it... you people are killing me... :)

Tuftus
09-05-2005, 22:19
Depends....you going to eat the seeds as well? :p:

Nah, would save / sell em for next season...

:cool: :p:

gary_580
09-05-2005, 22:50
Rammy will have that... He's a connoisseur in all things hot.

Mainly chips though ;)

:drool:

Currently I'm cultivating my own habanero plant which I hope to be able to make some chilli sauce from.

what sort?? Not all habaneros are hot

and I can drink Tabasco like water :D

I went to the Tabasco factory in Avery Island last summer. The smell in that place was absolutely amazing

Got me some Red Savina peppers growing at the moment

Blimey !!!!

OOOEEERRRR MISSUS

Jon M
09-05-2005, 23:04
A mate of mine got residue from Daves Insanity Sauce in his eye, he thought he was blinded for over an hour. That particular one is supposed to be 80,000 on that scale.. those other ones must be classified as weapons grade chemicals!!

philip.j.fry
10-05-2005, 09:07
what sort?? Not all habaneros are hot

Will have to check as it was a gift. I know that you need to look after them in a certain way to increase the heat.

--------------------------

A mate of mine got residue from Daves Insanity Sauce in his eye, he thought he was blinded for over an hour.

Ouch, I once tried to put my contact lenses in after handling some chillis and that hurt a lot.

Maggy
10-05-2005, 09:15
Can I ask why it is necessary to eat something that is so hot.I eat food for nutrition,to satisfy hunger and for enjoyment which would include a pleasant flavour.How can burning out your taste buds so you cannot taste anything be a pleasure.

I make a lot of curries and I like to mix and use different spices when making these curries.If I add too much chillies then it becomes inedible...What's the point? :shrug:

philip.j.fry
10-05-2005, 09:41
Can I ask why it is necessary to eat something that is so hot.

Answer A: It's just a p***ing contest :)

Answer B: After a while you become used to the heat and you start to notice the subtle flavours of the foods you are eating so you actually get to enjoy a much wider range of dishes. Also, I think hot foods are supposed to be quite healthy and they cool you down and keep the mosquitos off :D

allieyoung666
10-05-2005, 09:52
Can I ask why it is necessary to eat something that is so hot.I eat food for nutrition,to satisfy hunger and for enjoyment which would include a pleasant flavour.How can burning out your taste buds so you cannot taste anything be a pleasure.

I make a lot of curries and I like to mix and use different spices when making these curries.If I add too much chillies then it becomes inedible...What's the point? :shrug:
I agree with you coggy, I mean fancy wanting to eat something that could kill you. Or is it a masculine thing:dozey:

BBKing
10-05-2005, 10:39
Can I ask why it is necessary to eat something that is so hot.

I live with a woman who can't eat anything with even black pepper on it without going bright red and coughing, plus a baby for whom it would be a bit cruel to start him on vindaloo (besides...I do the nappies... :shocked: ).

I eat bland food 95% of the time. When I get the chance to grab something with a bit of bite to it, I take all I can get (hence putting tabasco on my boring pasta with tomato sauce). It's kebab night tonight, and I'll have a double helping of chilli sauce, please!

Maggy
10-05-2005, 12:28
I like my food spicy(my heartburn hates it) but still can't see the need to burn out the pain receptors in my tongue though. :erm: As for getting used to it I've been eating curry all my life and never found it possible to get used to it being too hot. :)

I think it is a machismo thing myself. :p:

philip.j.fry
10-05-2005, 13:15
I think it is a machismo thing myself. :p:

I'm only a weedy geek, so I have to find someway to increase my masculinity :p:

Millay
10-05-2005, 13:42
I'm only a weedy geek, so I have to find someway to increase my masculinity :p:

I unfortunatly come from the same camp as you..

I do beleive it is addictive though, I have actually been known to drink a bottle of tobasco sauce for a dare, i dont advise anyoine tries this as it really doesnt sit well in your stomach.

The hottest I will go is 'daves insanity sauce' I first found this down at the chill festival we have down here every year...

http://www.hot-headz.com/ - for more hot stuff than you can shake a stick at..

philip.j.fry
19-05-2005, 16:03
http://www.hot-headz.com/ - for more hot stuff than you can shake a stick at..

How long do they usually take to deliver? I order last thursday evening (so technically the order went through on friday), nearly a week ago now and I've not recieved anything. Should I be hassling them or is this normal?

danielf
19-05-2005, 16:15
<snip>

I do beleive it is addictive though, I have actually been known to drink a bottle of tobasco sauce for a dare, i dont advise anyoine tries this as it really doesnt sit well in your stomach.
<snip>

I once threw up 10 minutes after eating three spoons of Tom Yam Gung in a Bangkok restaurant. Nothing to do with it being off, I just couldn't keep it in my stomach as it was so spicy. :disturbd:

(I like spicy food though, in moderation)

Jules
19-05-2005, 16:23
I have trouble with Kromas so I think I will give this a miss

Ramrod
19-05-2005, 16:31
Yesterday I bought a jar of hot chillies, blended them up with a tube of tomato purÃÃâ€*’©e, added balsamic vinegar, salt and sugar...........instant chilli sauce........yum! :)

Millay
19-05-2005, 17:42
How long do they usually take to deliver? I order last thursday evening (so technically the order went through on friday), nearly a week ago now and I've not recieved anything. Should I be hassling them or is this normal?

There normally quicker than that, unless your ordered one of the rarer sauces lol....

give them a bell on: Tel: + 44 (0) 1453 731052

philip.j.fry
19-05-2005, 18:50
There normally quicker than that, unless your ordered one of the rarer sauces lol....

give them a bell on: Tel: + 44 (0) 1453 731052

I ordered this one (http://www.hot-headz.com/cgi-bin/ProdSel.pl?cat=Hot%20Chile%20Sauces%7cUntouchables %7cDave%27s%20Insanity%20Limited%20Edition%20Priva te%20Reserve%202004), so I suppose that might be one of the rarer ones. Will give them a bell tommorrow I think. Cheers for that!

greencreeper
19-05-2005, 22:27
I would think that if you gave it to someone unsuspecting, the shock could well induce cardiac arrest. Like the article says - those with breathing problems may well just, er, stop breathing. Pure madness.

gary_580
19-05-2005, 22:32
I ordered this one (http://www.hot-headz.com/cgi-bin/ProdSel.pl?cat=Hot%20Chile%20Sauces%7cUntouchables %7cDave%27s%20Insanity%20Limited%20Edition%20Priva te%20Reserve%202004), so I suppose that might be one of the rarer ones. Will give them a bell tommorrow I think. Cheers for that!

:Yikes: £25

Ramrod
19-05-2005, 22:34
I ordered this one (http://www.hot-headz.com/cgi-bin/ProdSel.pl?cat=Hot%20Chile%20Sauces%7cUntouchables %7cDave%27s%20Insanity%20Limited%20Edition%20Priva te%20Reserve%202004)ÂÃ⠀šÃ‚£24.95 each :Yikes: ......those are tiny bottles...........

gary_580
19-05-2005, 22:39
£24.95 each :Yikes: ......those are tiny bottles...........

im sure you can buy Daves insanity sauce at Tescos

Ramrod
19-05-2005, 22:42
im sure you can buy Daves insanity sauce at TescosNot seen it......off to have a look............... :D

gary_580
19-05-2005, 22:43
Not seen it......off to have a look............... :D

i think our Tescos extra does, could be wrong

Ramrod
19-05-2005, 22:50
Can't find it on Tesco.com :(

i think our Tescos extra does, could be wrongYou'd be lucky since it's a niche market product and they probably only sell mainstream stuff.........

gary_580
19-05-2005, 22:51
Can't find it on Tesco.com :(

ill have a look in Tesco.Store tomorrow

does what is available depend on your local store? or do they just offer what every store stocks?

philip.j.fry
20-05-2005, 09:52
:Yikes: £25

I'm not sure whether I'm going to use it yet or just have it as a collectors item. I do have a good recipe in mind for some Flaming Zombie Fajitas, will have to get a pipette to use the stuff though :)

Ramrod
20-05-2005, 10:28
ill have a look in Tesco.Store tomorrow

does what is available depend on your local store? or do they just offer what every store stocks?I have no idea..........any luck at your store?

I'm not sure whether I'm going to use it yet or just have it as a collectors item. I do have a good recipe in mind for some Flaming Zombie Fajitas, will have to get a pipette to use the stuff though :)Are sure that the stuff is a condiment? My 'who dares burns' (second assault) is only to be used in cooking................

philip.j.fry
20-05-2005, 10:47
Are sure that the stuff is a condiment? My 'who dares burns' (second assault) is only to be used in cooking................

It'll go in the fajitas while they're cooking (shortly before the tequila) :D

Mr_love_monkey
20-05-2005, 11:22
It'll go in the fajitas

sounds painful....

Stuart
20-05-2005, 11:27
I have trouble with Kromas so I think I will give this a miss

Sorry, but for a minute I thought you said Kronas. I was going to say "what trouble are you having with him?" :D

Do you mean "Kormas" (as Chicken Korma)?

Taf
20-05-2005, 11:55
I grow my own Habaneros and Tepin (flea) chillis in a custom made chilli house that gives a dry heat that the plants require to produce the capsaicin properly.

I love all things hot and am trying to get hold of mature Naga (cobra) eeds as they are supposed to be THE HOTTEST these days....

And they're not all heat either... remove the seeds and the ribs inside and you lose most of the heat and can really taste the fruitiness in Habaneros. I use these removed parts to make my own chilli sauces (together with spirit vinegar, salt, garlic) which I age for a couple of years before tasting......

I've never had heartburn... or "afterburn" from chillis... I must have a cast iron gut I suppose.....and didn't even cope with pepper until I was 21.....

Jules
20-05-2005, 12:46
Sorry, but for a minute I thought you said Kronas. I was going to say "what trouble are you having with him?" :D

Do you mean "Kormas" (as Chicken Korma)?

Yes i did...."slap"

philip.j.fry
20-05-2005, 12:49
chillis in a custom made chilli house that gives a dry heat that the plants require to produce the capsaicin properly.

If you're willing to share I'd love to know more about this. I'm trying to grow an orange habanero plant at the moment but I'm sad to say it's not doing to well :(

gary_580
20-05-2005, 13:45
I grow my own Habaneros and Tepin (flea) chillis in a custom made chilli house that gives a dry heat that the plants require to produce the capsaicin properly...

huh :confused: if theres no humidity you get leaf drop. Tabasco chillis are grown on Avery island which is very humid too. :confused:

I have no idea..........any luck at your store?

will check on my way home

Ramrod
20-05-2005, 13:49
If you're willing to share I'd love to know more about this. I'm trying to grow an orange habanero plant at the moment but I'm sad to say it's not doing to well :(Growing guide (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/growing.html) :)

gary_580
20-05-2005, 22:01
I have no idea..........any luck at your store?

Couldnt find it, but then again i couldnt see Tabasco either which i know they certainly stock

greencreeper
21-05-2005, 12:33
Pollen is produced on the stamens, and usually ripens between noon and 3 PM every day. Take a moistened water-color paint brush, and pick up some pollen on your brush and transfer it to the other flower centers.
You have to interfere in their sex lives :erm:

Ramrod
22-05-2005, 17:19
I was in my new local Arab open all hours 'supermaket' and what do I see on the fresh produce shelf?--scotch bonnets! I have made chilli paste from them :D

Cobbydaler
19-02-2011, 23:33
The new officially hottest chilli is grown in Grantham at 1,176,182 SHUs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12505344

Chilli used in hand grenades? :shocked:

Near 6 year bump eh? Search before you post... :D