PDA

View Full Version : Comet Crap Customer Service

etccarmageddon
04-05-2005, 10:16
Took delivery of my new fridge/freezer today from Comet and was suprised at the attitude of their customer service phone line.

There's a sticker on the side which I had to remove as it's white on silver and the visible area. After removing sticker it leaves a glue residue which takes 30 mins of attempting to remove with hot soapy water before I give up - now there is an ugly mark on the fridge/freezer.

So I ring Comet and there response is "I'll check with the warehouse to see if we can give you a discount" and then they put me on hold. I think there's no amount of money that will make any difference, I want it fixed or replaced.

The girl comes back on the line to say that as the sticker was put on by the manufacterer there is nothing they can do as it isnt their fault.

I said to her that 'you are aware of the sale of goods act arent you?' and 'I want you to replace this or refund me etc'.

Not helpful at all.

The response was that they will not do anything to fix or replace it and all they can do is transfer me back to the branch I purchased it from - this was only after I said that I would be going to trading standards!

I spoke to the branch who had a better attitude but suggested I used Terps or White Spirit on it - I pointed out this is a metal surface and shiny so I was not confident in case it made a mess of it. They said they would try it there and let me know!

I think I will ask them to replace or come over and fix it or I will complain to trading standards.

Paul K
04-05-2005, 10:22
There is a substance you can buy that will dissolve the residue and leave the surface as good as new. Not exactly the best solution in the world I know but it might be the only thing you can do. I wish manufaturers would put labels in sensible places instead of leaving the customer with hours of scrubbing to get the glue off :(
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=SearchEngine&U=SiteMap&ModuleNo=25350
Also some people get good results with WD40 on glue residue.

etccarmageddon
04-05-2005, 10:36
just used nail varnish remover as suggested by her indoors - most of the glue has gone but there's still a faint mark - how sodding annoying!

orangebird
04-05-2005, 10:36
Vinegar is good too.

etccarmageddon
04-05-2005, 10:47
yeah I did think about using Vinegar but didnt have any in and didnt want to risk using anything other than soapy water in case I made it worse and therefore removed my right to reject it.

Salu
04-05-2005, 10:52
You can get something called Zoff which is mostly used as a plaster remover (minor injuries) This "dissolves" solvents and is pretty good with stickers.

Electrolyte01
04-05-2005, 10:59
Me and my parents have bought a lot of things from Comet, we have never had a problem with them :erm:

zoombini
04-05-2005, 11:53
ISOPROPONOL is good for that sort of thing, it leaves no marks.

But yes, the manuf should not put them somewhere that would leave a mark.
This is a matter for Comet to fix then claim back off the manuf.

Nugget
04-05-2005, 12:11
Sorry etc, but I'm a bit confused as to what the Sale of Goods Act has got to do with it :confused:

The fridge freezer is fit for the purpose for which it was intended (ie it'll still keep stuff cold), so SOGA surely doesn't apply?

Having said that, it's been almost 8 years since I studied Business Law, so I'm prepared to accept that I'm wrong!

paulyoung666
04-05-2005, 12:25
i know where i would be now , standing in comet demanding to see the manager ( politely of course ) , and then if i was starting to get nowhere the volume would get raised until i got it sorted , its worked before , i cant see why it wont this time ;) :D :D :D

Escapee
04-05-2005, 12:26
ISOPROPONOL is good for that sort of thing, it leaves no marks.

But yes, the manuf should not put them somewhere that would leave a mark.
This is a matter for Comet to fix then claim back off the manuf.

Thats exactly what I would use.

Monster Jedi
04-05-2005, 12:30
How sad can one get over a sticker a bit of dried glue. The mark will go it wont be there forever

Nugget
04-05-2005, 12:42
How sad can one get over a sticker a bit of dried glue. The mark will go it wont be there forever

Well, I don't think it's sad - etc has a valid gripe.

I've already said that, personally, I don't think it's a SOGA issue but, when you go and look at these things, they are either pristine white / chrome / whatever.

I think that the main problem is that they always seem to use this industrial stuff that's almost impossible to get off and, at the end of the day, you're paying for a 'clean' product.

Graham
04-05-2005, 13:05
Sorry etc, but I'm a bit confused as to what the Sale of Goods Act has got to do with it :confused:

"Of Satisfactory Quality".

If it arrived with a big mark on the site due to damage in transit you'd be quite entitled to reject it. As this mark was removable it's a little bit different, but the attitude of Comet's CS still sucks.

Tuftus
04-05-2005, 13:16
Lighter Fluid is great for removing the stick mess left behind by labels etc...

Nugget
04-05-2005, 13:20
"Of Satisfactory Quality".

If it arrived with a big mark on the site due to damage in transit you'd be quite entitled to reject it. As this mark was removable it's a little bit different, but the attitude of Comet's CS still sucks.

That's my point really - the mark is removable (if you're willing to spend about 4 hours scrubbing ;) ). Unfortunatly, the 'of satisfactory quality' is one of those wooly phrases, but I know what you're saying.

I agree with the whole thing that the attitude of Comet sucks - I was just a bit confused really :)

etccarmageddon
05-05-2005, 08:10
the attitude of the customer services line sucked.

the staff at the branch were interested in helping me when I rang and called me back to say use terps, white spirit or nail varnish remover.

I've used nail varnish remover (dont have the other liquids) and most of it's gone but there's still a mark there! Four hours of scrubbing to go!

I'm puzzled why they have a central call centre as they appear to be useless at diplomacy!

josh1109
10-08-2009, 19:44
hello, i got a story about comet 4 u .

on 4th july i went to crayford at comet and asked salesman called joshua 2 show me laptops for mainly gaming and also msn,etc.

so he recommends a toshhiba laptop 2 me, so we go get money out and end up buyin it , so about 30 days later i buy 1st game sims 3, didnt work so dat ****ed me off den i go and buy SIMS 2! nd yet agen dont work loads of games sayin they dont recognize the graphics card so after a bit of research i discover that the laptop is completely useless for gaming and the graphics card is load of crap.

so we ring them up and ask what we can do so they say put us through to manager and he says he will talk to salesman and call us back ,fair enough but we now have made 10
!! phone calls and aint heard anything of manager since,but deputy manager rung us up few days b4 the 10th phone call nd accepted that they misold us the item and offerered exchange but thing is we bought a desktop(runs perfectly) from currys so no point in exchange so now we cant get hold of manager or deputy manager but they keep sayin the manager will ring us tommorow..

USELESS AINT THE WORD!.

worse customer service and store in history in my opinion.

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 19:56
As Paul said Maplins (as well as many other suppliers) sell a label remover, we used to use it to remove secirty/PAT test/Warranty/Customer labels off monitors, printers and many other items. It's ever so easy to use and if it does leave a trace (depends on the label) it's only oily residue and can be removed with a bit of W-U-L on a cloth. One other very important thing is that it doesn't damage the plastic or paint.

LSainsbury
11-08-2009, 13:07
And that post was dated on the..... Kymmy? ;)

etccarmageddon
11-08-2009, 15:55
the fridge/freezer is still working nicely. thanks for the comments.

STONEISLAND
11-08-2009, 16:04
the fridge/freezer is still working nicely. thanks for the comments.

Has the stain gone? :confused:

Stephen
11-08-2009, 17:14
hello, i got a story about comet 4 u .

on 4th july i went to crayford at comet and asked salesman called joshua 2 show me laptops for mainly gaming and also msn,etc.

so he recommends a toshhiba laptop 2 me, so we go get money out and end up buyin it , so about 30 days later i buy 1st game sims 3, didnt work so dat ****ed me off den i go and buy SIMS 2! nd yet agen dont work loads of games sayin they dont recognize the graphics card so after a bit of research i discover that the laptop is completely useless for gaming and the graphics card is load of crap.

so we ring them up and ask what we can do so they say put us through to manager and he says he will talk to salesman and call us back ,fair enough but we now have made 10
!! phone calls and aint heard anything of manager since,but deputy manager rung us up few days b4 the 10th phone call nd accepted that they misold us the item and offerered exchange but thing is we bought a desktop(runs perfectly) from currys so no point in exchange so now we cant get hold of manager or deputy manager but they keep sayin the manager will ring us tommorow..

USELESS AINT THE WORD!.

worse customer service and store in history in my opinion.Great spelling and grammer there!

How are they useless? they called you and offered an exchange?

Waldo Pepper
11-08-2009, 17:15
And with the state of affairs here and in Afghanistan. This is all you have to worry about?