PDA

View Full Version : setting up wireless access - minimum spec

loftus
03-05-2005, 10:51
Hi

Have just had broadband installed and am currently connected to CM using long length of ethernet cable.
This is inconvenient and I am about to go out and buy a wireless router and USB adapter (I dont want to open up the PC).
A couple of questions.
Will I need to reconfigure anything when switching from the ethernet to USB connection?
I'd like to wirelessly connect, also with a USB adapter, the old laptop we used to use for dial-up but it only has 32mb of RAM. Will I be able to access broadband with this?

Ta

Sorry to reply to my own message but I have noticed something called an ethernet bridge. Can I use this to connect my PC to a wireless router and would it be better than a USB connector?

God I'm so ignorant!

SMHarman
03-05-2005, 11:16
OK many questions and a couple of answers.

1. Why when they installed your CM did you let / ask them to install it so far from the (desktop) PC?

Answers

You are talking about connecting more than one device so you need a router - a wireless bridge creates a wireless bridge between two points, without a router you will still only have one internet IP address so could only connect one device. You could do this with a bridge (connect the desktop to the modem) but your upgrade plan would be limited.

You would be better to open up your PC and install a network card, this is one of the easiest things to do with a PC and not that scary, a good introduction to the inside of a PC. Basically you open the case, undo one screw that removes one of those protective covers off the bit where the modem and other additional cards are, press the ethernet card in firmly and use the same screw to hold it in place put the case back together.

I use Linksys, the WRT54g router and whatever wireless bits you need / desire, others will recommend Belkin, Dlink and the rest so take your pick.

Does the laptop have a PCIMICA slot, your best bet for a laptop that old would be to get a PCIMICA wireless card rather than a USB one (and possibly see if extra RAM is a lot cheaper than you think).

Once you have the kit it is a matter of switching off the CM and plugging it into the router, switching it on waiting for the rdy light to come on and then switching the router on, it should self configure just fine (well it does with the Linksys).

loftus
03-05-2005, 11:22
First the answer.

My PC is not in a good location to be permanently wired to the CM and I could not have the CM installed close to the PC without VERY obtrusive wiring so it was always my intention to do it wirelessly.

My plan is to connect a wireless router to the CM. I was planning to usa a USB adaptor to connect the PC then came across the ethernet bridge, which appears to be used mainly for gaming consoles. I was wondering if I could plug the ethernet bridge into my existing ethernet connection rather than using the USB adaptor.

Will I be able to connect up the laptop with the existing memory?

Ta

SMHarman
03-05-2005, 12:06
My plan is to connect a wireless router to the CM. I was planning to usa a USB adaptor to connect the PC then came across the ethernet bridge, which appears to be used mainly for gaming consoles. I was wondering if I could plug the ethernet bridge into my existing ethernet connection rather than using the USB adaptor.That would work well, they are usually used for gaming consoles as you cannot crack a gaming console open and plug a wireless NIC into it, so it connects the ethernet socket on the console to a wireless ethernet. This is what you want to do so that would be all fine and dandy. Others here have said the linksys one works well. This also gives you room to move the aerial around to get a better signal, so would be a good idea all round.

Will I be able to connect up the laptop with the existing memory?

Ta
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/wpc54g_v2-ds-30922.pdf

Looks unlikely - this says 64Mb, I would imagine that a PCIMICA card will be less resource hungry than a wireless USB so if you did this your swap file would bin in use a lot.

loftus
03-05-2005, 15:46
Got it sorted.

Belkin kit, which after talking to their tech support, all seems to work - even on the creaky old laptop. Thanks for the help.