PDA

View Full Version : NTL cable 250 connect to netgear router

lestatsa
29-04-2005, 10:27
I have a NTL cable modem 250 which I want to connect to my wireless netgear WAG511 Router to share the internet connection accross my wireless network. Does anyone know the configuration for this.

Thanks,

SMHarman
29-04-2005, 10:52
:welcome:

There are a lot of posts on this sort of subject already, but basically switch off your PC and modem, plug modem into WAN socket of router, plug PC into port 1 of router (or use the Windoze wireless zero config utility), power up the modem, wait, power up the router, wait, power up the PC. Should all work.

Then secure the wireless network.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

EDIT - A WAG511 is a wireless PCMICA card - so I think you have the wrong product number.

lestatsa
29-04-2005, 11:19
The router is a WRG511 i believe, I thought I would need to configure the router - what setting do I need to put in the router, do I need to set ip, gateway, dns

SMHarman
29-04-2005, 11:32
For these things you need to read the step by step instructions with the router. The factory settings mean it should plug and play out of the box and if you have had a PC connected to your NTL CM that has been configured properly initially then that will negotiate a new IP address from the Router.

You will probably want to change the password to the router, the network name etc, but a CM is a lot easier to set up with a router than setting up a combined ADSL modem/router which needs UIDs and Passwords - not necessary for NTL.

IP / Gateway / DNS should be set to auto all will be happy.