PDA

View Full Version : Why do you dribble in your sleep?

Chris W
25-04-2005, 17:48
Hi all...

as the title says... does anyone know why people dribble in their sleep? I know what causes snoring, sleep walking and sleep talking but not dribbling!

Can anyone give me a medical explanation!

ta :)

MB

Mal
25-04-2005, 17:59
You're not awake to suck it back into your mouth? :)

greencreeper
25-04-2005, 18:40
Exactly what sort of dribbling are we talking about? Just to be clear :D

Roy MM
25-04-2005, 18:49
http://www.granitemedical.com/educate/ask_doc/082900.htm

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 19:02
You're not awake to suck it back into your mouth? :)Clear and consise :D

paulyoung666
25-04-2005, 19:04
Exactly what sort of dribbling are we talking about? Just to be clear :D

i wonder :rolleyes: , :rofl: :rofl:

bmxbandit
25-04-2005, 19:08
having lip piercings doesn't help...

paulyoung666
25-04-2005, 19:09

is that from experience then :erm: :D :D :D

Raistlin
25-04-2005, 19:09

Like gc said, exactly what sort of dribbling are we talking about here ;)

Escapee
25-04-2005, 19:13
Hi all...

as the title says... does anyone know why people dribble in their sleep? I know what causes snoring, sleep walking and sleep talking but not dribbling!

MB

Not sure, but my ex-GF always used to complain about me falling asleep on her and dribbling after sex. :D

Chimaera
25-04-2005, 19:18
Hi all...

MB
I'm more intrigued to find out why you would want to know! :rofl:

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 19:19
I get quite a few patients dribbling on my treatment table :shrug: :D

Chimaera
25-04-2005, 19:39
Now I'm not even going to ask what you do to your patients to induce such a reaction!!!!!! :D

kronas
25-04-2005, 19:40

yes but from which end are they exactly dribbling from ? :erm: :D :p:

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 19:56
Youl'd be surprised at how easy it is to dribble without knowing it when lying prone :D

homealone
25-04-2005, 20:02
Youl'd be surprised at how easy it is to dribble without knowing it when lying prone :D

but you are not so prone, while supine :D

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 20:04
but you are not so prone, while supine :DSupine is on your back, prone is on your front :D

homealone
25-04-2005, 20:09
Supine is on your back, prone is on your front :D

prone also means subsceptible, and you are not so subsceptible to dribbling while lying on your back :D

Maggy
25-04-2005, 20:15
Possible responses.

Mind your own business.

Why do you need to know?

Get a life.

Does it matter?

Never thought about it.

Yes I dribble.

No I don't dribble

However I'll go with ..How the hell would I know?

:D

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 20:24
However I'll go with ..How the hell would I know?

:D'cos the pillows wet when you wake up? :D

prone also means subsceptible, and you are not so subsceptible to dribbling while lying on your back :DI get it..........very droll :D

Maggy
25-04-2005, 20:28
'cos the pillows wet when you wake up? :D

Read the question Rammy.

The question is WHY do you dribble in your sleep not HOW do you know you dribble in your sleep... :p:

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 20:29
Read the question Rammy.

The question is WHY do you dribble in your sleep not HOW do you know you dribble in your sleep... :p:Sorry, it's the way you said it :p:

Chimaera
25-04-2005, 20:47
Well whatever it is you do to your patients to make them dribble Rammy...........
Can I have a go?? :naughty: :D

bmxbandit
25-04-2005, 21:06
is that from experience then :erm: :D :D :D
t'missus has two lip rings, so dribbles a lot. kinda cute ;)

Chris W
25-04-2005, 21:28
for all of those with dirty minds i was referring to dribbling from the mouth! (i am quite aware of why some people dribble from other orrifices ;) )

In answer to those who wanted to know why i ask.... i was having a discussion with two of my housemates today about our sleeping habits- in a house of 7, 3 people snore regularly, 2 people snore occasionally, 1 sleep walks and 4 dribble.

Personally i only snore occasionally but we were wondering what causing the dribbling... the article from RoyMM goes some way to provide an explanation, however does not explain why people dribble in their sleep as opposed to all of the time.... maybe Mal was spot on with the explanation that you aren't awake to swallow it down again :shrug:

ho hum... i shall keep wondering!

greencreeper
26-04-2005, 00:20
for all of those with dirty minds i was referring to dribbling from the mouth! (i am quite aware of why some people dribble from other orrifices ;) )
That's a relief :D

In answer to those who wanted to know why i ask.... i was having a discussion with two of my housemates today about our sleeping habits- in a house of 7, 3 people snore regularly, 2 people snore occasionally, 1 sleep walks and 4 dribble.
You have some strange discussions!

Personally i only snore occasionally but we were wondering what causing the dribbling... the article from RoyMM goes some way to provide an explanation, however does not explain why people dribble in their sleep as opposed to all of the time.... maybe Mal was spot on with the explanation that you aren't awake to swallow it down again :shrug:

ho hum... i shall keep wondering!
Mal may be right :erm: I think that swallowing isn't something that is autonomous (unlike salivating). If you didn't dribble, you'd breathe the salivia and drown. This is why drunks usually die from inhaling vomit - the body can't (because of the booze) regulate its position to maintain an airway, so the drunk ends up on his/her back and breathes kabab and Carlsberg.

I may be totally wrong though :D

Maggy
26-04-2005, 07:20
Must be a riveting subject 'cos I'm still subscribed..but not for long.... :D

Ramrod
26-04-2005, 08:21
The significance of saliva during sleep and the relevance of oromotor movements (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12531122&dopt=Abstract)

Saliva is an essential component of the oroesophageal milieu and allows for normal speech, taste, mastication, food bolus formation and swallowing. Saliva has important functions in protecting the hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity from acids and pathogenic microbes. A large number of people suffer either subjective or objective alterations in quantity and/or quality of their saliva that may be secondary to disease, medications, medical treatments or emotional events. Sleep-related xerostomia is a sensation of dry mouth associated with a report of either mouth and/or throat discomfort that induces awakenings for water intake. The prevalence of self-reported dry mouth complaint during sleep (associated with awakening and water intake) in a Canadian survey was estimated at 23%. The biological significance of decreased saliva during sleep is unknown and it is unclear how the oral cavity compensates for this period of relative dryness. The amount of saliva produced is greatest during the waking hours of the day and diminishes dramatically during sleep and may represent another process in the human body that displays a circadian rhythmicity. Salivary secretion during wakefulness is, in part, associated with oromotor activity involving the masticatory muscles. Rhythmic masticatory muscle activity and swallowing are non-disruptive events that occur during normal sleep. We hypothesize herein that lubrication from saliva is necessary during sleep to protect tissue integrity and health of oroesophageal structures.

In other words, we continue to produce saliva during sleep-possibly as a protective mechanism-and (as Mal) said, we probably just swallow it less.

daxx
26-04-2005, 13:46
and everybody's forgotten

you may be dreaming of a favorite meal

greencreeper
26-04-2005, 18:25
you may be dreaming of a favorite meal
Or a favourite woman...

Theodoric
29-04-2005, 18:40
Hi all...

MB
Because your first name is Homer? :)