PDA

View Full Version : College freshman creates nuclear fusion reactor

Jerrek
17-09-2003, 05:50
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,510054502,00.html

Fun with fusion: Freshman's nuclear fusion reactor has USU physics faculty in awe

LOGAN -- A widespread belief among physicists nowadays is that modern science requires squadrons of scientists and wildly expensive equipment.
Craig Wallace and Philo T. Farnsworth are putting the lie to all that.
Wallace, a baby-faced tennis player fresh out of Spanish Fork High School, had almost the entire physics faculty of Utah State University hovering (and arguing) over an apparatus he had cobbled together from parts salvaged from junk yards and charity drops.
The apparatus is nothing less than the sine qua non of modern science: a nuclear fusion reactor, based on the plans of Utah's own Philo Farnsworth, the inventor of television.
The reactor sat on a table with an attached vacuum pump wheezing away. A television monitor showed what was inside: a glowing ball of gas surrounded by a metal helix.
The ball is, literally, a small sun, where an electric field forces deuteron ions (a form of hydrogen) to gather, bang together and occasionally fuse, spitting out a neutron each time fusion occurs.
"Here I am with this thing here," Wallace mused, looking at his surroundings. "Who'da thought?"
Wallace and Farnsworth are much alike. Both are (or were -- Farnsworth died in 1971) tinkerers. While Wallace was in grade school, his mother got a flat tire while he was riding with her. He fixed it. For his part, Farnsworth began improvising electric motors at a young age. Both went on to bigger and better things.
"He was never motivated to take science," said Wallace's father, Allen Wallace. "It was really the tinkering that motivated him."
When Craig was a sophomore in high school, browsing the Internet he discovered that Farnsworth had come up with a way to create deuteron ion plasma, a prerequisite to fusion.
While it was not good for production of energy (the source of much embarrassment to the University of Utah in the cold fusion debacle in the late 1980s), Farnsworth's design did emit neutrons, a useful tool for commercial applications and scientific experimentation.
"He (Farnsworth) was after the Holy Grail of excess energy, but everyone agrees that it's mostly useful as a neutron generator," Allen Wallace said.
About 30 such devices exist around the country, owned by such entities as Los Alamos National Laboratories, NASA and universities. ("I bet I'm the only high school student that has one," Craig Wallace said.)
Looking at Farnsworth's plans for the first time, Craig and his father both had the same thought: Now there's a science project.
They set to work. They found a neutron detector in an Idaho Falls scrap metal yard. Craig built a neutron modulator (which slows down the emitted neutrons so they can be detected) out of a few hundred spare CDs. They found a broken turbo molecular pump lying forgotten at Deseret Industries.
Too poor to buy pricey deuterium gas, Craig bought a container of deuterium oxide, or heavy water, for 20 bucks and came up with a way to make it a gas and get rid of the accompanying oxygen by passing it over heated magnesium filings.
Not bad for a backyard amateur who considered himself more mechanic than scientist.
"I teased him that he was now officially a science geek," Allen Wallace said.
One professor Friday stood nervously away from Wallace's reactor -- which is notably free from any shielding -- but he needn't have worried: Wallace's detector measures 36 neutrons per minute just in background radiation from space, and the device's usual output adds only four neutrons per minute. People in airplanes absorb much more than that.
It took two years of gathering materials and six months of assembly, but the final product actually, incongruously, works.
"(This was) the day I achieved a Poisser plasma reaction," Wallace wrote next to a picture of the glowing ball. "Probably the coolest thing I have ever seen."
Others thought it was cool, too. Wallace began winning contests -- local, state, national -- culminating in second place in the International Intel Science and Engineering Fair last May in Cleveland. He's now beginning work on a USU physics degree.
"The whole thing combines chemistry, engineering, physics," he said. "Put them all together and you come out with something pretty sweet."
Farnsworth would have been proud.

Pretty good for a freshmen, eh? Arrgghh dammit, how stupid I feel now. I'm a sophomore and nothing like this is on my record... Dammit.

/goes off to do some research [warp drive]

Xaccers
17-09-2003, 06:21
Nah, didn't you hear about the 15 year old boyscout who built a reactor in his shed to try and get his atomic badge?
A university recreated the reactor and found it actually produced uranium (in very small quantities)

downquark1
17-09-2003, 08:49
Very, very impressive.

When Nuclear fusion can be done effectively it will the greatest, clean energy production method. Basically each one works like small sun.

Atomic22
18-09-2003, 19:59
erm didn't john logie baird invent television?
thats what all the books say anyways not some yank from utah called philo farnsworth

Atomic22
18-09-2003, 20:07
check out http://www.jet.efda.org/index.html
the Joint European Torus has now been running for 17 years.
and although we deal with fission and not fusion the firm i work for made quite a few parts for the jet project many years ago when it was in its infancy

Jon T
18-09-2003, 20:11
Originally posted by Atomic22
thats what all the books say anyways not some yank from utah called philo farnsworth

I always thought Baird invented TV aswell, but the thing is, every important scientic or technological inovation has at some time been victim of a "we invented that" from the yanks.

As an example, apparently the Americans invented the Harrier Jump Jet:shrug:!

Jon

Graham
18-09-2003, 23:59
Originally posted by Atomic22

JLB invented a *form* of television, however it's not the one that we use today.

But arguing about who created the "first" system is like trying to decide for instance whether Fox-Talbot or Daguerre invented photography.

Jerrek
19-09-2003, 01:02
I've always been taught that Philo Farmsworth invented the television, and that is what I believe.

http://www.farnovision.com/chronicles/tfc-who_invented_what.html

On September 7, 1927, Philo T. Farnsworth demonstrated for the first time that it was possible to transmit an "electrical image" without the use of any mechanical contrivances whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1928791301/103-7967605-2041434?v=glance

The Boy Who Invented Television: A Story of Inspiration, Persistence and Quiet Passion

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/09/4.jpg

Bifta
19-09-2003, 02:21
Do a search on google.co.uk on all sites for "who invented television" andit'll come up with quiff boy above, flick it over to uk site's only and it's John Logie Baird ...

Jerrek
19-09-2003, 03:36
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltelevision.htm#Mechanical%20Television

John Logie Baird is remembered as being an inventor of a mechanical television system.

Philo Farnsworth conceived the world's first all-electronic television at the age of 15.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/09/9.gif

Lord Nikon
19-09-2003, 03:56
Logie Baird, the father of this pervasive technology, first publicly demonstrated television on 26 January 1926, in his small laboratory in the Soho district of London.

Jerrek
19-09-2003, 05:44
A mechanical system, not the electrical one we are using today.

Atomic22
19-09-2003, 20:14
it was still the worlds first tv a year before the yank

Atomic22
19-09-2003, 20:17
Originally posted by Jerrek
A mechanical system, not the electrical one we are using today.

thats like saying the yanks invented the rocket "like the electrical ones we use today" and not the chinese hundreds of years ago

Lord Nikon
19-09-2003, 20:39
http://www.mztv.com/pioneers.html#nipkow

trebor
19-09-2003, 21:07
How do you turn an "all-electronic television" on without a mechanical switch?
if you remove the back of any modern tv you will find loads of mechanical parts without which it wouldn't work.

so if Philo Farnsworth invented an all electric tv, it didn't and wouldn't work.

Jerrek
19-09-2003, 22:51
trebot that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard. First, the switch is irrelevant. It is the way the television operates.

And, do you know what a relay is?

And I'm not about to change my mind. Philo Farnsworth invented the television. Its the way I was taught, it is the way it is down in history, and it is the way the books I've read has it.

keithwalton
20-09-2003, 00:20
nowonder the folk over the pond think they created everything then, they make up some slight variation and call it somthing different, a television is a television be it mechanical or electric the brit got there first,
your yank invented the 'modern television' not the television.

Could all academic staff over there be informed of this fact just because your books say its correct doesnt mean it is.

Just reading up some more on the subject, a rusian got the first electrical system to work, JLB was the first to transmit, and the yank was the first to file a patent on it and call it his even though it was a while after the other two sucessfull tests. He then decided to sue the others for infringement of patent and won, even though they did it first :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
And so the american courts decided for you lot that he invented it rather than the true facts

K

Xaccers
20-09-2003, 04:32
Isn't this like the Italian Encarta saying that one of their guys invented the telephone before Bell but due to lack of finances, couldn't get it patented and his idea died before Bell got round to doing it.
And then there's the Northerner who invented and demonstrated powered flight back in the 1800's using a small steam engine.

Jerrek
20-09-2003, 04:43
Bell was born in Scotland, but considered himself American later on in life when he invented the telephone. Ironically, the American government recognize a Canadian as the inventor, and the Canadian government recognizes Bell (the American) as the inventor of the telephone.

Xaccers
20-09-2003, 04:48
Scotts seem to invent most things :)

Jerrek
20-09-2003, 04:53
He was American, not Scottish. Just like I am Canadian/American, not <where I was born>.

Atomic22
20-09-2003, 18:53
He was American, not Scottish. Just like I am Canadian/American, not <where I was born>.
born in scotland means hes scottish forever no matter where he lived .
just like mel gibson calling himself a yank when hes australian , ppl seem to cross the pond and the rules go out the window

Steve H
20-09-2003, 19:02
:notopic:

I was under the impression that we were talking about a College freshman who creates a nuclear fusion reactor? :)

Atomic22
20-09-2003, 19:35
part of the thread story was about the bloke that americans reckon invented the tv a year after john logie baird invented it having set down plans for this fusion reactor... so its all relevant and not really off topic just a slight tangent

Maggy
20-09-2003, 21:25
Originally posted by Xaccers
Nah, didn't you hear about the 15 year old boyscout who built a reactor in his shed to try and get his atomic badge?
A university recreated the reactor and found it actually produced uranium (in very small quantities)

I watched a documentary about this boy.It was hilarious watching.The US authorities at the time tried very hard to charge him with some crime but at the time it wasn't actually a crime to built a reactor or to collect radioactive chemicals from smoke alarms and glow in the dark objects.He was amazing.Eventually his shed got taken away for disposal by a whole army of men in protective suits because it was heavily irradiated.His reference was a very old 1930's home experiment book he bought for very little at some boot sale.

I wish I had the privilage to be his teacher.

Incog:D

trebor
20-09-2003, 22:02
trebot that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard. First, the switch is irrelevant. It is the way the television operates.

And, do you know what a relay is?

And I'm not about to change my mind. Philo Farnsworth invented the television. Its the way I was taught, it is the way it is down in history, and it is the way the books I've read has it.

A relay is an electrically operated mechanical switch.
or a team race.

if you show me a tv that has no mechanical parts, I will believe you.

I have read books that say aliens have come to earth, I have read books that say the earth is flat, I have read books that say americans are are way to self important. just because it's in print doesn't make it right.

Maggy
20-09-2003, 23:29
Another thread that has gone completely off topic.
I don't give a stuff which one of you is right at the end of the day.Could you both conduct this arg:argue: err.....discussion in private please?Pretty please

In other words pack the chest thumping in and lets discuss the wonderful achievement of these young people.

Anyone else got any examples of young genius's?

Incog.:)

trebor
21-09-2003, 01:08
yes I have ;)
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbaird.htm

In the 1920's, John Logie Baird and American Clarence W. Hansell patented the idea of using arrays of transparent rods to transmit images for television. The television pioneer created the first televised pictures of objects in motion (1924), the BBC started broadcasting television on the Baird 30-line system in 1929

In 1936, the British Broadcasting Corporation adopted television service using the electronic television technology of Marconi-EMI (the world's first regular high resolution service - 405 lines per picture), it was that technology that won out over Baird's system.

and
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blfarnsworth.htm
In 1927, Philo Farnsworth was the first inventor to transmit a television image comprised of 60 horizontal lines

both fine young inventors :D