PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please - does size matter?

Raistlin
02-05-2005, 21:46
There, now that I have your attention..... ;)

I've been thinking about buying a sword (one of the nice decorative samurai ones).

I know that there are regulations (or, laws if you prefer) about knife sizes, and where you can and can't carry/use them. I also know that if you want to keep a gun at home you need to have a licence and it needs to be stored in a certain way.

Are there any similar laws regarding the ownership of swords? I appreciate that it's probably not legal to dance around in the street waving it around like a loony...... But are there any laws regarding storage/security at home? And.....getting to the formation of the subject question.....do these laws change as the swords get bigger? I have seen some that are about 20" long and others that are approaching 4 foot.

Anybody got any experience with sword ownership? Anybody care to recommend an online retailer? Anybody simply want to berate me for my choice of subject line ;) ?

Cheers all.

Hom3r
02-05-2005, 22:14
Last year on holiday (UK) a shop did sword, the type that appear in film (Conan) Samurai.

but I dont know if any licence was needed?

JohnHorb
02-05-2005, 22:17
Plenty of swords available for sale in the Leeds Armoury shop. and I didn't see any notices re. licencing.

Hom3r
02-05-2005, 22:26
froma sword forum

Actually you can take swords outside under certain circumstances, for instance if you are travelling from your house to a martial arts class, or if you have just bought the sword; an example being that I picked up a new katana today, and because I was thinking about getting one, I brought my case out with me, because its a lot easier to carry the sword in a back strapped case than in a box, or just wrapped in flower paper as mine was. It also looks more indescriminate, where as its out of the way, and you aren't walking around with a strange sword-shaped object. Little side point though, if you are buying a sword from a shop, go straight home afterwards, don't start waving it about on the street (obviously), and if at all possible, try and make sure that you always get a receipt, that way if you get stopped by some rozzers or whatever, you can say "Yup, this is my new sword, like it? By the way you can't touch me cause I just bought it, its in transit, and its in a sealed case"

bmxbandit
02-05-2005, 22:27
i think so long as it is not brandished about, it isn't a problem, several of my friends have them for reenactment.

Halcyon
02-05-2005, 22:29
The only place I've seen swords for sale are Forbideen Planet that sell games.
They cost well over £200 and were huge.

Hom3r
02-05-2005, 22:31
also form swrord forum

The only place I've seen swords for sale are Forbideen Planet that sell games.
They cost well over £200 and were huge.

Also Martin down Regent Road Great Yarmouth

Ramrod
02-05-2005, 22:33
I have 2 at home and (afaik) they are perfectly legal. I take them to Tai Chi in a cloth bag.........

Raistlin
02-05-2005, 23:02
Cheers for all the advice guys, much appreciated :tu:

Tezcatlipoca
03-05-2005, 01:26
Have a look here: http://www.blades-uk.com/

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 01:47
Have a look here: http://www.blades-uk.com/

Fantastic site! Thanks :tu:

Tezcatlipoca
04-05-2005, 00:43
No prob. I've been thinking about getting a sword for a while now, & someone else recommended that site to me.

So many though! Could have a "proper" one, but some of the movie replicas look good too (Highlander, LotR, Blade). Plus, of course, I'm still trying to find a way to justify to myself a reason to buy the new ForceFX lightsabers mentioned in another thread...