PDA

View Full Version : Power-mad woman boss

Russ
27-04-2005, 14:53
During the day I work part-time at a charity organisation just to keep myself busy.

The job is ok but the problem is we have a 'dynamic' female boss. The general opinion in the place is that she is power mad and enjoys occasional displays of her 'power', for example is anyone comes in for a meeting, she always keeps them waiting. It is said she was overheard on one occasion saying "I'm going to make sure that from the start of this meeting that I'm in charge" when she was 10 minutes late walking in.

It's not really bothered me as I get my tasks from another source and I never really come in to contact with her that much until this morning.

Without realising it, I parked in 'her' car space this morning. It's not listed as being for directors only, it just has the company logo on it. She stormed in to the office and with as much reserve as her anger would allow her, demanded "Who owns the green Rover? Can whoever owns it please move it IMMEDIATELY" and all the while, parked her car accross the entrance to the carpark.

As I came out to move it, I had the dirtiest look ever from her (and not in a sexual way either :( ) and seem to keep having them all day so far.

That incident in itself doesn't bother me, but does anyone have any tips on how to manage a boss who enjoys displays of 'power'?

Neil
27-04-2005, 15:03
Don't take the bait.

Just carry on as if nothing she has said bothers you would be my advice.

She clearly wants to see you/people squirm when she says/does things like this, so if you don't 'display' a reaction then she has failed. :)

Russ
27-04-2005, 15:07
Makes sense, although I think doing that might make her try even harder to show how 'powerful' she is.....

Graham M
27-04-2005, 15:13
Try knocking her down a peg by showing her up? :)

Nemesis
27-04-2005, 15:13
Let her ...... As long as you continue with the "i'm not bothered" approach what is she trying to prove and to whom ?

Mr_love_monkey
27-04-2005, 15:14
You could try defecating on the bonnet of her car...

Just a thought :)

ScaredWebWarrior
27-04-2005, 15:14
That incident in itself doesn't bother me, but does anyone have any tips on how to manage a boss who enjoys displays of 'power'?

I don't think the problem is only with a power-mad woman boss - but I reckon that anyone who has to throw their weight about to show how 'superior' they are is usually not comfortable in their lofty role, as they're actually terribly insecure - more often than not because they can't really hack it.

So, probably you should feel terribly sorry for her.

As to the car-parking incident, I wouldn't have hesitated to point out to her that there was no need for her to be so rude about it, and that a polite request would have been much appreciated.

Next time she is late for a meeting, everyone should assume it's cancelled/delayed and leave. It is up to a manager to be very much on time - otherwise how can you pull someone else up on their time keeping?

She may think her high-flying, self-important manner will make her look effective, but anyone with the tiniest appreciation of good management skills will see straight through her.

Halcyon
27-04-2005, 15:16
People like that are just craving attention. Dont give her anything and ignore her.

Nemesis
27-04-2005, 15:18
On the car Park stunt ..... Ask her to explain how people ae supposed to *know* that it's her space.

On the Meeting stunt ... If she is late, go and ask if she is going to attend as you have other things you could be getting on with.

Chris
27-04-2005, 15:20

I have some ideas that my reputation forbids me from sharing. :D

Russ
27-04-2005, 15:20
I don't think the problem is only with a power-mad woman boss - but I reckon that anyone who has to throw their weight about to show how 'superior' they are is usually not comfortable in their lofty role, as they're actually terribly insecure - more often than not because they can't really hack it.

The reason I've specifically stated her being female is because I get the impression she is being like this to show she can be as tough as any man in her position. I understand the need for some women to be like this due to the sexist nature of some jobs but I've never encountered it myself before.

Stuart
27-04-2005, 15:32
Let her ...... As long as you continue with the "i'm not bothered" approach what is she trying to prove and to whom ?

I would agree. For the time being. Reminds me a bit of something that happened to me at work (and ultimately persuaded me to go to Uni).

On the face of it, we got on OK (not particularly well, but not badly either). However, one day, I was in the Photocopying room doing some copying. She walked in and slapped me. To this day, I am still not sure why. I think it was because the machine was taking too long copying. It did backfire on her though. I was friends with one of our directors (V. nice blonde American woman). This director just happened to be standing behind her. The director told my boss off, and even offered to testify if I wished to sue. My boss got a call from our Chief Executive that afternoon, and she was politely asked to leave (or so the rumour goes - she never came back to the office).

Chris
27-04-2005, 15:34
I would agree. For the time being. Reminds me a bit of something that happened to me at work (and ultimately persuaded me to go to Uni).

On the face of it, we got on OK (not particularly well, but not badly either). However, one day, I was in the Photocopying room doing some copying. She walked in and slapped me. To this day, I am still not sure why. I think it was because the machine was taking too long copying. It did backfire on her though. I was friends with one of our directors (V. nice blonde American woman). This director just happened to be standing behind her. The director told my boss off, and even offered to testify if I wished to sue. My boss got a call from our Chief Executive that afternoon, and she was politely asked to leave (or so the rumour goes - she never came back to the office).

Slapped you? What, around the chops? :shocked:

Russ
27-04-2005, 15:34
I have some ideas that my reputation forbids me from sharing. :D

Go on.......unlease the fury! :D

Nemesis
27-04-2005, 15:35

No Chris, she bent him over her knee and proceeded to spank him senseless in the photocopying room ...... DOH!!!

ScaredWebWarrior
27-04-2005, 15:35
The reason I've specifically stated her being female is because I get the impression she is being like this to show she can be as tough as any man in her position.

What a terrible way to try show how 'equal' she is, because it really proves nothing.

I understand the need for some women to be like this due to the sexist nature of some jobs but I've never encountered it myself before.

Even in the most male-dominated professions there is no need for a woman (or a man!) to behave so badly to try prove her/his worth.

A really powerful woman is a scary thing - they don't need to bellow and make themselves look big - they just have you cowering without trying hard at all.

Chris
27-04-2005, 15:36
Go on.......unlease the fury! :D
Fury? I was going to suggest you ask her when was the last time she got laid. :D But that would be unacceptably smutty and not a little sexist. :erm:

Russ
27-04-2005, 15:38
Fury? I was going to suggest you ask her when was the last time she got laid.

And perhaps I should I ask if it was with a man or a woman :disturbd:

Stuart
27-04-2005, 15:39

Actually round the back of the head. Seriously. I know I should have sued, but I had half made up my mind to leave the job anyway, and that clinched it. I didn't want any more to do with the company (or her).

I agree with Russ. Some bosses (not exclusively women, but the only boss I have been hit by is a woman) do seem to feel the need to throw their weight around (my old boss here did it initially, but he soon learnt that I got the job done if left to my own devices). Sometimes they just need time to settle in.

Chris
27-04-2005, 15:40
And perhaps I should I ask if it was with a man or a woman :disturbd:

So firstly this thread distinguishes that it's a woman boss, then suggests her fury may be because she's sexually frustrated, then implies she might be a lesbian anyway.

We're well on the road to Red Repsville here, boyo. :erm: :D

SOSAGES
27-04-2005, 16:43
personally i like working for power mad people - its trying all day to make there life harder within the rules of the workplace that keep me going ..

and i wouldnt of moved the car if there isnt a reason to then dont give in u wasnt hurting anyone - yeah she will get ya back but thats how you play it :) try and have fun with it i have done in the past

Ramrod
27-04-2005, 16:54
If you don't want a pay rise :D

Nugget
27-04-2005, 16:56
If you don't want a pay rise :D

And you're a big fan of the local JobCentre :D

SMHarman
27-04-2005, 16:59
And you're a big fan of the local JobCentre :Dand your employeer wants to see the inside of an industrial tribunal.

No Chris, she bent him over her knee and proceeded to spank him senseless in the photocopying room ...... DOH!!!People pay good money for that (so I hear).

Monster Jedi
27-04-2005, 17:26
Russ when can I give your Boss a good stiff talking to. :D :tu:

Russ
27-04-2005, 17:30
When I leave I'll post the name of the company here - her picture and contact email address can be found on the website :D

Monster Jedi
27-04-2005, 17:32
When I leave I'll post the name of the company here - her picture and contact email address can be found on the website :D

Post em now :)

Russ
27-04-2005, 17:38
I may not be reliant on this job but the extra cash comes in handy :D

So no, you'll need to wait a while ;)

aliferste
27-04-2005, 17:47
To me it sounds like she is a bad boss no matter what sex she is.

Keeping people hanging around waiting, I mean that is just plain rude.....if she keep someone waiting longer than a few minutues and then does not apologise then its just rude........if she consistantly does it then i would say she was incompetant.

As for the car space thing :rolleyes:

I think what you have got to think about is:

1 How much does the job mean to you?
2 Do you want to make waves somewhere that you might stay?
3 Does she fancy bald men? ;)

Most organisations have a bullying policy .......and come to think of it a whistleblowing policy as well............if she is singling you out then I would take it all the way..........if however you were just caught in the cross fire I would just get on with my job and let it slip on by. She obviously wants some kind of reaction.

Russ
27-04-2005, 17:50
The job is just a time-filler: I work in the evening and this just keeps me busy in the day for a few days a week. The cash comes in handy but isn't essential. She's not singling me out - she's like this with anyone, it's just today I happened to park in the wrong place. Perhaps tomorrow I'll bring my dad's car in and par it there and deny all knowledge of it :D

nffc
27-04-2005, 18:36
How's she gonna know you post on here anyway.

Escapee
27-04-2005, 19:46
During the day I work part-time at a charity organisation just to keep myself busy.

The job is ok but the problem is we have a 'dynamic' female boss. The general opinion in the place is that she is power mad and enjoys occasional displays of her 'power', for example is anyone comes in for a meeting, she always keeps them waiting. It is said she was overheard on one occasion saying "I'm going to make sure that from the start of this meeting that I'm in charge" when she was 10 minutes late walking in.

It's not really bothered me as I get my tasks from another source and I never really come in to contact with her that much until this morning.

Without realising it, I parked in 'her' car space this morning. It's not listed as being for directors only, it just has the company logo on it. She stormed in to the office and with as much reserve as her anger would allow her, demanded "Who owns the green Rover? Can whoever owns it please move it IMMEDIATELY" and all the while, parked her car accross the entrance to the carpark.

As I came out to move it, I had the dirtiest look ever from her (and not in a sexual way either :( ) and seem to keep having them all day so far.

Sounds like Pauline mu**ings who used to work for ntl! ;)

I always put it down to a way of hiding her incompetence, I think women are worse than men in that respect. I have only had the misfortune of having one woman boss in a technical management role, and it wasn't a pleasant experince at all. She would either nag on about the least important issue cos she didn't understand what her role was about, or would burst into tears if you argued with her at the wrong time of the month.

We had another one in another department who said she was going to rule with an iron rod, and sort it all out. She went off long term sick with stress because everyone in that department decided to be awkward and wprk exactly to her rules.

I remember going into a meeting with Pauline mu**ings about a technical issue with cable modems and the HFC network, she said "We will not have any technical talk in here" that was the que for meeting closed!

Russ
27-04-2005, 19:58

Some "public spirited" individual will take it upon themselves to drop her an email....

Stuart
27-04-2005, 20:18

Some "public spirited" individual will take it upon themselves to drop her an email....

They'd need her email addy first...

nffc
27-04-2005, 20:19

No doubt, cor there are some back-stabbing Clive Hunts aren't they?

Russ
27-04-2005, 20:33
They'd need her email addy first...

It's on the website under her picture!

Maggy
27-04-2005, 20:50
Swings and roundabouts.I've had awful people in charge of me both male and female,young and old.Being a bad boss is not confined to any particular group of people.Some people just aren't people, people. :shrug:

However the next time the Ex-Charge Chief I'm married to, tells me how to drive I'm going to smack him into the next week. ;)

greencreeper
28-04-2005, 00:51
I think men create the problem by making life hard for women. The result is that women always fight their corner even when it's not necessary, and see every action as a threat or challenge. My boss thinks I argue with her, and sometimes I do, but I'm never challenging her authority. I don't see the same link between questioning and being disrespectful. There are times when I clearly aren't arguing and she still goes off on one - yelling at me and banging the desk. I've considered coming out to her, in the hopes it would diffuse things. The greatest problem is that, when she raises the fact that I argue with her, it's done so in front of her boss (male) so I can't say the things I've said above without embarrassing her.

carlingman
28-04-2005, 00:56
Borrow a brand new Porsche or Ferrari for the day nad park it in her space and see if her reaction changes :D

Millay
28-04-2005, 03:30
I had a boss like this when I worked as aforcourt attendant for a garage, she used to acuse me of fidling the tills when i did things like refunding 67p for a light bulb etc...

The best fun you can have, is be really nice, polite and but add in comments that she just cant say anything about, everyone else will pick up on what your playing at..

Heres an example.. head office demead her shop needed a re-fit.. she was loaved to do this, but she never said anything, I came in one mornign, she said to good morning in her terse tone, I was all cheerfull and commented on how good the new design was looking and that the old one looked tired, all she could do was storm out the shop... I had so many fun and games with her.. its like sport..

if she is ten minutes late for a meeting emphasise with her, and how hard it must be for her with all this work on her sholders, then tell her you only have 5 minutes left because you have to go and do something else of the utmost importance... etc

Parking in her space, tell her, how sorry you are and that they should really put a sign up because if there was one there it was to smal lto read (its all in the airy tone of the voice) then on your way out to move the car, whp the vavle out and go back in telling her its oging to take 30 minutes to move the car because you need to change the wheel...

If there life is so hectic and important just add to there burdon in a way they cant do anything about it..

Gareth
28-04-2005, 03:42
I think men create the problem by making life hard for women. The result is that women always fight their corner even when it's not necessary, and see every action as a threat or challenge. <snip>Yeah, kinda like the whole Glass Ceiling theory... except for a lot of female bosses, there's no glass ceiling - it's just that they're crap at their jobs :D

Saying that, however, I have known some female bosses (never mine, unfortunately) whom I would like it if they were standing on top of the glass ceiling and I was underneath them ...er, in the managerial hierarchical sense, of course :p:

Paul
28-04-2005, 03:49
Just put a couple of old shopping trollies in "her" space.

dilli-theclaw
28-04-2005, 09:03
We had a power mad woman boss where I used to work. She only lasted about 1 year before she was fired because she managed to alienate just about everybody.

I only locked horns with her once when she ordered me to stop what I was doing and go help tidy the factory floor (in anticipation of a visit).

This while I was busy getting out the new expensive cleaning machine that the factory had just bought.

I did try to tell her what I was doing - but she KNEW better.

Maybe she was just on a power trip or just insecure.

It's a shame really 'cos she was quite nice when you met her out of work.