PDA

View Full Version : ebay ntl modems for sale

martikus
20-04-2005, 18:18
I have seen modems on ntl for sale. now i know that the current ones won't work if you purchase them as they are tied to the subscriber but i have seen the old motarolla modems that in the old days you had to purvhase to use broadband. If i purchased one of these could i use it at my address as from other threads i have seen customers who purchased the motarolla get a £5 discount off their subscription. I look forward to all your replies

Derek
20-04-2005, 18:21
Nope.

If you purchase the modem it will be an expensive paperweight. You won't get any new features with it and can't register it to work onto your account.

Chris W
20-04-2005, 18:23
nope

they need to be provisioned with ntl, and if you buy a 2nd hand modem you won't be able to convince anyone at ntl to do this for you, and you certainly won't get a discount.

ntl only offer rental modems to new customers now.

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 18:24
Nope.

If you purchase the modem it will be an expensive paperweight. You won't get any new features with it and can't register it to work onto your account.

^^^^^^^^^

as above :nono: , it aint going to work , forget it ;)

martikus
20-04-2005, 18:33
i know that the new type modems wont work but even the older motarolla surfboards wont work?

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 18:39
i know that the new type modems wont work but even the older motarolla surfboards wont work?

listen carefully , ntl wont connect it up , you will get no service , it will be an expensive decorative item of little use , got it now :erm: :)

bmxbandit
20-04-2005, 18:41
ntl could make it work, but the price of the sacm is so low that it makes zero sense for them to, and even less to give a discount.

in short, don't buy one!

martikus
20-04-2005, 18:43
fair enough. no need to get stroopy. i have a modem supplied with my subscription anyway. just thought i'd check as my friend had a motarolla from the early days of ntl broadband and he's been able to move it from house to house and he saves £5 a month. just thought i'd ask as theirs no harm in asking

ntl could make it work, but the price of the sacm is so low that it makes zero sense for them to, and even less to give a discount.

in short, don't buy one!
thanks bmx.

SMHarman
20-04-2005, 18:44
Next time he moves it will lose the £5 discount

bmxbandit
20-04-2005, 18:45
a fiver a month discount is a lot for owning a piece of kit that probably only costs a tenner... :)

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 18:50
fair enough. no need to get stroopy. i have a modem supplied with my subscription anyway. just thought i'd check as my friend had a motarolla from the early days of ntl broadband and he's been able to move it from house to house and he saves £5 a month. just thought i'd ask as theirs no harm in asking

if that was directed at me then i wasnt getting stroppy ;) , just a case of trying to get the message across :)

martikus
20-04-2005, 18:55
fair enough but as with telly I don't believe the first thing it tells me i like to get it confirmed by several people first then the odds are the information is correct. Wasn't trying to be ignorant, just trying to make sure id put my info across proparly. thanks everyone for your replies

Paul
20-04-2005, 19:26
a fiver a month discount is a lot for owning a piece of kit that probably only costs a tenner... :)They cost a bit more than a tenner when he bought it ;)

martikus
20-04-2005, 19:35
They cost a bit more than a tenner when he bought it ;)
If i remember rightly at the time it was somewhere between £100-£150 oouchh:Yikes:

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 19:48
If i remember rightly at the time it was somewhere between £100-£150 oouchh:Yikes:

i reckon you are near the mark :tu:

Paul
20-04-2005, 20:04
£150 Iirc

martikus
20-04-2005, 20:38
It seems mad the amount of modems that are for sale on ebay. And from what i can see in the t@c they are only leased by the customer so isn't it breaking the law by selling em? (obviously not including owners of the motarolla surfboard) although when i moved into my current house the previous owners had left a cable modem in there and CS and the engineer who came out to install my sdervices said for me to just throw the one left behind out.

Chris W
20-04-2005, 20:39
It seems mad the amount of modems that are for sale on ebay. And from what i can see in the t@c they are only leased by the customer so isn't it breaking the law by selling em? (obviously not including owners of the motarolla surfboard) although when i moved into my current house the previous owners had left a cable modem in there and CS and the engineer who came out to install my sdervices said for me to just throw the one left behind out.

yup

but they are pretty much worthless to ntl so they never bother collecting them.

It is breaking the law selling them, but then again since when has the law stopped people from doing things that they want to!?

martikus
20-04-2005, 20:54
Aint that the truth. (off to list that old modem now....kidding)

Ignition
20-04-2005, 20:59
The Terayon Terajet 210 was £170 ;)

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 21:07
The Terayon Terajet 210 was £170 ;)

as paul hugs his trusty tj210 :ghugs: :D :D :D

martikus
20-04-2005, 21:11
god been looking through ebay and now i've found chipped cable tv boxes for sale. looks like the old analogue boxes i used to have. didnt think ntl even supplied an analogue service anymore

it amazes me what people sell on ebay. hope whoever buys em gets ripped off....lol

aliferste
20-04-2005, 21:12
Could you not use one of these bought cable modems with another broadband provider?

martikus
20-04-2005, 21:15
well if it won't work with ntl i cant see it working with telewest either. and cable modems won't work with adsl as its different technology if i'm correct.

sweaty
20-04-2005, 21:46
They don't collect modem boxes and reluctantly collect analogue boxes, if pushed. that's wht they end up on e-bay. The collection agents get nothing for them. I've even seen them being used as ladder stabilizers!!

martikus
20-04-2005, 21:48
anyone else found an interesting use for old set top boxes or cable modem boxes?

jonifen
20-04-2005, 23:12
An old set top box could be stripped for a nice small media-centre type PC with the help of a dremel and an imagination ;)

handyman
20-04-2005, 23:35
Cable modems like the digi set tops have a code hard chipped into them. its only this code than when its in your account and attched to a service that makes things work. Any ex ntl hardware is useless as they cannot move it too your account.

mrlipring
21-04-2005, 16:11
I wouldn't say useless... :)

Stuart
21-04-2005, 17:37
I wouldn't say useless... :)

You could use it as door stops, to prop up a table, or (with a handy soldering iron) a source for spare parts.

Of course, there is another option, but discussing that is against T&Cs...

:D

Raistlin
21-04-2005, 18:20
The modem that I am using at the moment was left behind in my flat by the previous occupant.

I called NTL and requested an account, got the account info off of them, and they booked an engineer to call and install phone, TV, and broadband.

Sick of waiting (was going to be about 10 days before they could get to me) I plugged the modem in to see what would happen.

It connected first time and went through the registration process without a hiccup. Obviously NTL had no prior knowledge of the MAC etc for this modem being registered to my account, it just picked it up as it went through the registration.

Jonboy
21-04-2005, 18:54
when i moved house i took my surfboard 4100 with me the engineer arrived and wanted to take my surfboard away and install one of the new ones now issued ,i refused to let him do that and insisted he hooked up my surfboard he refused and said it wont work in your area mate you best contact the cs so i phoned ntl myself spoke to a chap in cs/tec who said yes of course your surfboard will work wots your mac add so i gave it to him and bingo back on line within 1/2 hour of the engineer leaveing my house now i know why he wanted to take my modem away and i think the little house knows something about it to
:naughty: