PDA

View Full Version : Belkin wireless stuff: Any good?

McGraw
26-04-2005, 08:47
I'm de-wiring my Dad's ADSL/Laptop/Desktop rig.

We were looking at the 54g Belkin Wireless stuff.

It can be bought online for £100 inc vat. This is the router/modem, a PCI and a PCMCIA card.

What does anyone think?

Cheers.

Bifta
26-04-2005, 08:53
I've used exactly the same kit as you're buying for the last 12 months or so with no problems at all, I was getting full signal strength in my previous house 2 floors up through doors and walls so I can't really fault it.

andyl
26-04-2005, 09:01
I've got Belkin cards with a Buffalo Air Station - no probs.

gkhewitt
26-04-2005, 09:21
I've used belkin cards for ages with no problems whatsoever, great support under XP.

I've also used a Belkin 802.11b access point with no trouble before either.

McGraw
26-04-2005, 09:41
Cheers gents.

zoombini
26-04-2005, 11:07
Bear in mind...

That the logging on them is naff, you cannot see your signal strengths as you can on some other routers.

Also if you have a 2.4ghz wireless phone it can interfere with if too close.

I have the latest Belkin ADSL wireless router & a bridge (we call it "the Alien"). Have had to reboot the router a few times, wireless is slower than wired, no signal strength problems.

There does seem to be a few differences in what features work in both units, the router has an anhanced G thingy option yet the bridge does not?

The router gets hot (but most do) & the cat likes to sit on it.

There are no utilities to access your router logs to save them etc.

Although there does appear to be an alternative firmware that has been written for Belkin routers.

I have lots of problems using P2p through mine.

altis
26-04-2005, 11:21
I've been very impressed with Edimax kit. Well built, easy to use and at a good price. Scan sometimes have bundles in their daily offers.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=30&FilterManufacturers=257

Simcut
26-04-2005, 13:03
I've got Belkin WIRED and I love it, Belkin are very very good, I would avoid US Robotics like the plague, I had a nightmare with their wireless products that I bought..... :)

Chris
26-04-2005, 14:16
I set up mother-in-law for wireless with Belkin kit the other week. No complaints at all.

zoombini
26-04-2005, 14:22
Not even from her? Like, it doesn't match the curtains etc :D

Chris
26-04-2005, 14:29
Not even from her? Like, it doesn't match the curtains etc :D

We had a dicey few seconds when we found the patch cable was bright yellow, but she warmed to the whole thing when I told her she wouldn't need to use the cable under normal circumstances. :D

Mainly I earned many son-in-law brownie points because she didn't know how to set it up herself and she didn't fancy calling Belkin's customer hotline. And now she can sit anywhere in the house while browsing her Cliff Richard forums. She is very happy.

Matthew
26-04-2005, 21:55
I have had no problems with my Belkin stuff.

dilli-theclaw
26-04-2005, 21:59
I had(Well still have) an ADSL belkin wireless router/modem.

Never had a problem with it really.

I had to put it in my spare parts drawer when I went back to ntl or I'd still be using it.