PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Chip

Theodoric
16-09-2003, 23:36
A quote from the 'Gadgets never Used' thread:

"deep fat fryer (oven chips instead)"

Well, our household uses oven chips, but I still think that they're an extremely poor form of chip. Now, thinking back to the days when I used to cook real chips, my recollection of the way to make chips that are a delight to eat (golden and crisp on the outside, moist and softish on the inside) is as follows.

1) Take potatoes (OK, you can use pre-washed ones; no need to revert too far back into the past), peel and cut into the desired size of chips.

2) Sprinkle with salt and wrap in a towel for 10-15 minutes to draw out excess water.

3) Pat chips dry.

4) Set temperature of deep fat fryer to (I think) 180C and put chips in. The point is that what you wish to do is to blanche the chips, so they should come out white.

5) Remove chips and pat dry.

6) Increase fat temperature to, I think, 220C (or it may be higher).

7) Put chips back into pan and remove when they turn golden brown and float to the surface.

I may have got some of the details wrong (it's yonks since I last did this), but the general description is correct.

danielf
16-09-2003, 23:41
It is indeed. As far as I can recall, the temperatures are 160 and 180 Celcius (start at 160 then move to 180)

Atomic22
17-09-2003, 19:54
hehehe having never made chips but tasted my ma's made the way you say , your way is the best but....... oven chips may taste like cardboard in comparison but they are less fattening so thats all we have, also they come ready cleaned , peeled and chipped hehehehe , oh and i hate salt
chip shop chips are the best all doused in vinegar preferebly with a keebab chaser

Jerrek
17-09-2003, 21:03
It is called freedom fries! ;)

homealone
17-09-2003, 21:39
Originally posted by Jerrek
It is called freedom fries! ;)

lol Jerrek - did that really catch on? - I figure most people down your way will just call them fries.?

As well as the variations on the cut them, wash them, dry them, par-fry them at 160-170°C, drain them, fry them at 180-190°C until gorgeous method, it is also important to choose the right potato (King Edward or Maris Piper) and not to cut them too thin.

- ok I confess, I got that from a google on "perfect chip".:D - but I do know that if you do deep fry chips, don't use Sunflower Oil! I know, poly-unsaturated is better - but Sunflower Oil polymerises & goes gummy - use corn (Maize) oil, instead, it is nearly as unsaturated as Sunflower Oil, but can stand higher temperatures better, without making your fryer/pan all sticky & a nightmare to clean.

Gaz

Defiant
17-09-2003, 21:46
Pentium 4 lol

homealone
17-09-2003, 21:50
Originally posted by Defiant
Pentium 4 lol

"by enabling remote control of your deep-fat frier, over the Internet, the Pentium 4 processor, enhances your culinary, as well as your workspace experience - bing bong bing-bong":D

Atomic22
18-09-2003, 20:00
right thats enough i need to go to the chippy now , i think i may have curry sauce on my chips hmmmm hmmmmm.
by the way did anyone used to squirt vinegar into their mates eyes in the chippy when they were kids using the pump action vinegar bottles? or were we just nutters?