PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Equipment Help

Matthew
30-04-2005, 22:54
Right I currently have a wireless network setup at my house using a Belkin Wirless ADSL Modem Router. Now I am expanding my network to my friends house accross the road and we have tried it all and works but we need an access point, (yes I know my router has it but isnt strong enough). So my plan was to get an access point and put it up near the window and then go to his house. BUT I need some sort of device that is wireless put will plug into a network card to make things simple for all of us. I was told if I plugged the wiressless access point into his ethernet port he should be able to connect to me wirelessly but not sure on this one.

I was looking at getting a DLink access point from eBuyer and using that but I have now heard that if you get two and set it up so just the two communicate then it will all work so if I have one at my end connected to the router and one as his end would it work?

The prodcut in question is from eBuyer, quick find code: 42576. Can someone let me know as I want to order it this week so I can get it installed soon.

Thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
30-04-2005, 23:33
The theoretical transmission range and actual transmission ranges you can get with basic wireless kit can be vastly different. If your Belkin wireless router has a good line of sight (direct) to your neigbour's house, then any other wireless access point you try to add may well not communicate adequately. If the line of sight is poor, try relocating your router first, and see if there is an adequate signal opposite before buying anything else.

What it the minimum distance between your houses? Thick walls, even glass or other things in the way could degrade a signal enough that it isn't reliable or works too slowly.

Please remember that very few ISPs will be happy if your wireless networking is being set up so that two different households can share one connection.

Matthew
01-05-2005, 05:29
I moved my Belkin to the window sill the other day and it worked and a decent connection but cannot leave it there for various reasons and we will not be sharing internet.

gkhewitt
01-05-2005, 22:42
You could buy an access point that can function in repeater mode. Then it will simply act as a "booster" and you can put it in your window to reach your friends house - you don't need to plug it into an ethernet jack.

The eBuyer product you quoted does have repeater functionality but one of the comments notes that this will only work if you install the newest US firmware on it. Also note that this device uses the slower 11mbps standard (not the newer 54mbps) and the quoted 22mbps boost tends to only work with samebrand products (ie. your friend's wireless card would have to be d-link, with support for the 22mbps speed) although I haven't had a huge amount of experience with this.

Good luck

Matthew
01-05-2005, 23:11
What access point with repeater mode does anyone recommend then.