PDA

View Full Version : London Eye

Raistlin
27-04-2005, 17:13
Off to London in a few weeks for a course, want to try and get on the London Eye while I'm down there.

Anybody had a go on this?

Is it worth the money?

How big are the cabins? I know that the info says that you can get 25 people in there but is that cramped or what?

Nemesis
27-04-2005, 17:15
Off to London in a few weeks for a course, want to try and get on the London Eye while I'm down there.

:tu:

Yep, it's cool

Is it worth the money?
Yep

How big are the cabins? I know that the info says that you can get 25 people in there but is that cramped or what?
No, they are MASSIVE

Raistlin
27-04-2005, 17:17
Cheers Nem :)

Mr_love_monkey
27-04-2005, 17:19
If possible you should try and time it so that the sun sets whilst you are up there, then you get to see london in the day, and at night.

Chimaera
27-04-2005, 17:23
It's really good! And I'm not really that good with heights, but managed the trip ok. Try and go during the day and avoid weekends and school holidays if possible - when Paul and I went we just turned up and booked our tickets, by the time we walked outside it was time for us to get on!
Oh and buy one of the guide cards as well - I think it cost about £3 but it gives you details of all the London landmarks - some of which are quite indistinguishable at that height.
You can book your tickets in advance on this (http://www.londoneye.com/) site if you want it done in advance.
Enjoy!

Raistlin
27-04-2005, 17:23
Cool..........

Any ideas how I find out what time the sun will be setting (I know that's not as daft a question as it sounds)

Stuart
27-04-2005, 17:24

Yep. It's cool
[/quote]
Is it worth the money?[/quote]
Yep. Although I did see the campus where I work from it, and that (in equal measures) impressed me and p*s*ed me off..

The cabins are huge (and air conditioned). Even with 25 people in, you still get a reasonable amount of space. The only slightly hairy part is getting on and off as it never stops spinning, although it only does one revolution every 45 minutes, so is very slow.

Chimaera
27-04-2005, 17:29
Sunset and sunrise times can be found here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1769) , the BBC Weather site.
I've been on the London Eye during the day, but I've been told by several people that you also have to go again at night and see everything lit up! Hopefully that will be this summer.
Forum meet, anyone? ;)

Raistlin
27-04-2005, 17:30
Thanks Chim' :tu:

nffc
27-04-2005, 17:35
Went on about 5 years ago now. It's not too bad, on a clear day you can see a long way.

You could probably fit 25 people in, but really to be able to see enough you need to be able to walk around the cabins, so really anything more than 17-18 will kinda hinder this unless you get some miseries that just wanna sit on the bench thing in the middle all the way round and spend money to see f-all.

On a nice day, it's definitely worth it though.

[still don't go darn saarf innit very often though]

Chimaera
27-04-2005, 17:39
We must have been lucky - we went on a Thursday evening in June - 6.35pm I think - and we only had 5 tourists in there with us. We ended up taking photos of them all (with their cameras!) and the photo of us on the forum gallery is the one they took of us. And as scastle says - be careful as you get in and out - it's a bit strange trying to get out while the carriage is still moving! :Yikes:

SMHarman
27-04-2005, 18:22
I went round it last week on a Thursday morning at 9:30 am - it was pretty empty - there were 8 in our cabin and 6 were the group I was with. I would book tickets on line - it costs less and means no queue, just put your card in a machine and it spits your tickets out.

Worth the money - yes - take a look at the 6 cables that hold it up also - weird.

altis
27-04-2005, 18:36
Yep, definately worth it, I'd say. Just try to get a day with good weather!

fireman328
27-04-2005, 19:21
It's very good, my granddaughter loved it. We got there about 10.30 a.m. and had to wait about 20 mins. Our capsule wasn't full, plenty of room to move about and take pics from all directions. My daughter said I should have apologised to all the others in the capsule when we got out, as i was stationed at Lambeth FS for 3 years and apparently I kept up a non stop commentary to my granddaughter on all the buildings you could see.
If you were one of those people, I am very very sorry. :bigcry:

Halcyon
28-04-2005, 00:50
Some friends of mine went up it last month and said it was briliant and although at first they didnt think it would be fun, they came out loving it and saying how glad they went on it in the end.

skyblueheroes
28-04-2005, 06:52
Its superb.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn behind the eye and its seemed quieter after 6pm ish. During the day it was busy due to all the day trippers.

I would book in advance a time slot and buy a guide. We booked in advance for about 10:30am on a Sat and we only hung around for about 15 mins in a queue. It moves quickly.

Nugget
28-04-2005, 08:58
It's brilliant. Me and Mrs Nug were in London in the middle of March so, when we'd got ourselves sorted at the hotel, we went for a mooch on the South Bank. The queues at 4 o'clock were absolutely huge, so we booked tickets for the next day.

Got there again at just before 10 in the morning and walked straight on - there were only 6 people (including us) in the capsule so there was oodles of space. The views were absolutely fantastic and, at £12.50 each, well worth the money. We were on for about 35 minutes, and it was a great start to the day.

Highly recommended :tu:

cookie_365
28-04-2005, 19:35
Try to go up at night - with a local to explain what everything is to you - it's superb :)

Halcyon
28-04-2005, 23:26
I definately would love to see it at night. Will have to plan another trip down to London some time soon I think.