PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo advice

Russ
03-05-2005, 20:48
I've decided to take the plunge and get a tat.

I'm going to have my daughter's initials on the inside of my left forearm with a Mature MT font. I know it'll hurt but what is the pain like? Someone told me it's like having a cigarette stubbed out on your skin, is that an accurate analogy?

How long do they usually take to heal? The same person told me it depends on the individual but is normally around 3 to 4 weeks.

Also it'll cost me £40 - is that an average rate?

The place I'm going to is licenced, hygienic and well-recommended...

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:50
What design are you going for Russ?

Russ
03-05-2005, 20:51
Two letters, AE with an italic Mature MT font.

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:54
If they are a girls initials, my only advice would be ask the tat guy for plan b advice incase it all goes tits up...

My mate had one of his ladies name and then had a blazin row, needless to say he kinda regrets it now...

Russ
03-05-2005, 20:55
Reading the first post should give you a hint as to whose initials they are.... ;)

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:57
D'oh....

Its common knowledge I am a :dunce:

Hope it goes well mate!

Chris W
03-05-2005, 20:58
The place by the station in swansea is really good-
been there a couple of times with mates (i'm not a tattoo person)

£70 for a celtic design covering a whole calf muscle
£25 for a small custom design in one colour.

£40 does sound quite steep- prices normal depend on size and number of colours!

gooner4life
03-05-2005, 21:04
Russ I would best describe it as being scratched with the lid of a Biro (the open hole'd type) its more irritating than painful, it can also be quite relaxing.

£40 for 2 letters seems a bit steep though in my opinion but then its probably the cheapest they do if they are one of the better places.

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 21:09
Russ I would best describe it as being scratched with the lid of a Biro (the open hole'd type) its more irritating than painful, it can also be quite relaxing.

£40 for 2 letters seems a bit steep though in my opinion but then its probably the cheapest they do if they are one of the better places.

somewhere near i reckon , although some peoples pain thresholds are lower than others :erm: , as for healing i was told to use lasonil ( pile cream ) :disturbd: , did the trick though :tu: , as for cost , maybe a little steep but a bit of an awkward one to call properly , if the place you are going to use is good then they will talk to you before getting one done and put any fears you have to bed for you , just be 100% sure you want it doing :tu: :)

gooner4life
03-05-2005, 21:17
I used Savlon on mine, I got the cream and the anti-septic spray to cool it when it started itching, I think the healing is the worst part personally :disturbed: all that itching...ARGHHHHHHHH lol

Im thinking of getting my sons name down the inside of my forearm didnt notice thats where Russ said he wanted to get his at first.

Seems a popular place at the moment, my only worry is for employment reasons some places wont allow a short sleeve shirt if you have a tattoo on view god knows why in this day and age.

Russ
03-05-2005, 21:18
The place by the station in swansea is really good-
been there a couple of times with mates (i'm not a tattoo person)

Dai Pie! He's good, or so I've heard. Skin Ink on Mansel Street is good too, it's where I had my belly button pierce :D

£40 does sound quite steep- prices normal depend on size and number of colours!

It'll be fairly large but just the one colour - I'll prolly shop around though.

bb31
03-05-2005, 21:21
I also was told to used pile cream, god knows who from, but it bought the colour off a bit, so i would stick to vasoline if i were you. Regarding the pain, well i would rather have 10 kids than have another tattoo anyday!!

Mines half finished cos i didnt want them to carry on lol

gooner4life
03-05-2005, 21:23
Vaseline draws the colour out apparantly but I think a lot of it is just urban myths.

ooh just thought I was also told to try and get some Tattoo Goo but I couldnt find it back then, (back in the days of dial up, searching was painful) im sure you will be able to source some of that, its herbal and supposed to be the best thing for a tattoo.

bb31
03-05-2005, 21:26
Vaseline draws the colour out apparantly but I think a lot of it is just urban myths.

confused now..............well with the pile cream, there was loads of black coming when i rubbed it in!! Maybe have a word with the tattooist for the best advice

gooner4life
03-05-2005, 21:28
confused now..............well with the pile cream, there was loads of black coming when i rubbed it in!! Maybe have a word with the tattooist for the best advice

You will most likely find that was actually bits of the scab coming off as you rubbed it in, the black bits (generally outline) normally scab a bit thinner and come off quicker and easier than the rest as it heals the quickest.

AndrewJ
03-05-2005, 21:51
Want a Wax first Russ_D make it easier honest I can even video the whole thing for maximum entertainment.

;)

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 21:54
Want a Wax first Russ_D make it easier honest I can even video the whole thing for maximum entertainment.

;)

Now there's something that we would probably all pay to see :D

gary_580
03-05-2005, 22:08
I also was told to used pile cream, god knows who from, but it bought the colour off a bit, so i would stick to vasoline if i were you. Regarding the pain, well i would rather have 10 kids than.........

glad i read the title first :D

Russ make sure the tatooist cant do ampersands!!

zoombini
03-05-2005, 22:13
Just make sure that you have a good printout of what you want.

Spelling mistakes or errors are forever...

Well almost, my wife is just about to have training for a tattoo removal service (when they can find someone in the UK to train her).

How about just buying a lifetime supply of rub on transfers instead, less painfull :D

Maggy
03-05-2005, 22:30
This thread has made me feel rather faint... :(

Angua
03-05-2005, 22:31
According to my other half American Inks are the best (for colour), and the needles are somewhat like a beard trimmer held at the wrong angle.

Xaccers
03-05-2005, 22:38
According to my other half American Inks are the best (for colour), and the needles are somewhat like a beard trimmer held at the wrong angle.

I was just going to suggest american inks!
my ex has a flower and leaves down her back in american inks, looks much nicer than standard colours, more vibrant yet pastel like.
And I'm someone who doesn't like the look of tats!

Be careful Russ as they can be very addictive!

Just out of interest, I know a while back you mentioned about no longer having piercings etc due to damaging/disfiguring your body which god has given you. Have I remembered wrong or has something changed? Just interested.

greencreeper
03-05-2005, 22:41
Brave bloke! :nworthy:

I've had my Hep A and B jabs but I'd still need a few rum n cokes before having one done. I'm a wuss :blush:

ikthius
03-05-2005, 23:20

I'm going to have my daughter's initials on the inside of my left forearm with a Mature MT font. I know it'll hurt but what is the pain like? Someone told me it's like having a cigarette stubbed out on your skin, is that an accurate analogy?

How long do they usually take to heal? The same person told me it depends on the individual but is normally around 3 to 4 weeks.

the best advice I can give you, as I have one, is make sure you really really want one.

it will be very sore on the sensitive part of your forearm, think about nipping your forearm very hard, continuosly for about 30 mins, while heating your skin up slightly, then you should have the smae kind of pain. some people can handle pain more than other.

the outline will be the sorest, as this is done with fewer needles, so at that point they will show you the tat, if you like it, then they will continue if you want, you can ask just for the outline, if it is getting too sore. but getting it coloured in is the easiest, there are more needles so it is more like a biro going over your skin, plus your skin is a bit numb with the pain.

the price sounds right, depending on the size of the fonts! this size, you are paying far too much,
this size is still paying too much even if it is bold

something bigger (about 3-4 times bigger) in bold should be about right, and still that depends on colours.

try to have a chat with the tatoo artist, to discus what exactly what you want, the better ones should chat to you in one session free, then get you in for it, they will judge to see if you really want one, and can handle it, or see if you are a pansy. :D

check out how clean it is before hand, go in and have a look. does the guy clean up after him with chemicals? does he wear sterile gloves all the time? and change them for every client? is the establishment very spotless? is it bright so that you can see how clean, and so that the artist can see what they are doing?

healing takes about 2-4 weeks depending on the individual, and what you do to help your healing. e.g. not rubbing or picking at it, even when cleaning yourself. how much you bang the area. keep it moisturised with a good antiseptic cream. and did I mention DO NOT PICK AT IT.
when it scabs up, let it all fall off naturally, this is vital if you do not want to go and have it done again, or touched up. remember you will bleed alot the first day, but you bleed with another colour..

but be warned, they are very addictive, you will not think so at the time, but you do tend to want another one eventually.

good luck, any chance of seeing it the way you want it, I don't have that font.

and show us the pics, of it, just after it has been done.

ik

gary_580
04-05-2005, 08:58
At the risk of being flamed i'd say "What a dumb example to set you daughter"

paulyoung666
04-05-2005, 09:02

go on , tell us why :confused:

Bifta
04-05-2005, 09:02

£40 is about right, fairly cheap if you ask me. I've several and the only one that hurt was the one that went down over my calf bone and it certainly didn't hurt half as much as you've been told. Most of mine took around a week to heal and always use pile cream on them, heals them a lot faster.

Xaccers
04-05-2005, 09:53

Because children have a tendancy to see their parents doing something and think it's ok (smoking for instance would be a bad one for them to copy)
Lets be honest, most people judge people on looks rather than giving them the benifit of the doubt, and as such, many have a very low view of people who have tats.
By having a tattoo, you are exposing yourself to this, which could possibly restrict oppertunities in life.
Imagine if you didn't get the job you wanted because the interviewer didn't like the fact you had tats. of course you'd never know it was because of that.
Most parents want their children to have every oppertunity to get ahead in life, so having a tattoo could potentially restrict that (through no fault of the person who has the tattoo, I must stress that!)

Nugget
04-05-2005, 10:25
I'd agree with Bifta on this one - I've got 3 and the only one that hurt at all was the one on my shoulder blade (and I think that that was mostly because I couldn't see what was happening).

As for the price, 40 quid does sound about right - I've got an Ankh on my right arm that cost £20 about 8 years ago (but it's mostly black with a hint of red.)

gary_580
04-05-2005, 10:41

Im sure Russ is going to over the moon the day his daughter comes home with a tatoo

paulyoung666
04-05-2005, 11:06
Im sure Russ is going to over the moon the day his daughter comes home with a tatoo

throw it out to russ then , what do you reckon :erm: :)

gooner4life
04-05-2005, 11:38
On the flipside, My Nan on my Dads side (who I never met) had quite a few tattoo's, my Dad hated them and never had any neither did my Mum.

I on the other hand have 2, my brother has 9 and all 3 of my sisters have 1 each.

Now my brothers son who is 24 has none, my sisters eldest who is 18 has none, so dont just assume a child will always follow there parents.

orangebird
04-05-2005, 11:53
I don't mind them on men really - I'm not crazy about them, but my boyfriend has two (one onn each upper arm), and they're OK. But not on girls. Cheap, tacky and when you get old and wrinkly, don't forget your tattoo will do too. :erm:

gary_580
04-05-2005, 12:42
throw it out to russ then , what do you reckon :erm: :)

as this is Russ's thread i thought i had already :rolleyes:

Nugget
04-05-2005, 12:47

But why is it a dumb example? If Russ chooses to get a tattoo of his daughters initials, that's entirely down to him. If I remember rightly, his daughter is still quite young so, to be honest, it won't have any effect on her.

To be honest, I think that you're making an unfair comment. I have 3 tattoos and Mrs Nug has 2. At the minute, we haven't got any kids but, if we do in the future, have we set a pre-emptive dumb example? No, we haven't - we chose to get them when we did and, at the end of the day, it doesn't really have anything to do with anybody else.

Russ daughter will always be his daughter so why shouldn't he get a tattoo to 'commemorate' that fact - TBH, and this is purely my opinion, it's only really the same thing as carrying a picture of her in his wallet because, whenever he sees the tattoo, he'll be reminded of his little girl.

gary_580
04-05-2005, 12:54
But why is it a dumb example? If Russ chooses to get a tattoo of his daughters initials, that's entirely down to him. If I remember rightly, his daughter is still quite young so, to be honest, it won't have any effect on her.

To be honest, I think that you're making an unfair comment. I have 3 tattoos and Mrs Nug has 2. At the minute, we haven't got any kids but, if we do in the future, have we set a pre-emptive dumb example? No, we haven't - we chose to get them when we did and, at the end of the day, it doesn't really have anything to do with anybody else.

Russ daughter will always be his daughter so why shouldn't he get a tattoo to 'commemorate' that fact - TBH, and this is purely my opinion, it's only really the same thing as carrying a picture of her in his wallet because, whenever he sees the tattoo, he'll be reminded of his little girl.

When i made the comment i was playing devils advocate to see what the reaction would be hence the stating the risk of getting flamed.

My personal view is that if your parent has done it then its ok for you to do it, theres nothing wrong in that except in todays society people seem to think that because their parents did it then they HAVE to, which isnt really the right way to think about it. Your right Nug in that you made the decision to have one but my question is, does that make your offspring do it because you did or would they make the same consideration as you did?

Xaccers
04-05-2005, 13:06

See my post explaining :)

Nugget
04-05-2005, 13:16
See my post explaining :)

I understand what you're saying Xaccers, but I just happen not to agree ;) :angel:

Getting a tattoo is always a personal thing - if you choose to get one, then you choose to get one. However, to use your example of going for jobs, it just takes a bit of nouse to work it out - for example, I would never have a tattoo on my lower arm or neck for two reasons. The first is that, as you say, you may find yourself being interviewed by someone with a massive aversion to tattoos. The second is 'cos tattoos on the neck are 'orrible :p:

An inclination to get a tattoo isn't particularly down to your parents having any - neither of my parents (or my grandparents for that matter) had any but I've got 3 and my older brother has about 7, whereas my twin has none.

TBH, my only probelm with tattoos full stop is people (normally blokes) who insist on having Winnie the Pooh on their legs but, hey, that's just my opinion :D

paulyoung666
04-05-2005, 13:27
as this is Russ's thread i thought i had already :rolleyes:

sorry o superior being ;)

Russ
04-05-2005, 13:40
I
Just out of interest, I know a while back you mentioned about no longer having piercings etc due to damaging/disfiguring your body which god has given you. Have I remembered wrong or has something changed?

Neither.

Once she's 18, she can have whatever tats she wants. Until then it's just not going to happen.

homealone
04-05-2005, 13:49
Once she's 18, she can have whatever tats she wants. Until then it's just not going to happen.

that begged a question 'what is the legal age for a young person to have a tattoo' - and it is 18 - I found this interesting, though

Giving treatments to young people
Under the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969 it is illegal to tattoo a person aged less than 18 years.

There is no legal age of consent for ear and body piercing. Young people can consent to ear or body piercing if they understand the nature of the procedure and its implications. However, it is good practice for businesses to adopt reasonable age restrictions for these treatments. This can help to avoid parental conflict and potential legal complications. Note that carrying out genital or nipple piercing on a person under the age of 16 could, in some circumstances, be regarded as indecent assault.

from http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1074453378

I would be less worried about a son/daughter of mine having an unobtrusive tattoo, than a pierced tongue, for example - my personal opinion, of course, but the law seems a bit asymmetric...

Russ
04-05-2005, 13:54
This is why she can wait until she is 18 if she wants to have one. If it's going to unobtrusive enough for her to have one without me or anyone else seeing it then I can't stop her but if she wants my blessing, she'll need to legally be an adult first.

orangebird
04-05-2005, 13:54
that begged a question 'what is the legal age for a young person to have a tattoo' - and it is 18 - I found this interesting, though

from http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1074453378

I would be less worried about a son/daughter of mine having an unobtrusive tattoo, than a pierced tongue, for example - my personal opinion, of course, but the law seems a bit asymmetric...

But a piercing can be reversed relatively easily, where as a tattoo cannot.

Personally, I'd leave all the tattooing to these freaks (http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/B/bornfreak/beast.html) :erm: :sick:

homealone
04-05-2005, 14:08
But a piercing can be reversed relatively easily, where as a tattoo cannot.

Personally, I'd leave all the tattooing to these freaks (http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/B/bornfreak/beast.html) :erm: :sick:

yes the permanence of a tattoo is a good point, I was thinking more about some of the horror stories I have read about tongue piercing, for example, when it goes wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/399218.stm

- and I know tattooing can also be fraught with risk of blood poisoning, hepatitis, etc, as well, I just thought if it was 18 for tattooing, it should be 18 for piercing, too - again, I stress, that is impo.

Ramrod
04-05-2005, 14:08
Once she's 18, she can have whatever tats she wants. Until then it's just not going to happen.Why not? :confused:

Angua
04-05-2005, 14:19
Locally the only place you can get Body Piercings is the Tattoo Parlour where it states over 18's only. Also these should be licenced by the local council (always worth checking). Even Claire's the accessory shop will only do standard ear lobe piercing to under 18.

Shaun
04-05-2005, 14:57
I had an eyebrow piercing and I really liked it. Took it our a couple of years ago as I thought I'd grown out of it, but at least there's no permanent damage, couldn't see me having a tat, what happens if you get bored.

Bifta
04-05-2005, 15:04
I had an eyebrow piercing and I really liked it. Took it our a couple of years ago as I thought I'd grown out of it, but at least there's no permanent damage, couldn't see me having a tat, what happens if you get bored.

Bored of what? Having a tattoo? It's not a form of entertainment! And as for all you people spouting off about setting an example for your children, have none of you ever done anything in front of your kids that you would consider wrong for them to re-enact? (if the answer is no, then you either don't have kids or you're ned/maud flanders)

Stuart
04-05-2005, 15:11

Bored of what? Having a tattoo? It's not a form of entertainment! And as for all you people spouting off about setting an example for your children, have none of you ever done anything in front of your kids that you would consider wrong for them to re-enact? (if the answer is no, then you either don't have kids or you're ned/maud flanders)

I dunno. Maybe bored with the shape? Bored with the colour?

Shaun
04-05-2005, 15:13

Well I got bored of looking at my piercing in the mirror, what if I got bored of looking at at tat?

Russ
04-05-2005, 15:27
Why not? :confused:

Because I don't like to see kids with tats.

Ramrod
04-05-2005, 15:34
Because I don't like to see kids with tats.But they are ok on adults?.....and the line between child and adult is crossed in a split second on an arbitrary date........ :scratch:
I'm afraid that I'm with the 'no' brigade here. Just my own personal opinion. :)

And as for all you people spouting off about setting an example for your children, have none of you ever done anything in front of your kids that you would consider wrong for them to re-enact? (if the answer is no, then you either don't have kids or you're ned/maud flanders)Just 'cos we sometimes do things we might regret in front of children doesn't mean that we should actively set out to do more such things........

Russ
04-05-2005, 15:34
But they are ok on adults?.....

An adult is free to make up their own mind and have their own responsibility.

Ramrod
04-05-2005, 15:38
An adult is free to make up their own mind and have their own responsibility.............and the line between child and adult is crossed in a split second on an arbitrary date........

Bifta
04-05-2005, 16:47
Just 'cos we sometimes do things we might regret in front of children doesn't mean that we should actively set out to do more such things........

How many activities do adults partake in when their kids are about that kids shouldn't? I'd say there's countless, like .. driving a car, just because I drive, doesn't mean I'm setting an example for my child to drive before she's legally able.

gary_580
04-05-2005, 17:23
sorry o superior being ;)

huh? :confused:

Stuart
04-05-2005, 17:33
Well I got bored of looking at my piercing in the mirror, what if I got bored of looking at at tat?

Us human beans are prone to changing our minds like that..

Maggy
04-05-2005, 17:35
I put my daughter off by pointing out an elderly gent with tattoos.I pointed out that it being something you were stuck with for life that when your skin gets grey and wrinkly so does the tattoo.

Tattos look great on healthy firm young flesh-not so terrific on old,loose and flabbly flesh.

danielf
04-05-2005, 18:03
Us human beans are prone to changing our minds like that..

Who are you calling a bean :erm:

Russ
04-05-2005, 18:06
I put my daughter off by pointing out an elderly gent with tattoos.I pointed out that it being something you were stuck with for life that when your skin gets grey and wrinkly so does the tattoo.

Tattos look great on healthy firm young flesh-not so terrific on old,loose and flabbly flesh.

That's why I'm planning on having it in a place unlikely to 'head south' as I get older :D

aliferste
04-05-2005, 18:09
I am of the opinion that most people jump into get tattoos too quickly. But then I am one of those people who goes through phases of wanting one and then not. I think the problem I have is what if it turns out bad...or it is not exactly the way you imagined.......you are stuck with it!

Saying that in the next few years I pretty much reckon they will develop a way to permanantly remove them so thats ok :)

Russ
04-05-2005, 18:11
I am of the opinion that most people jump into get tattoos too quickly. But then I am one of those people who goes through phases of wanting one and then not. I think the problem I have is what if it turns out bad...or it is not exactly the way you imagined.......you are stuck with it!

This is why I've gone for something I'll never regret - my daughter's initials. I'd never have anything else really, I can be quite fickle sometimes but anything to do with her will make me happy.

aliferste
04-05-2005, 18:22
This is why I've gone for something I'll never regret - my daughter's initials. I'd never have anything else really, I can be quite fickle sometimes but anything to do with her will make me happy.

What if they are too big.....or too small........or in the wrong place......eak these are the things that would make me worried. But then I suppose tatooists know best :)

Russ
04-05-2005, 18:24
What if they are too big.....or too small........or in the wrong place......eak these are the things that would make me worried. But then I suppose tatooists know best :)

Aha! Therein lies the deception! On the weekend I had a henna-style tat of the size and font that I wish to use - so I know exactly where I want it and what size.

Ramrod
04-05-2005, 18:37
How many activities do adults partake in when their kids are about that kids shouldn't? I'd say there's countless, like .. Absalutely, but doesn't mean we should be adding to them.........

aliferste
04-05-2005, 18:44
Aha! Therein lies the deception! On the weekend I had a henna-style tat of the size and font that I wish to use - so I know exactly where I want it and what size.

Good idea :)

Now where can I find a leaping purple dragon henna tatoo big enough for my chest :)

gary_580
04-05-2005, 18:59
That's why I'm planning on having it in a place unlikely to 'head south' as I get older :D

viagra man!