PDA

View Full Version : CHAPS payments

Dave Stones
05-05-2005, 16:20
these are same day payments from bank to bank, yes.... is it simply a case of going up to the bank and providing my account details, the other persons account details and the £20 fee, and it is near instant? or is there other things involveD? got a big purchase coming up, this is going to be the easiest method...

hsbc website is less than clear :erm:

Angua
05-05-2005, 16:33
these are same day payments from bank to bank, yes.... is it simply a case of going up to the bank and providing my account details, the other persons account details and the £20 fee, and it is near instant? or is there other things involveD? got a big purchase coming up, this is going to be the easiest method...

hsbc website is less than clear :erm:

CHAPS payments I received from my Solicitor were not immediate (seemed to take about 3 days and cost me £30).:( If you will be collecting your purchase why not take a Bankers Draft (these are free and can be made out to whoever you want (we did this for the Beemer).

Chris
05-05-2005, 16:34
You should be able to do it at the branch or on the phone. They will ask you for proof of ID (or ask many questions on the phone) and they will take the fee straight from your bank account. Should be straightforward other than that.

CHAPS payments I received from my Solicitor were not immediate (seemed to take about 3 days and cost me £30).:( If you will be collecting your purchase why not take a Bankers Draft (these are free and can be made out to whoever you want (we did this for the Beemer).

Bank drafts aint free (well not from Barclays, anyway). I have always been charged a tenner. But yes, they are nice and straightforward, and cheaper than a CHAPS payment.

SMHarman
05-05-2005, 16:40
You will probably need some additional ID, passport, drivers licence, they will probably take the £20 from your account instead of you paying it and yes that is about it.

They may send it by SWIFT instead of CHAPS, but both are much the same. It is same day rather than instant - it is instant bank to bank, but once at the other bank the processes to allocate it to the correct bank account within the bank vary in their efficiency and thus speed.

CHAPS payments I received from my Solicitor were not immediate (seemed to take about 3 days and cost me £30).:( If you will be collecting your purchase why not take a Bankers Draft (these are free and can be made out to whoever you want (we did this for the Beemer).A CHAPS / SWIFT payment has a 'value date' on it, it will be recieved by your bank as soon as it is send (or about 250ms actually) but as I said above allocation can be less efficient.
The value date ensures that the bank effectivly treat it as arrived on value date.

Paul
05-05-2005, 18:34
Why can't you use a cheque ?

Raistlin
05-05-2005, 18:37
And there was me thinking you were buying leather trousers Dave ;)

Dave Stones
05-05-2005, 19:51
Why can't you use a cheque ?

cos cheques take several days to clear....

gary_580
05-05-2005, 21:12
you could always go to the bank, withdraw the cash, walk to a branch of the other persons bank and pay the cash in.

Paul
05-05-2005, 21:54
cos cheques take several days to clear....You didn't mention this as a problem anywhere in your posts. Cash or Bank Drafts are the quickest method. :)