PDA

View Full Version : I'm only joking!

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 19:20
Because of my current Smilie-less state, I am once again becoming aware of how difficult it is to express nuances of feeling in PC communication. Talking to a stranger and not being able to see his or her face makes it very difficult to use a rapier rather than a bludgeon. Even Smilies are only a very crude substitute for a face to face discussion.

So any helpful hints, people?

homealone
23-06-2003, 19:24
Hi Theodoric

can you see the smilies in other peoples post's (and are they animated?) or is it you just can't use them yourself?

:shrug: :wavey: :smokin: for example?

Gaz

poolking
23-06-2003, 19:29
Theodric I suggest you check all of the settings in your profile. :)

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 19:32
Originally posted by homealone
Hi Theodoric

can you see the smilies in other peoples post's (and are they animated?) or is it you just can't use them yourself?

:shrug: :wavey: :smokin: for example?

Gaz
Yes, I can see them. It's just that at the moment I'm more like Moses and the Promised Land.

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 19:33
Originally posted by poolking
Theodric I suggest you check all of the settings in your profile. :)
I've done that, but I'll give it another go. I suspect that if I ever solve this, it will be serious D'oh! time.

homealone
23-06-2003, 19:43
Originally posted by Theodoric
Yes, I can see them. It's just that at the moment I'm more like Moses and the Promised Land.

O.K. you can see them - are they animating (i.e. does this wavey actually wave at you or stay static:wavey: ) Are you using a firewall?

Gaz

iadom
23-06-2003, 19:47
Can you print a screen shot of what you see when you click on "Post Reply or "Qoute" and was I mentioned in the other thread, do they still work on nthw.com?

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 20:30
Originally posted by iadom
Can you print a screen shot of what you see when you click on "Post Reply or "Qoute" and was I mentioned in the other thread, do they still work on nthw.com?
Yes, they work on nthw.com, which is where I can copy them from.

I've done a screen dump. How do I attach it? I'm trying the 'Attach file' box.

poolking
23-06-2003, 20:33
I think I might know what your problem is

User CP > Edit Options > Other Options > Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?

Is that option set to yes?

Just confirmed it, you must have it set to no, I just tried it and the smilies disappeared.

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 20:38
Originally posted by poolking
I think I might know what your problem is

User CP > Edit Options > Other Options > Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?

Is that option set to yes?

Just confirmed it, you must have it set to no, I just tried it and the smilies disappeared.
Eureka! Thanks! And to Roger K, too. :) :D :wavey: :walk:

I tell you, we didn't have these problems with slide rules and log tables in my young days!

Chimaera
23-06-2003, 20:46
Originally posted by Theodoric
Eureka! Thanks! And to Roger K, too. :) :D :wavey: :walk:

I tell you, we didn't have these problems with slide rules and log tables in my young days!

Yeah, but I bet you didn't have half the fun either, Theodoric! :naughty:

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 20:53
Originally posted by Chimaera
Yeah, but I bet you didn't have half the fun either, Theodoric! :naughty:
I've got to admit that 4-figure log tables were not the most interesting form of reading. For years afterwards I could real off such things as the log of 760 or 273 in my sleep.

And for the bonus prize: why did I have to look up the logs of 760 and 273 so often that they were embedded in my brain?

Steve H
23-06-2003, 21:21
Why is your screenshot Black and White :erm:

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 18:54
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
I'm not sure,; it started out coloured then somewhere along the line it became B&W. I suspect I ticked the wrong box somewhere.

poolking
24-06-2003, 19:13
Originally posted by Steve_NTL

Its retro. :D