PDA

View Full Version : Wirless in-security

j2tts
17-04-2005, 22:16
Ok surfing on me laptop about 3 weeks ago via my own securied wireless network and I thought I would just do a show available networks and to my surprise up popped one called club189. Totally un-secure just bearly registering at a connection of 2 mps. Sooooo I connected to it just out of curiosity, did nothing could'nt view any networked pc's so went back to me own. Since then My laptops been periodically logging onto it. Soooooo I thought I'd go to 192.168.1.1 and see if I could access their router, o wow, yes Im in a Voyager 2100 adsl wireless router. Looked at the DHCP table to see if I could send them a message. I can see a PC called margareta directly connected, but could'nt figure out how to let them know that they are insecure.
Point is without knocking on all me neighbours doors how do I get in touch with these people to secure it. They are even still using the default password for the router :Yikes:. They obviously knew enough to setup it up with a ssd but not to secure it.
What shall I do ?
Secure it for them ?
Is there any network command/message i can send them ?

Raistlin
17-04-2005, 22:21
Not sure about this but..... If you can find out the IP address of the machine could you use netsend to send them a message?

j2tts
17-04-2005, 22:25
Right

Netsend ? Is that a windows program or a dos command?

I tried dos with a netsend/? but came back with nothing

??

Raistlin
17-04-2005, 22:27
like I said, really don't know much about it.

Seem to remember (from the deepest recesses of my mind) that it might be a way of sending messages across a network.....

Anybody else?

altis
17-04-2005, 22:57
On your computer try Start / Find / Computer and then type in the IP address of margareta. If C is shared then drop a suitable text file into c:\windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp - that should grab their attention :Yikes:

Millay
18-04-2005, 00:14
On your computer try Start / Find / Computer and then type in the IP address of margareta. If C is shared then drop a suitable text file into c:\windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp - that should grab their attention :Yikes:

If that doesnt shock them into action, nothing will..

I have a neighbour here who has an unsecured network to.

KingPhoenix
18-04-2005, 00:28
i ended up postin a letter through about 16 neighbours doors cos i couldnt work out which was the network... (unitl i install wififofum on my iPAQ now i know exactly whos it is :D

nffc
18-04-2005, 01:06

Nice idea. Or browse to one of the open shares and dump a load of random sh*te in there.

Robert Atkins
18-04-2005, 05:43
by rotating the laptop and monitoring the signal stength, I could spot the insecure house but I leave in a non-dense area, so I knocked at the correct door

OinkyBoinky
18-04-2005, 07:19
Right

Netsend ? Is that a windows program or a dos command?

I tried dos with a netsend/? but came back with nothing

??

It's Net Send. you need the space between the words. e.g. Net Send * Hello margareta, nice network

j2tts
18-04-2005, 23:27
HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Ok never got round to sending a network message as margarita was offline last night, Sooooooooo I renamed there wireless ssd to OPENTOALL, did the trick. All looks secure now.

They will never know

Never mind

Dib Dib Dob Dob

Thanx guys

Raistlin
18-04-2005, 23:38
Hmmm.....

Not being funny but that might not have been a smart move.

By changing it to what you did you have essentially done three things:

1. You have advertised the fact that it is "Open To All" to anyone else that was able to see it

2. You have potentially caused problems for the owner. If their device was looking for a certain SSID and then couldn't find it it would have been forced to try to log into the new one. IF they were able to do this, depending on how things were set up they may have had an absolute devil of a time getting things reconfigured.

3. I'm also not sure of the legalities of changing the settings in the way you did. I'm sure it will never come to that but it just might cause a problem if they ever decide to persue it.....

Glad it's sorted though. Another security hole fixed and the WWW becomes a slightly safer place. Nice one :tu: