PDA

View Full Version : No connection to websites

Crs
28-04-2005, 21:02
Hello all,

Here is a tricky one for someone:

My sister just moved house, she has an NTL cable modem installed which appears to be working fine. (the ready light stays on)

The computer would not access any websites, but it resolved IP addresses - e.g. I could type in using a dos box 'ping www.google.com' and get a reply.

I tried Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, any website would just sit there trying to open the page (the blue progress bar would slowly progress and eventually time out)

This was on Windows ME. I thought it must be a software issue so I tried various things until I decided to flatten it and completely reinstall Windows 2000

Clean install and the very same thing is happening!

I tried entering a proxy server, this works on my own computer, "manc-cache-14.server.ntli.net" on port 8080 and still no joy.

Using IPCONFIG shows there has been an IP address assigned (213.something)

There is no firewall / virus scanner installed no hardware firewall or router either.

The pc has an ethernet card installed and that uses a patch cable directly in to the modem.

I cant think of anything else I can try. She said she has tried technical support a few times who stated the connection on the modem is fine.

(Also, I have tried restarting the modem and computer many times)

heeelp? =O

Thanks for reading :)

maverick
28-04-2005, 21:16
Does the ip address end in 248-255 if so its a temp ip address,go to 80.5.178.26/cgi/housemove and register the cable modem at the new address.

Crs
28-04-2005, 21:52
Ahh,

The IP address is indeed ending with .253

Well that housemove page loads, I just called her, and then asked her to go through it.

Basically the 1st time she went through it and it said it was complete after a few pages. I asked her to power down the modem and computer and after 5 mins restarted.

Next boot up the IP has remained at x.x.x.253 and I asked her to try that housemove page again but this time she got some message with her name/details on it and couldn't proceed - (it was an NTL error message after the verification)

It does seem this is the problem, I had to ask her to call tech support and explain she moved house and the internet is not working.

Will have to wait and see what happens..

Thanks a lot Maverick for the quick responce and great suggestion!!

maverick
28-04-2005, 22:10
Try bringing up a command screen start>run>cmd TYPE THE FOLLOWING

ipconfig /release and enter then ipconfig /renew and enter,see if this then picks you up a new ip.

Alternatively Tech support is open untill midnight on 08456500121 give them a call, if the housemove website is not working the modem can be added manually to the account.

Crs
28-04-2005, 22:22
Success!

She called the tech support and the guy noticed the temp address right away (shame the ones in the past didnt :(

He sent a new address and after a reset everything is up and running perfectly.

Thank you VERY much for your time and expert support :)

Have a great day and bankholiday weekend!!

Hopefully the sun will be out ;)

maverick
28-04-2005, 22:28
Glad to hear its up and running,I shall be drunk most of Monday so dont care if it rains lol. :D

gordon.k
08-06-2005, 15:19
Does the ip address end in 248-255 if so its a temp ip address,go to 80.5.178.26/cgi/housemove and register the cable modem at the new address.

simbr
08-06-2005, 22:34
That's what he said alright.

maverick
08-06-2005, 23:23
Yes I will second that

That is what I said LOL