PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 router to the internet

Haret
20-04-2005, 18:31
Hello, I'm new to the boards but they were recommended to me since apparently the help here is great.

I bought a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 router last Saturday in hope to achieve splitting the internet connection between 3 computers in the household. 2 of these computers use Windows XP Professional Edition while the other uses the Home Edition.

I followed the installation instructions on the manual precisely for both meothds of installation (USB and Ethernet) and was successful in achieveing a network between the compters. What I wasn't able to achieve was to get an internet connection. Since the router has a built in ADSL modem, the data LED on the router kept flashing at odd intervals and sometimes it wouldn't light up for a couple of minutes, in the other hand, the other LED's for the power, ADSL line as well the computers networked were lighting perfectly and constantly.

I accessed the manual configuration via the IP address provided and followed some instructions I found online, sadly, no difference. The router also came with a driver disk for the USB installation method. The CD also contained a "Quick Setup" option for the Ethernet and USB, I tried to use that too but again, no pleasing results.

I just want to know: how can I configure the router to allow me to get online?

jellybaby
20-04-2005, 18:35
i'm assuming you are using NTL broadband, in which case the router wont work due to the ADSL modem.....NTL don't use an ADSL line

Haret
20-04-2005, 18:40
Oh, I'm using BT Yahoo! Broadband.

jellybaby
20-04-2005, 18:42
you should be alright with that modem then.....:)

I'm sure someone will be along to help you out soon

Haret
20-04-2005, 18:47
thanks mate, really looking forward to the help ^__^

Richard M
20-04-2005, 18:56
Have you put the username/password in that your ISP gave to you?
You will also need to enter their DNS server's into the DHCP settings of the router, unless this is provided by your ISP's DHCP to the router.

gkhewitt
20-04-2005, 21:53
You'll need to login to the web interface of your router to change the settings. Usually this requires opening a webbrowser and going to an address such as http://192.168.0.1 but it can vary, look in your manual.

BT Yahoo broadband doesn't technically use a username and password to authenticate. To login, you should just be able to leave the user/pass blank, but if your router complains then use:

user: firstname.lastname@btbroadband.com
pass: adsl

Make sure your encapsulation is set to PPPoA (VC) and the MTU should be set to 1458

HTH

Haret
21-04-2005, 09:13
IT WORKS!! :D I knwe that this forum rocks! *laughs* Thank you everybody!

I only had to change the MTU value gkhewitt :D but thanks for everyone's support, it was awesome!

Haret
21-04-2005, 15:04
Sorry for the double post but I've got another problem now:

I cannot seem to be able to access my webmail, meaning: hotmail. I tried both Firefox AND internet explorer but both won't let me access it. In IE, it tells me: this page cannot be displayed, but in firefox, I get a smal window that says: this page contains no data.

Is this a security issue that I can manage via the browser or do I need to configure the router to something? Can someone please help :)

Very much appreciated

Haret

gkhewitt
21-04-2005, 16:25
Just a hunch, but can you access any secure sites?

Try going to https://www.paypal.com/ and see if that works.

Hotmail uses a secure connection to login and I've had a client that experienced this before, albeit with AOL. In the end it came down to the MTU setting, but then, this should be set properly now in your case?

Haret
21-04-2005, 16:36
Yeah, I can access my paypal account...

Not too sure what the problem is. A friend of mine suggested something to do with port 80 or something? I really don't know

p.s: I can't log onto my eBay account either

gkhewitt
21-04-2005, 17:58
It could be you have inadvertedly set a proxy in your webbrowser. In Internet Explorer, it's under

Tools > Internet Options > Connections (tab) > LAN Settings

Make sure that the tick box under "Proxy server" is not ticked and OK out.

Haret
21-04-2005, 19:40
It hasn't solved the problem :( sorry

zing_deleted
21-04-2005, 19:47
Have you tried dropping the mtu? what size is it now??

Setting MTU size is a process of trial-and-error: start with the maximum value of 1500, then reduce the size until the problem goes away. Using one of these values is likely to solve problems caused by MTU size:

1500. The largest Ethernet packet size; it is also the default value. This is the typical setting for non-PPPoE, non-VPN connections. The default value for NETGEAR routers, adapters and switches.
1492. The size PPPoE prefers.
1472. Maximum size to use for pinging. (Bigger packets are fragmented.)
1468. The size DHCP prefers.
1460. Usable by AOL if you don't have large email attachments, etc.
1430. The size VPN and PPTP prefer.
1400. Maximum size for AOL DSL.
576. Typical value to connect to dial-up ISPs.
These are setting for netgear routers but the figures should be similar

Haret
21-04-2005, 20:03
The MTU is set to 1458

zing_deleted
21-04-2005, 20:04
try some of the others:)

gkhewitt
21-04-2005, 20:09
He can't... if you read the start of this topic, the MTU has to be set to that for BT Yahoo broadband - it is a requirement.

I agree though, it sounds like an MTU problem. I would suggest calling their Tech Support

Haret
21-04-2005, 22:12
Thanks for the help guys :)

zing_deleted
21-04-2005, 22:18
He can't... if you read the start of this topic, the MTU has to be set to that for BT Yahoo broadband - it is a requirement.

I agree though, it sounds like an MTU problem. I would suggest calling their Tech Support

Sorry but where does it say its a requirement?
I would drop it to 1400 then work my way up the pkt sizes

gkhewitt
21-04-2005, 22:25
Well, okay, it's not technically a requirement but BT does suggest that 1458 is the correct value to use for their broadband.

http://eco.btwholesale.com/broadband1/update/index.asp#20030131

As I can't think of any other cause of this, you're right in suggesting that the value be changed. Logic would suggest it needs to be lower, but probably not as low as 1400.

Make the changes on your router web admin as before, then reset the router (having saved changes) and try again.

Haret
22-04-2005, 21:21
Phoned the BT Tech support line 3 times today so I could speak to different operators, none were of great help, at least, they didn't provide me with the necessary information I required. They suggested I call the Dynamode manufacturer number and speak to them directly. But I thought that my ISP should give me the MTU values or any other values that correspond to their service line.

Should I just buy a new router? Am I giving up too quickly?

zing_deleted
22-04-2005, 21:49
Your setting i correct for bt yahoo but this does not mean you can't try other values give it go you go nothing to lose