PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting a better service since the upgrade

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:33
Just thought a little poll might help here since the upgrade we appear to have a few people complaning about problems with the service disconnects not being able to see websites

So here goes an eng poll

ian@huth
22-04-2005, 15:36
No problems here. Will tick the appropriate box if it ever appears. :)

Ooops, there it is now.

I have ticked "it's about the same" because I didn't really have problems before and the same applies after. The service is naturally faster though, as expected.

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:37
No problems here. Will tick the appropriate box if it ever appears. :)

i think its about the same is the one you want :D

ian@huth
22-04-2005, 15:41
i think its about the same is the one you want :DIt would have been, but there was no poll there when I first posted. :D

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:43
It would have been, but there was no poll there when I first posted. :D

Your jumping a head of the eng ;) have had to put a bit worse been having many disconnects and browsing probs

Ignition
22-04-2005, 15:45
Just out of curiousity, if Ian described it as about the same because he had no problems before and none after, apart from the speed increase then, erm, how is anyone supposed to say their service has improved?

It's a speed upgrade, higher speed = improvement in service doesn't it?

paulyoung666
22-04-2005, 15:46
never really had any real problems , it worked before it works now , just a lot faster :D :D

ian@huth
22-04-2005, 15:49
Just out of curiousity, if Ian described it as about the same because he had no problems before and none after, apart from the speed increase then, erm, how is anyone supposed to say their service has improved?

It's a speed upgrade, higher speed = improvement in service doesn't it?I wondered about that too. :)

I suppose that there could be customers who had problems prior to the speed upgrade and who have got rid of the problems after upgrading. Maybe replacing their Pace STB with a Samsung or SACM got rid of the problems?

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:50

It's a speed upgrade, higher speed = improvement in service doesn't it?

You never know it might, it depends if you get a higher speed but other problems with it then higher speed does not = improvement in service .
Or after upgrade you have no extra problems

BTW ign was in the winnerish triangle the other day is that near you :D

Ignition
22-04-2005, 15:52
You never know it might, it depends if you get a higher speed but other problems with it then higher speed does not = improvement in service .
Or after upgrade you have no extra problems

BTW ign was in the winnerish triangle the other day is that near you :D

Surely if upgrade produces issues it's a degredation of service, if no extra problems service enhanced?

Nah nowhere near Winnerish Triangle, Mr BBKing works near Winnersh Triangle station though.

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:53
Surely if upgrade produces issues it's a degredation of service, if no extra problems service enhanced?

go on then will go with that otherwise we will end up debating all day ;)

Ignition
22-04-2005, 15:54
go on then will go with that otherwise we will end up debating all day ;)

Works for me! Ta.

Not being a biatch just trying to keep the poll subjective so that we can get more value out of the results :)

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 15:56
Works for me! Ta.

Not being a biatch just trying to keep the poll subjective so that we can get more value out of the results :)

Not like me and you to have a different view :angel: :D

Crikey th'eng in the Winnerish Triangle, Mr BBKing area wonder did he see the dark clouds wednesday:LOL:

ian@huth
22-04-2005, 15:56

Nah nowhere near Winnerish Triangle, Mr BBKing works near Winnersh Triangle station though.So where would "it's about the same come in"? That's why I had to qualify the answer as there appeared to be an element missing in the question. I suppose the placebo affect could blur some peoples perception of service level.

Ignition
22-04-2005, 16:00
So where would "it's about the same come in"? That's why I had to qualify the answer as there appeared to be an element missing in the question. I suppose the placebo affect could blur some peoples perception of service level.

I can't really see how an 'about the same' could come into it. It's supposed to be a service improvement. If speed upgrade worked your service is better, if issues arose from the upgrade then service has been degraded assuming it was working properly as before.

IMHO a 1.5Mbit fully working service is better than a 3.0Mbit dubious service, I'd regard any instability in connection resulting from the upgrade as degradation, which is not offset by the better speeds when connection is working.

th'engineer
22-04-2005, 16:01
I can't really see how an 'about the same' could come into it. It's supposed to be a service improvement. If speed upgrade worked your service is better, if issues arose from the upgrade then service has been degraded assuming it was working properly as before.

IMHO a 1.5Mbit fully working service is better than a 3.0Mbit dubious service, I'd regard any instability in connection resulting from the upgrade as degradation, which is not offset by the better speeds when connection is working.

there something wrong here why are we agreeing :LOL:

DocDutch
22-04-2005, 16:56
well most of the time my connection itself is running ok ish but then quite often all of a sudden I cant browse the web nor can I ping any website but if I ping and go to an ip address it comes up.

strange things happening ... might just leave NThell soon enough as I'm fed up with the service...tv hardly working all the time the browse and stb freezing...

micah56
22-04-2005, 18:17
My connection is great, website loads up quick and downloads fast all the time, and the new STB has not had a crash yet

I am dissapointed about the upload speeds that could be a lot better

paulyoung666
22-04-2005, 18:39
My connection is great, website loads up quick and downloads fast all the time, and the new STB has not had a crash yet

I am dissapointed about the upload speeds that could be a lot better

hi and :welcome: to the site , do you mean your upload speeds are poor or do you mean you think they should be set at a higher level :)

Paul
22-04-2005, 18:52
I guess it depends on what you mean by "service". My speed has improved since I moved to 3M - but not by the 2x you would expect when going from 1.5M to 3M. Most of the time I don't seem to get much better than 2M. Therefore in my eyes my "service" has not improved, as I no longer get 100% of the speed I pay for. Since I'm now paying for a speed I rarely get I will be switching to the 2M service shortly.

Chrysalis
22-04-2005, 19:06
I ticked its a lot better, some may remember the problems I was having with inconsistent pings and speeds, these seem to have gone away when the upgrades came into place.

micah56
22-04-2005, 21:38
hi and :welcome: to the site , do you mean your upload speeds are poor or do you mean you think they should be set at a higher level :)

Thanx 4 the welcome :cool:

Yer i meant that the upload speeds should be set to a higher level, i only upload at 25kBps, how crap is that

Spurs007
22-04-2005, 21:45
Voted that my service is worse. Until the upgrades I was one of those rare customers that never had any complaints with the service, I now get regular disconnections, time outs, slow speeds rarely at the full speed for 3mb.

Monster Jedi
22-04-2005, 22:59
online games is still useless bad pings the lot:td:

Hans Gruber
23-04-2005, 00:32
I voted it's about the same. It's the quality of the service that's important to me, not the speed. It's always been fine before and it's been fine since :)

Stop It
23-04-2005, 00:56
Mine has become a lot better, my pings have really improved (making online gaming a lot better, even packet loss on xbl is down since upgrade), of course 3meg is brilliantly fast (Getright comes into its own here :D), and my service has been near perfection.

daxx
23-04-2005, 02:02
voted item 1.

Speed increase = better

no other problems other than the usual occasional blip either poxy or DNS related but they are soon overcome

mfarmilo
23-04-2005, 03:22
I've voted 'about the same'. No major issues since the upgrade thank goodness. I don't count the speed upgrade under 'service' since to me that's referring to reliability.

Ignition
23-04-2005, 03:43
online games is still useless bad pings the lot:td:

Since the upgrade. I've downloaded 435gigs.

Generally online gaming and raping the **** out of your connection don't go together too well.

I voted it's about the same. It's the quality of the service that's important to me, not the speed. It's always been fine before and it's been fine since :)

Herein lies the issue, the 'upgrade' is literally just the changing of a modem config file, how else is it supposed to improve service apart from speedwise? The poll is pretty much useless.

I ticked its a lot better, some may remember the problems I was having with inconsistent pings and speeds, these seem to have gone away when the upgrades came into place.

Nope, you need to thank the chaps in Leicester for breaking your area down and upgrading the network to add capacity, the speed upgrade didn't do anything for you per se.

I've voted 'about the same'. No major issues since the upgrade thank goodness. I don't count the speed upgrade under 'service' since to me that's referring to reliability.

Again why the poll has a few issues :(

I agree actually, but before that happens ideally people need to stop using their home connections as FTP servers or leaving P2P on all the time, the up to down usage ratio isn't far off 1:1 even though the bandwidth cap per cust ratio is 10:1.

P.S. Cap as in maximum rate not as in amount you can download.

Hans Gruber
23-04-2005, 11:19
Herein lies the issue, the 'upgrade' is literally just the changing of a modem config file, how else is it supposed to improve service apart from speedwise? The poll is pretty much useless.

It's possible you could have got a degraded service due to the upgrade because of the extra stress on the network, but it seems as though it has coped with it pretty well. So really it needs 2 options, 'it's about the same' or 'it's got worse'.

th'engineer
24-04-2005, 08:59

You forget the punter might have a nice new Samsung as part of the upgrade so all his BB services have improved.:D

He might have had a Pace 1000,2000 or even morse a Pace 4000:angel:

Jon_
24-04-2005, 09:18
Just thought a little poll might help here since the upgrade we appear to have a few people complaning about problems with the service disconnects not being able to see websites

So here goes an eng poll

Im very satisfied, sometimes during peak periods my conection would drop out then re connect stright away a few times a night, had none of that at all since the upgrade. All websites have been visible, but of course alot faster.

Overall NTL have 1 happy customer here :) (well apart from the fact they messed up on direct debit's but that aint exactly down the the BB service)

Haighy
24-04-2005, 17:51
I voted about the same. It is faster and thats good but the transparent caches are still there and cause me problems as always.

Does anyone know of a free, reliable, cache that I could specify to get round NTLs ones ? (Sorry if this bit is in the wrong place but it just struck me and it is a shame to waste all that typing)

Oh and the mail system still keeps holding up messages now and again but I have my address pointed to gmail now and that is set to forward to my NTL account. So if I dont see the normal levels of mail then I can pop over to gmail and check. Having all that storage space is quite useful too :-)