PDA

View Full Version : Setting up wireless card on restricted policy laptop

McGraw
05-05-2005, 10:38
I'm going round to my Dad's tonight to set him up wirelessly.

He has bought a Belkin 125 adsl modem/router, pcmcia and pci card combo which, if anyone is interested was £100 from savastore.com.

I know that setting up the wireless connection to his desktop will be easy as I obviously gave him administration rights when I set his PC up.

The problem will be with his laptop. Ideally I would like to set this up for him so we can test out the ideal location for the router but his account is restricted to a domain user.

As an educated guess, bearing in mind no-one apart from his IT department knows his exact access rights, do you think I will be able to configure his laptop for him or will his work have to do it?

I.e. do you need admin rights to set up a wireless network on Win2k SP4 with a PCMCIA card?

Cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
05-05-2005, 10:43
You may not need admin rights for the wireless itself, if the PC can automate the install and use the inbuilt windows software. If yo have to add software specific to the card, or using the card changed windows settings, admin rights would probaby be needed.

Depends on the network it is intended to be used with but you might even have to make some changes to the settings or whatever to change from the specific domain it expects to use, and the new wireless one. The existing network card might be bound to a specific IP address or range, as well as the domain. IE or similar could have links to use specific proxys.

McGraw
05-05-2005, 11:29
I doubt I will be able to get it to work but will try anyway.

Thanks.