PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem v STB

jld
07-05-2005, 10:47
Hello...

Just registered with the cable forum and was hoping someone could provide a bit of advice.

I recently had NTL Broadband installed at home via the set top box (1MB connection). I wouldn't say the connection/download speed has been brilliant so I'm thinking over the idea of requesting the cable modem instead.
Can anyone tell me whether there is a noticable difference (performance wise etc) between connecting via the Cable Modem and a STB.
Also the Cable Modem installation itself...is it pretty much straight forward.

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Graham M
07-05-2005, 10:50
In my experience the CableModem seems to be a lot more stable than the STB for Internet Connection, im considering requesting one myself.

Chrysalis
07-05-2005, 22:51
Should be no comparison really, the cable modem is dedicated to the job it only has to handle the internet.

Also with a STB are you forced to have the pc near the tv?

masterhazzard
07-05-2005, 23:04
They should be both the same, I have my STB connected to a Wireless Linksys router which is in another room with no problems, to check your speed try going to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Ignition
07-05-2005, 23:32
A new standalone generally won't make much difference, infact if the STB is a Samsung the cable modem / CPU in it is better than the Ambit modem.

paulyoung666
07-05-2005, 23:39
good grief , could someone have not :welcome:'d the guy , ahhh whoops i just did :D :D :D :D

Matth
08-05-2005, 23:02
Ok, Welcome - and I'd suggest you serve out your 12 month contract (I hope you got SOME kind of deal, like 3 for 30), and then look for better (BT line required).

A quota crippled 1Mbit for £17.99 just does not shape up against unquota'd or generous quota 512k ADSL for less money - unless you want to do not very much, twice as fast!

Until a while ago (the 300k lowest speed upgrade), STB users benefited from certain quirks in the way the speeds were handled, the only one left may be a higher upload speed.

bazza7676
11-05-2005, 15:51
How easy its it to get NTL to install a cable modem as opposed to using the Samsung stb (broadband not working) I'm suppose to be at the moment

orangebird
11-05-2005, 16:10
Hello...

Just registered with the cable forum and was hoping someone could provide a bit of advice.

I recently had NTL Broadband installed at home via the set top box (1MB connection). I wouldn't say the connection/download speed has been brilliant so I'm thinking over the idea of requesting the cable modem instead.
Can anyone tell me whether there is a noticable difference (performance wise etc) between connecting via the Cable Modem and a STB.
Also the Cable Modem installation itself...is it pretty much straight forward.

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Unless you've reported your slow speeds to Faults, and an engineer finds a fault that cannot be fixed, you will not be able to request an SACM. Any fake 'fault' callouts will result in a call out charge on your account too.