PDA

View Full Version : If you could invent something?

zoombini
25-04-2005, 14:03
What would it be?

What useful gadget or whatever would you invent?
Perhaps the best one can be passed onto Mr Bailey.

For me it would be a "Ronco Wallpaperstripporator" a rotating wallpaper stripper that is guaranteed to remove upto 6 layers of wallpapper and paint, chip paper included - or your money back. :D
(Guess what I was doing at the weekend).

(I have seen a similar thread somewhere but can't find it here so must not have been here :) )

danielf
25-04-2005, 14:06
Dry water. The advantages are obvious. No more towelling down (saving time in the morning), no sand in all kinds of uncomfortable places on a sandy beach...

Bring it on... :)

Chris
25-04-2005, 14:06
I'd tell you, but I've not been down the Patent Office yet. Don't want any thieving scumbags nicking my idea!

Angua
25-04-2005, 14:17
A remote volume control to use on children!:hugs: (I love them really).

Halcyon
25-04-2005, 15:33
I have an idea for a no fuel consumption car that is 100% energy efficient. I am yet to try it out though and am going to build a small scale model to see if it works when I have some spare time. I've always thought of it but just havent ever tried it yet.
There would also be a set limit speed you get on this vehicle so there would be no chance of people speeding.

Chris W
25-04-2005, 15:35
A teleporting machine :)

ScaredWebWarrior
25-04-2005, 15:42
I have an idea for a no fuel consumption car that is 100% energy efficient.

OK - need to first of all set aside the laws of physics then.

I'd say that getting 10% more efficiency out of current vehicle technology would be more achievable and hence more valuable. At least we might get it in this lifetime. (Of the universe, that is ;))

For me it would be a "Ronco Wallpaperstripporator" a rotating wallpaper stripper that is guaranteed to remove upto 6 layers of wallpapper and paint, chip paper included - or your money back. :D
(Guess what I was doing at the weekend).

Yeah - been there too recently. Even a power tool that does it is like too much effort.

Just a solution to smear on the walls and then all those layers just drop off in good size pieces, so they're easy to clear up afterwards.

I'm not a great fan of decorating at the best of times, but mention 'wallpaper' and I tend to lose the will to live.

My house is now 99% wallpaper free!

zoombini
25-04-2005, 15:55
"wallpaper free" - I wish!

Stuart
25-04-2005, 16:02
Dry water. The advantages are obvious. No more towelling down (saving time in the morning), no sand in all kinds of uncomfortable places on a sandy beach...

That reminds me of an old Steven Wright (American comedian, not English DJ) routine. Apparently he found a packet of Powdered water and had no idea what to add.

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 16:04
A teleporting machine :)Great minds...... :tu: :D

zovat
25-04-2005, 16:07
a portable lie detector (or BS meter for accuracy).

What fun it would be to ask a politician a question and watch the meter go from "probably telling the truth" to "lying so much that I'm Surprised they are able to keep a straight face" in the space of two words.... :rofl:

Nemesis
25-04-2005, 16:36
x-ray specs

Macca371
25-04-2005, 17:31
Fat free kebabs and pizza

purenuman
25-04-2005, 17:33
a portable lie detector (or BS meter for accuracy).

What fun it would be to ask a politician a question and watch the meter go from "probably telling the truth" to "lying so much that I'm Surprised they are able to keep a straight face" in the space of two words.... :rofl:

http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.pse.html

Ramrod
25-04-2005, 17:39
http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.pse.htmlYou don't need that.........any married woman is more than adequate for that task! :erm: :D

Maggy
25-04-2005, 17:40
A damned oven cleaner that fecking well does what it says it does on the can....

I soooooooooooooooooooooo hate cleaning ovens and not one of the superduper oven cleaning substances out there actually work...The only thing that works is elbow grease and that costs nowt... :mad:

Angua
25-04-2005, 18:22
Oven Mate from Lakeland comes pretty close and does not smell foul,:cool: failing that get a Pyrolitic Oven, Brilliant, Almost cleans itself in 1 to 2 hours :angel:

A damned oven cleaner that fecking well does what it says it does on the can....

I soooooooooooooooooooooo hate cleaning ovens and not one of the superduper oven cleaning substances out there actually work...The only thing that works is elbow grease and that costs nowt... :mad:

Halcyon
25-04-2005, 18:30
Yes but what about inventing an OvenWasher which would be a dishwasher oven combi.
You cook, you put all your plates in there, it washes everything including the oven, and you also save space with just one unit in the kitchen.
Oh and whilst I'm going for the ultimate, may as well bung on a flat screen monitor on the oven door for browsing your mail whilst the turkey cooks behind you.

Russ
25-04-2005, 18:35
A volume switch for wimmin :D

Graham
25-04-2005, 19:21

Followed by a very well protected bunker...!

danielf
25-04-2005, 20:42
That reminds me of an old Steven Wright (American comedian, not English DJ) routine. Apparently he found a packet of Powdered water and had no idea what to add.

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

Comes to mind :)

Chimaera
25-04-2005, 20:49
And an even bigger one for men :ninja:

punky
25-04-2005, 20:59
A time machine so I can go back in time and alter posts I wish I hadn't made...

dilli-theclaw
25-04-2005, 21:04
Braille on cd's (The ones that get issued as talking newspapers for blind people) - you know just like the title or something.....

danielf
25-04-2005, 21:05
A time machine so I can go back in time and alter posts I wish I hadn't made...

But you'd be so busy you'd not have any time to make new posts :confused: ;)

punky
25-04-2005, 21:11
But you'd be so busy you'd not have any time to make new posts :confused: ;)

:PP:

Oh yeah, another invention... To be able to kick people's arses over the Internet :ninja: ;)

danielf
25-04-2005, 21:18
:PP:

Oh yeah, another invention... To be able to kick people's arses over the Internet :ninja: ;)

:Sprint: :)

homealone
25-04-2005, 21:22
Braille on cd's (The ones that get issued as talking newspapers for blind people) - you know just like the title or something.....

I imagine there would be an aerodynamic effect from embossing the cd just on one side, but embossing a mirror image on the other side, might help - a brilliant idea, but there must be a reason (apart from the cynical 'cost too much to develop'), why it isn't done already....???

gary_580
25-04-2005, 22:39

on/off would be better ;)

Dave Stones
25-04-2005, 22:42
can't tell you..... final year engineering project... gotta cover bases with patents and so forth ;) but it's in the making :)

gary_580
25-04-2005, 22:42

it is, you just need fine enough skin and small enough fingers to be able to read those pits in the disk ;)

MadGamer
25-04-2005, 22:44
To make smilies work on any forum.

gary_580
25-04-2005, 22:44
can't tell you..... final year engineering project... gotta cover bases with patents and so forth ;) but it's in the making :)

still working on that speed controller ;)

Stuart
25-04-2005, 22:49

A volume switch for dogs...

BTW, not comparing any women to dogs.

And an even bigger one for men :ninja:

Mine's big enough already....

Ohh Matron...

Marge
25-04-2005, 22:54
Mine's big enough already....

Ohh Matron...

:eek: :naughty: ;) :D :D :D :D

Paul
25-04-2005, 22:54
A combined time machine and teleporter. :)

Maggy
25-04-2005, 22:58
A way to Dewey system ones brain...I really have too much crap shoved in one corner...I need to spread it out a bit more.. :)

Sounds like my house. :D

zoombini
25-04-2005, 23:56
A way to Dewey system ones brain...

Is that like from Malcom in the Middle or something?

Raistlin
26-04-2005, 00:07
Dewey decimal system.

Next time you're in a library take a look at the spines of all the books.

The numbers that are used to classify the books, and keep everything in order so that you can find it, are called the Dewey System.

homealone
26-04-2005, 00:15
Dewey decimal system.

Next time you're in a library take a look at the spines of all the books.

The numbers that are used to classify the books, and keep everything in order so that you can find it, are called the Dewey System.

do what you want with your gmail storage.....;)

Raistlin
26-04-2005, 00:18
do what you want with your gmail storage.....;)

:shrug:

Angua
26-04-2005, 09:13

:scratch:Something like the old Dymo system might work then they could be stuck on as needed.

zoombini
26-04-2005, 11:00
Perhaps braille labels could be made & stuck on in the same way that ordinary labels are.

Dave Stones
26-04-2005, 11:04
still working on that speed controller ;)

*does a little dance* that's done :)

got lots more secret things to do on it yet though :p:

Nemesis
26-04-2005, 11:10
*does a little dance* that's done :)

got lots more secret things to do on it yet though :p:

Like painting it blue .... :) :rofl:

Dave Stones
26-04-2005, 11:26
Like painting it blue .... :) :rofl:

don't get me started again.... wouldnt want another banning now would you? :p:

anyway my hair is sort of green at the moment :)

Angua
26-04-2005, 11:48
It's printed directly on to the CD now

Bex
26-04-2005, 18:42
a watch which prevents men from ever being late :)

dilli-theclaw
26-04-2005, 18:43

Would it give you like little electric shocks if you're late?

Bex
26-04-2005, 18:48
Would it give you like little electric shocks if you're late?

exactly what i thought

gary_580
26-04-2005, 18:49

lol, how about wimin learning to tell the time and that its not possible to get to your destination is the same second as you leave the house ;)

Bex
26-04-2005, 19:04
lol, how about wimin learning to tell the time and that its not possible to get to your destination is the same second as you leave the house ;)

most of us CAN tell the time and if you say you will be somewhere then DON'T leave the house at THAT time:p:

punky
26-04-2005, 21:10
To make smilies work on any forum.

They do. Find a smilie you like, right click and find the location. Save it in a bookmark or something, and then when you want to put it in a forum, just paste the location wrapped around img tags.

cookie_365
26-04-2005, 21:51
A proper washing machine - in other words, one that you can put *any* article of clothing in, and it'll detect what they're made of, how dirty they are etc etc and clean them in exactly the right way - so you can have freshly laundered silk ties and proper wool suits without having to spend 1/2 your life queuing up at the dry cleaners.

Oh, and a machine for inserting cufflinks (into shirt cuffs ;) ) cos I'm so bad at it.

Oh, and the machine'll properly dry and press the clothes too, now I think about it.

Maggy
26-04-2005, 21:56
A proper washing machine - in other words, one that you can put *any* article of clothing in, and it'll detect what they're made of, how dirty they are etc etc and clean them in exactly the right way - so you can have freshly laundered silk ties and proper wool suits without having to spend 1/2 your life queuing up at the dry cleaners.

Oh, and a machine for inserting cufflinks (into shirt cuffs ;) ) cos I'm so bad at it.

Oh, and the machine'll properly dry and press the clothes too, now I think about it.

Gives everyone THE LOOK before they come up with the obvious usual response.... :p:

tkiely
26-04-2005, 22:37
a clone of myself which I could send to work while i ......um...........dont go to work!

cookie_365
26-04-2005, 22:53
Gives everyone THE LOOK before they come up with the obvious usual response.... :p:

Ah, but this machine is special - it isn't called 'my mum' :)

a clone of myself which I could send to work while i ......um...........dont go to work!

I'm sure there was something like this in one of the 70s comics

In fact, anyone remember Sam's Stopwatch - he could stop time, so if he was late for school he didn't have to run .....

And Peter's Pipes? When he played his pipes people on TV or in magazines turned into real little mini people. Who were apparantly happy to do as he bid them. I vaguely remember one strip where he used his pipes to create the worlds first PVR .... ;)

Raistlin
27-04-2005, 00:40
I'd like to invent a material that could be used to make men's clothes that don't:

Lose their shape when they've been washed more than once
Lose their colour when they've been washed more than once
Shrink when they've been washed more than once
Cost twice as much as an equivelant item of women's clothing (and yet, remarkably, turn out to be about half the quality)

ZrByte
27-04-2005, 02:10
Viable Nanite technology, Imagine the uses (both good and bad).

Or how about a gender translator, you know the way how women and men appear to be speaking a different language (not saying what they mean etc), imagine being able to put this device in your ear and suddenly understand what the other sex is saying :)

bopdude
27-04-2005, 03:05
Viable Nanite technology, Imagine the uses (both good and bad).

Or how about a gender translator, you know the way how women and men appear to be speaking a different language (not saying what they mean etc), imagine being able to put this device in your ear and suddenly understand what the other sex is saying :)

Never mind stopping there, what about being able to understand and talk to animals, in his bestest Dr. Dolittle voice ;)

But if I could invent something, anything, how about rocket boots, save on walking :D

dilli-theclaw
27-04-2005, 17:10
Rechargable batteries with built in solar panels so you can just pop them out in sunlight to charge them up.

P.s. I can't claim this is my idea - I saw this on tomorrows world - but never saw the batteries on sale.

zoombini
27-04-2005, 19:23
How about a wind up radio.

Oh no, Trevor beat me to it :D

Self turning the right way & pairing up & jumping in the right draw socks anyone?

How about the toothbrush holder that caters for a larger than 4 family AND has large holes to take modern fancy chaped brushes :D

Theodoric
29-04-2005, 18:30

Already been invented (http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/), I'm afraid!