PDA

View Full Version : Router stops working - Mentor FR4II

nooneo
22-04-2005, 16:49
I've had this model router for just over a year (don't laugh!) and it has recently started playing up.

Basic diagnosis based on:

Broadband connection went down Tuesday (12th) - ISP ntl. Until then I had no problem with router. If I had a broadband connection (Cable modem) then the router just needed configuring, if I needed to reset Cable Modem (I have reset modem and router many times without a problem - reset the router (reset button - then configured with dynamic Ip adress and mac address from Cable modem - winipcfg release/renew (win 98) then everything always worked fine!).

NTL engineer replaces cable modem (Model ntl 200 - though I am assured that this was just precautionary measure as problem is not at my end!)

Now broadband connection works fine if I dont use Mentor router - no problems

Connect FR4II and configure. Broadband connection works fine - for between 2 and 5 minutes then nothing - forced to reset everything then it just goes again in 2 to 5 minutes.

If anyone can shed any light I would be truly grateful

paulyoung666
22-04-2005, 17:30
hi and :welcome: to the site , is there a chance you can try it somewhere else :) , just to prove or disprove the router , if it is borked then you can pick a new one up for £20 :tu:

nooneo
22-04-2005, 18:09
I'm sorry I cant find anyone locally to check it (new to area).

By the way I had my service upgraded a couple of weeks ago from 300k to 1mb.

I have also upgraded the routers firmware to latest version.

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:19
I have just discovered if I reset the cable modem and router but do NOT configure with the MAC address for the CM leaving the default router's MAC address the network works? Can anyone Explain.

Why was this moved from Broadband Support - If the problem isnt the router then surely this thread should be in broadband support. You guys, give you a unfirom and......

Neil
22-04-2005, 19:22
Why was this moved from Broadband Support - If the problem isnt the router then surely this thread should be in broadband support. You guys, give you a unfirom and......

Don't be so rude.

The threads can be moved back with ease, I suggest you be a little more polite when you're looking for help.

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:23
Well why was it moved then, its a simple question?

Neil
22-04-2005, 19:25
Well why was it moved then, its a simple question?

Here's a simple answer.....

Now broadband connection works fine if I dont use Mentor router - no problems

Connect FR4II and configure. Broadband connection works fine - for between 2 and 5 minutes then nothing - forced to reset everything then it just goes again in 2 to 5 minutes.

Your problem doesn't appear to be with your ntl BB connection as it only appears when you connect your router, hence why the thread is not in the ntl BB forum.

Raistlin
22-04-2005, 19:33
Got a software firewall running on the PC by any chance?

Oh, and you really don't want to be cloning the MAC address of the CM onto the router..... If anything you want to be cloning the address of the PC onto the router..... But there's really no need to do that, once the CM is provisioned for the router you shouldn't need to clone MAC addresses at all.

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:34
But my network is NOW working, with the said router and I seem to have bypassed the MAC address on the NTL supplied modem!

This is both against advice from NTL themsleves and the router manufacturers. I think it as as likely to be an NTL problem as a router problem. There are plenty of other similar problems in the broadband discussion forum. I think this is also relevant. This probably has more to do TCP/IP than general computing.

I am new to forums and apologise if my reply seemed a bit much but I am having no joy from NTL who simply say it works directly into the modem, no go away and sort it yourself!

I'm just after an explanation for what has had me pulling my hair out for 2 days.

I didn't think it could work this way, until recently I'm pretty sure the network couldn't see the internet using the routers MAC address, now its the only way it doesn't crash!

Neil
22-04-2005, 19:36
Have you cloned the MAC address of your network card onto the router?

Raistlin
22-04-2005, 19:37
you're getting FAR too hung up on MAC addresses. Ignore them, they're the proverbial red herring.....

Your modem will register itself (or provision itself, whatever) to one MAC address at a time only. At the moment it is provisioned to the MAC address of the router, if you change the setup (ie connect a different router or connect directly to a PC) it will stop working because it is still looking for the MAC address of the router.

That's all that matters.

Neil
22-04-2005, 19:39
you're getting FAR too hung up on MAC addresses. Ignore them, they're the proverbial red herring.....

Your modem will register itself (or provision itself, whatever) to one MAC address at a time only. At the moment it is provisioned to the MAC address of the router, if you change the setup (ie connect a different router or connect directly to a PC) it will stop working because it is still looking for the MAC address of the router.

That's all that matters.

^^ What he said.

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:42
No, (in the past) I have only copied the MAC address of the Modem into the routers configuration, following the manufacturers instructions. Never had a problem till recently. Now when I do it the system crashes in minutes.

If I leave the default MAC address everything is fine. CS at ntl told me that cant be happening?

The strange thing is that used to be the only way I could get it to work?

Raistlin
22-04-2005, 19:44
Do me a favour?

Please just humour me here.....

Please would you post the first set of digits from your MAC address, just the first 2 or 3 before the first full stop/period.

Don't post the whole thing, that way you will remain safe.

I've heard of copying the MAc address of the PC into the router but NEVER the MAC address of the CM.....

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:44
00.02.8a

Raistlin
22-04-2005, 19:45
Thanks.

nooneo
22-04-2005, 19:52
Right I'm off to the pub, killed enough brain cells the hard way today! Grrr. Thanks for your help everyone.

rdhw
22-04-2005, 20:13
I have only copied the MAC address of the Modem into the routers configuration, following the manufacturers instructions.It would always be an error to copy the MAC address of a cable modem into a router configuration: this would result in a duplicate MAC address on the same network segment.

What router manufacturers sometimes recommend is copying the MAC address of a PC's ethernet card into the router. This is only necessary if cable service provisioning is tied to the MAC address of the customer's PC. On NTL, this would be necessary only in ex-CWC regions.