PDA

View Full Version : Good Summer - Bad Winter ??

Nemesis
19-09-2003, 14:29
Well, it's doing the rounds now ...

"We've had such a good summer, the winter is bound to be a bad one".

Not so sure I agree with this, but what do you lot think?

Fortune Telling glass orbs at the ready. Is it going to be a bad one or a mild one ?

Chris
19-09-2003, 14:57
There isn't a computer in the world powerful enough to model that far ahead. There are too many variables in the global climate to be able to say one season will be a certain way because another was a certain way.

That said, my mother's arthritis has never let us down, it says we're in for lots of snow .. yay! :D

kronas
19-09-2003, 14:58
Originally posted by towny

That said, my mother's arthritis has never let us down, it says we're in for lots of snow .. yay! :D

*likes snow wants it to snow alot around his area :D

Dave Stones
19-09-2003, 15:32
Originally posted by kronas
*likes snow wants it to snow alot around his area :D

never happens...

danielf
19-09-2003, 15:35
Originally posted by Nemesis
Well, it's doing the rounds now ...

"We've had such a good summer, the winter is bound to be a bad one".

Not so sure I agree with this, but what do you lot think?

Fortune Telling glass orbs at the ready. Is it going to be a bad one or a mild one ?

Define Bad. Is that Snow and nice crisp cold, or wet (rain) and miserable?

I like a proper winter.

Edit: yeah, yeah: define proper. I like snow and crisp cold.

Nemesis
19-09-2003, 15:38
Originally posted by danielf
Define Bad. Is that Snow and nice crisp cold, or wet (rain) and miserable?

I like a proper winter.

Edit: yeah, yeah: define proper. I like snow and crisp cold.

Bad : Strong winds, hail, pounding rain, no brightness, wet wet and more wet, more hail, no sun

Oh god now I'm depressed

ic14
19-09-2003, 15:40
Well, i hope it snows, i love it!
Although i also like it when it rains! :spin:

Russ
19-09-2003, 15:45
Just a tip - stay well away from yellow snow :D

ic14
19-09-2003, 15:49
Originally posted by Russ D
Just a tip - stay well away from yellow snow :D
:LOL::D

trebor
19-09-2003, 16:47
yellow snow makes colorful snowmen ;)
look here for general weather chat and opinions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?board=weather

Jerrek
25-09-2003, 06:56
So does it ever get cold in Britain?

We can expect snow middle of December or earlier even. It won't stop till mid April. Eh. What fun.... three or four times a week getting up earlier to do some snow shoveling. (We get *lots* of snow. In fact, some times you can jump our your window on the second floor and not get hurt.)

Scarlett
25-09-2003, 08:34
Well I have to say that I'm not hoping for a white christmas this year.

I've got to drive to my parents on Christmas morning and that journey will be a lot more enjoyable if there is no snow.

Actually I take it back, it'll be more enjoyable if there is a lot of snow*. But my car (and us) is more likely to get there in one piece

Scarlett,

* Guess who was the only person in the office during that last lot of snow storms!

Chris
25-09-2003, 09:05
Originally posted by Jerrek
So does it ever get cold in Britain?

We can expect snow middle of December or earlier even. It won't stop till mid April. Eh. What fun.... three or four times a week getting up earlier to do some snow shoveling. (We get *lots* of snow. In fact, some times you can jump our your window on the second floor and not get hurt.)

Probably not the way you would understand 'cold', no! Despite the latitude of the British Isles, we have a relatively temperate climate as we sit right in the path of the Gulf Stream, a current of warm water that comes across the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico.

Certain parts of the UK do get significant amounts of snow each year, but these are mainly the mountainous areas of Scotland. The rest of the country gets a little snow most years, but not too often - which means when we do get an inch of the stuff, civilisation collapses because we don't know how to handle it.

spacedhopper
25-09-2003, 11:16
Taken from: http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/othxmas.asp

Christmas forecast headline: Bitterly cold air close by
Our initial forecast for Christmas Day this year suggests there is a possibility of a White Christmas in some parts of the UK. It looks as though the weather will turn bitterly cold during the Xmas / New Year week, and Christmas Day itself may be when the transition from milder conditions begins. However, at this stage it looks more likely that the transition to much colder conditions will occur between the 26th December and the 28th December.

Issued 23/09/03