PDA

View Full Version : ntl Broadband at Nottingham University

Honeymonster
07-05-2005, 11:38
Does anyone know if ntl offer broadband internet access in the halls of residence at Nottingham University? The postcode checker on the ntl website says that ntl freedom services are available but that would be broadband over adsl on a BT line. Of course the university offers a broadband service but there are so many restrictions on the service and so much packet loss that gaming and voice over IP are impossible.

I think the only way ntl could supply a service is by adsl over their phone lines that go to all the rooms in the halls, but do they? Alternatively is anyone offering fixed wireless broadband in Nottingham?

bmxbandit
07-05-2005, 12:36
all halls in the the universityare fully cabled, and offer a 10mbit synchronous connection for the measly sum of £60 a year iirc. it is supplied by ntl, but you sort it through the university when you register at the start of the year.

info here (http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/services/sns/about/sns.phtml)

edit: gone up to £70 last year! extortionate... ;)

jrhnewark
07-05-2005, 22:17
Me want! :D

All the Nottingham Uni offers, eh? Nottingham city, Nottingham girls, and 10mb broadband. What more could you want? :tu:

nffc
08-05-2005, 21:16
all halls in the the universityare fully cabled, and offer a 10mbit synchronous connection for the measly sum of £60 a year iirc. it is supplied by ntl, but you sort it through the university when you register at the start of the year.

That's right. Except you really have to go via this silly proxy. The network works (well, most of the time) pretty well, POP3 is intermittent, and the proxies :rolleyes: ... are **** and that's being nice. Sometimes it's faster to turn it off and go through the slow unproxied connection. Well, if the proxies work.

£70 is also a tad dear for basically a LAN connection for 30-ish weeks a year as well.

Oh and don't install the Novell client... it's useless.

Chrysalis
08-05-2005, 23:27
I personally think university internet is way too cheap, £70 for 10mbit too dear? or is £440 better value for 3mbit?

jtwn
09-05-2005, 00:22
No, its the other way round, our internet is too dear.

Chrysalis
09-05-2005, 02:40
heh well if we put prices into proportion then residental users paying university rates would see something like £3.50 a month prices and have 3mbit upload.

philip.j.fry
09-05-2005, 09:30

I see that they've cabled all the Derwent housing accomadation now, I had the misfortune of being there the first year they put them up...we got NTL 1p a minute dial up :rolleyes:

bmxbandit
09-05-2005, 20:26
That's right. Except you really have to go via this silly proxy. The network works (well, most of the time) pretty well, POP3 is intermittent, and the proxies :rolleyes: ... are **** and that's being nice. Sometimes it's faster to turn it off and go through the slow unproxied connection. Well, if the proxies work.
its a few years since i was in halls, so maybe it's got worse since then... but i had no problems with the proxy. never used pop3 though.
£70 is also a tad dear for basically a LAN connection for 30-ish weeks a year as well.
a lan connection... to the internet! 10mbit either way for under a tenner a month, sounds good to me.
agreed.

bdav
09-05-2005, 21:59
Havent any of you bought yourself a router and started reselling the internet yet ;)?

nffc
10-05-2005, 00:05
its a few years since i was in halls, so maybe it's got worse since then... but i had no problems with the proxy. never used pop3 though.
Bleh. Well, the proxy's been fine until this year. It just seems to randomly "die" and it's not necessarily when you'd expect heavy load (ie daytime when all the geeks [lecturers] are in).

a lan connection... to the internet! 10mbit either way for under a tenner a month, sounds good to me.
Not really measured it, but I doubt the d/l speed is actually 10 Mbit/s through the proxies and it blatantly isn't if it's unproxied.

Plus, as I've said, the SNS proxies are ****e. The academic network is **** hot though.

agreed.
Yeah it ****ed my pc up when i first installed it (when I was a naive 1st year). Took a re-format to sort the bloody thing out. Now I'm wiser and it's not as if I need to run anything on there- if I did, I'd just clear off to one of teh public areas with the walkman. :(

Havent any of you bought yourself a router and started reselling the internet yet ;)?
As if. It's against the T+Cs (as is most things actually) and we'd probably get excommunicated or barred from graduating or summat. N*z*s.

bmxbandit
10-05-2005, 00:14
Not really measured it, but I doubt the d/l speed is actually 10 Mbit/s through the proxies and it blatantly isn't if it's unproxied.
ooooooh yeah, it is! i could get well over 1 MByte/sec combined d/l speed from the right server ;)

the netware s/w ddn't actually do anything useful, but slowed down my computer to a crawl :mad:

As if. It's against the T+Cs (as is most things actually) and we'd probably get excommunicated or barred from graduating or summat. N*z*s.
now now, don't tempt Godwin... ;) it would be quite reasonable for them to come down heavy on you for doing something like that!

i seem to remember most of the bandwidth was spent passing tv shows round the intranet...

nffc
10-05-2005, 00:18
ooooooh yeah, it is! i could get well over 1 MByte/sec combined d/l speed from the right server ;)

the netware s/w ddn't actually do anything useful, but slowed down my computer to a crawl :mad:
Bleh. Local server? Because I seriously doubt that I could get a 1 MB/s D rate here. That's only 8 Mb/s though isn't it?

Netware is **** that's not really debateable.

now now, don't tempt Godwin... ;) it would be quite reasonable for them to come down heavy on you for doing something like that!

i seem to remember most of the bandwidth was spent passing tv shows round the intranet...
And rightly so too... £70 is SO much to a university isn't it? :rolleyes:

As for the TV shows, most peeps use Ares these days. Well that's until the SNS block the port... that's all on the secondary connection and what's slowing down the POP3 etc etc... plus, we've had Blaster and Sasser, etc etc [there seems to be a laissez-faire attitude in terms of PC security on campus, the amount of viruses I clear off mates' PCs cos they're not working is astounding] causing hell- it's only HTTP that's re-routed.

bmxbandit
10-05-2005, 00:45
Bleh. Local server? Because I seriously doubt that I could get a 1 MB/s D rate here. That's only 8 Mb/s though isn't it?
nah, american servers. maybe they've throttled the network it now, they were talking about doing it :(

nffc
10-05-2005, 00:47
nah, american servers. maybe they've throttled the network it now, they were talking about doing it :(
I would imagine so. You're 23- are you a postgrad or did you have time out?

bmxbandit
10-05-2005, 01:05
I would imagine so. You're 23- are you a postgrad or did you have time out?done one, about to do the other :p:

Netware is **** that's not really debateable.
its one saving grace: being able to access the unix machines, through hummingbird exceed, without having to get out of bed :D