PDA

View Full Version : Linksys router - minor problem

bertJ
25-04-2005, 17:48
Since installing a Linksys Wireless router (WRT54G) with my ntl cable modem I get the following:
After I boot up and connect to the internet (winxp SP2) and then try to access the web, I get an error message that tells me that †˜no connection to the internet is currently availableââ‚ ¬â„¢ and asks me if I would like to †˜work offlineââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ or †˜try againââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ to attempt to connect. I click on †˜try againââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ and it uses the connection, no problem. It then works perfectly but if I don't access the web for a few minutes I get the same message. If I click on 'try again' it works OK again.
I set up the router using Automatic Configuration †“ DHCP; under which there is no †˜Keep Aliveââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ option. The option to keep the connection alive only appears under PPPoE and PPTP.
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d be very grateful for any advice.

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 18:33
Have you got Windows set to obtain an IP address automatically?

Are you connecting wirelessly or have you got your PC wired to the router?

Have you tried the following:

Turn everything off.
Wait a couple of minutes.
Turn modem on, wait for lights to settle.
Turn router on, wait for lights to settle.
Turn PC on.

Do you have a firewall running at all?

Also, what browser are you using?

Have you told it to always use your default connection?

monkey2468
25-04-2005, 18:40
Since installing a Linksys Wireless router (WRT54G) with my ntl cable modem I get the following:
After I boot up and connect to the internet (winxp SP2) and then try to access the web, I get an error message that tells me that †˜no connection to the internet is currently availableââ‚ ¬â„¢ and asks me if I would like to †˜work offlineââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ or †˜try againââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ to attempt to connect. I click on †˜try againââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ and it uses the connection, no problem. It then works perfectly but if I don't access the web for a few minutes I get the same message. If I click on 'try again' it works OK again.
I set up the router using Automatic Configuration †“ DHCP; under which there is no †˜Keep Aliveââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ option. The option to keep the connection alive only appears under PPPoE and PPTP.
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d be very grateful for any advice.

I have the identical issue with my linksys router. Its like my pc has lost its ip for a second or two. Click retry, works perfectly until the next period of inactivity. Its always been like this for me, but doesn't anoy me enough to do anything about it.......

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 18:42
monkey, same questions apply to you then :)

I've got the same router and never experienced any of the problems you are describing. I would suggest that it is likely to be a setup/configuration problem - if that's the case then it should be possible to resolve it.

Hans Gruber
25-04-2005, 18:44
I've had the same router for getting on for 2 years now and never experienced that problem. Have you tried updating the firmware?

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 18:48
I've had the same router for getting on for 2 years now and never experienced that problem. Have you tried updating the firmware?

If they're fairly new routers then they should have shipped with the most recent firmware, which was why that hadn't even occured to me.

Good idea though, and certainly worth checking that you do have the most recent version of the firmware. :tu:

monkey2468
25-04-2005, 19:10
The router is about 4 months old. All setup and configs are correct. If I plug modem direct to my PC (router and modem next to my pc) it work perfectly, its just when it goes through the router, with or without the other pc switched on.
Its just like someone has clicked the 'work offline' button when i had my back turned......
I blame XP SP2....
Like I said, it doesn't realy bother me, but someone else with the same router with the same problem seems a bit odd!

edit: Just as an extra bit of info, when I click reconnect, there is no delay what-so-ever to the page being displayed.

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:12
I blame XP SP2....

It's seriously unlikely that XP SP2 has anything to do with it.

I have SP2 installed and have no problems at all with the router.

bertJ
25-04-2005, 19:15
Thanks for comments - my replies are exactly the same as 'Monkey'. I agree that it's no big deal, just slightly irritating.

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:29
Fair enough, if you're not bothered enough to worry about it.....

You didn't say if you had a firewall running though.....

bertJ
25-04-2005, 19:33
Raistlin
Sorry - I use winxp SP2's own firewall and IE6. I might give Zone Alarm a try and see whether the 'problem' persists.

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:41
Ok, you may find that the firewall is blocking any attempts that NTL are making to see if you are still on the network.

This is unlikely though as your router will be responding to those attempts.

More likely is that your firewall is blocking legitimate traffic to/from your router.

Try disabling the firewall (mostly safe with a router attached) and see if the problem persists.

monkey2468
25-04-2005, 19:52
If it was the firewall blocking attempts, then just clicking the IE6 'retry' button wouldn't work though would it?

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:54
Your firewall may be blocking the return traffic from your router/modem.

When you click "retry" you are effectively saying "here I am" and telling the connection to be active again.

It's got to be worth a try. 9 times out of 10 problems like this will tunr out to be something in the way that you have things configured. If you're not too bothered about it then don't worry and just leave everything alone.

monkey2468
25-04-2005, 19:58
Ill have a go with the firewall, cheers

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:58
Np.

jonifen
25-04-2005, 20:28
Used to get this problem myself. Disabling DHCP and using a static IP didn't fix it. I carried on regardless and used to put up with it. My partner's PC (also XP) did the same thing.
I got fed up with my PC error-ing on silly things, so reinstalled it afresh. Never had the issue since, so I reinstalled my partner's PC too... again, never had the issue since (now I've said this, bet the problem returns on next reboot... bah!)

Bit of an extreme fix perhaps, but it did resolve the issue for me - We were using a BEFSR41 at the time...

Chris W
25-04-2005, 20:38
which firmware do you have on the router? I had the same problem with it, and found a firmware that fixed it (can't remember which one it was but i'll check when i'm home...)

Also are you hammering the router with a large number of simultaneous connections? I found this router has a tendency to panic and fall over if you do.

hairy_mick
25-04-2005, 22:49
i have a similar problem i have a actiontec wireless 11g router has been working perfect for months its connected to a hub which feeds hard wired points the main pc being connected to one of these i could connect my laptop and ipaq wifi no problem. Yesterday lost all internet access checked my ip and it was **.***.**.253 only a temp address as if not reqed rang tec support and they got me back on but thats only when direct connection to modem will not work on actiontec or netgear cable/dsl router the action tec internet light remains red whats going on.

bertJ
26-04-2005, 18:05
I've now disabled the winxp firewall and set up Zone Alarm. I've had no more problems since!

Raistlin
26-04-2005, 18:11
Glad you got it sorted.

Watch ZA though, it can play silly buggers with your setup (especially with a router).

If you start getting problems post back and let us know, sometimes ZA needs more than the standard tweaking. For the moment though, if it aint broke.....

:)