PDA

View Full Version : 30-40 minutes to get connected!

bardofely
19-09-2003, 16:10
I used to think ntlworld provided a great and cheap service years ago when I first joined but I no longer hold this opinion after finding the quality of service getting worse and worse! For nearly 12 months now I have had connection problems but it has been so bad for the past few months that 10-15 minutes is pretty normal on a bad day for getting a dial-up connection and on a really frustrating day, like today, it has gone as far as 40 minutes of dialling and failing to connect to a remote computer. It is most mind-numbing and at the same time very frustrating to be dialling again and again and hearing a click each time you fail to connect! :mad:
Meanwhile on the Sci-fi Channel, which is one of my fave channels, we are subjected to that idiotic ntlworld Broadband advert, in which a young lad echoes his father with "it has to be ntlworld" and an attractive, but now extremely irritating young woman, asks "are you up to the challenge?" Well, I am but I don't think ntlworld are! :D

Bard

Chris
19-09-2003, 16:43
I used ntlworld dial-up in the days when it was free and connection was pretty atrocious for me then. But, it was free so I saw no reason to complain. I moved to BB before they introduced charging for dial-up but kind of assumed in the back of my mind that if people were paying for dial-up then it would get better.

If that's not the case, then shame on them! You ought to complain; there can be no justification for such poor connectivity and you never know, there might be a specific problem in your area that might get fixed.

bardofely
19-09-2003, 17:19
Thanx for yr feedback, Towny & I thought as a paying customer it would be OK too, but it isn't and hasn't been for a long time. I sent in a complaint to ntlworld well over a week ago. I decided to post here today cos I was just so mad at spending nearly 40 minutes trying to get online! :mad:

Bard

danielf
19-09-2003, 17:47
Just a thought. Have you tried updating your modem drivers? I used to have difficulty connecting to NTL when I was on dial up, and my problems disappeared when I updated the drivers. Funny thing was, I had no difficulty connecting to another ISP.

bardofely
19-09-2003, 18:08
Thanx, for the suggestion, Danielf, I'll look into this as a solution.

Bard :)

imback
19-09-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by danielf
Just a thought. Have you tried updating your modem drivers? I used to have difficulty connecting to NTL when I was on dial up, and my problems disappeared when I updated the drivers. Funny thing was, I had no difficulty connecting to another ISP.

Yeah that is what I'd suggest, different set ups act diferently on different ISP's.

bardofely
19-09-2003, 20:21
Thanx Imback, for adding weight to Danielf's suggestion!

Bard :)

dieselglider
20-09-2003, 09:00
What telephone number are you dialling for connection?