PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Survey's

gazzae
17-09-2003, 15:43
Hi,

I've just had two phone calls in the last week regarding telephone surveys.

Both calls went along the sames lines, they asked my name and said MR XXXX, you took part in a computer cleaning survey a couple of weeks ago (which I didn't, and nobody in the office has either) and we would like to thank you by sending you a gift.
They offered to send me a case of Red Wine the first time, and the second time a mens and ladies watch.
They then asked for my home address to send the gift too. I refused to give them any details and they abruptly hung up.

I assumed it was some sort of scam.
Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Gareth

Xaccers
17-09-2003, 16:08
Sounds like the scam where you get called requesting to confirm the company's address, and as a thankyou they say they want to send some gift vouchers, you give your address, they know that house is likely to be empty during the day.

Dave Stones
17-09-2003, 17:55
have you heard of the telephone preference service? they stop all this kind of stuff if you register with them i think. same principle as the mailing preference service that stops junk mail, but for telephones...

Graham
17-09-2003, 20:23
There is a "weasel" that some of these companies are using that because they're not selling anything, only telling you that you've "won a competition", they are exempt from the TPS lists.

Of course what happens is that, somewhere along the line you have to pick up your prize at a presentation or some such where someone *will* try to sell you something.

I'd not had one of these for a long time, but I got one today from what I'm sure was a foreign call centre (1471 gave "we do not have the number", not "the number was witheld"), but I just refused to confirm my details and they hung up.