PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

Matthew
17-04-2005, 13:46
Me and a friend who lives over the road to me want to setup a wireless network between our houses. There is a direct line of site between us although his house is on an angle but still there is a line of site.

What equipment do we need? I know were going to need some sort of access point at each end but do not know which one is going to be best. My house will be the main one with the main server but he also wishes to connect it up which is no problem but not sure of what hardware I need. I need something which will be secure, I presume MAC address filtering is the best option but someone correct me on this.

Please let me know which equipment we are going to need so we can purchase it and get it up and running as soon as we can. By the way I am on XP and he is on 98 although looking at upgrading soon as his computer has almost had it.

Thanks.

Chris W
17-04-2005, 14:08
are you using broadband? your profile shows you are on a dial up connection.... if you or your friend have broadband is it adsl or cable?

what is the distance between yours and your friends house?

Robert Atkins
17-04-2005, 14:21
I got a Netgear Super G 802.11a/g XR (XR stands for extended range). It goes 400 meters-- line of sight. The model is WGU624.

802.11a works on 5GHz, so you don't get cooked.

Matthew
17-04-2005, 15:21
Yes I do have dial up but get ADSL around the 18th of May when the exchange gets enabled. The internet is not the main thing but at the minute I have a Belin wiresless ADSL modem router in place serving my home network but eventually we are going to share my network as he only uses it for e-mail so I said he could use mine.

The distance is less than 400 metres corner of house to house and direcy line of site. I will take a look at that Netgear one when I get chance.

Tricky
17-04-2005, 18:10
Remember that the quoted figures are probably in a open space not through walls/windows etc.

handyman
17-04-2005, 18:40
Maybe something like this may help...

linky (http://www.cantenna.com/)

JohnHorb
17-04-2005, 18:43
...but is it any better than the famous 'Pringles' solution?

Robert Atkins
17-04-2005, 19:32
Remember that the quoted figures are probably in a open space not through walls/windows etc.

That's correct, 400m open space, 100 meters through 2-3 double brick walls, 10-20m through stone walls.

Matthew
17-04-2005, 21:49
From the corners of each of our houses it is less than 400 metres and there is nothing in the way and we both have front rooms and can see each other so I do not see why line of site will be a problem.

He runs a small computer business and has taken a look in a few catalogues and has shown me what we think we will need so we are going away to test it now, by the way he has no knowledge of networking, only a basic business supplying pc's and software etc.

gkhewitt
17-04-2005, 23:28
Since you're looking at distances upto 400m, the best thing to do is buy a wireless router and set it up with the broadband, putting it near a window facing the other house.

Then, put an access point (with repeater capability) in the window of the other house. When set to repeater mode, this will enable wireless connectivity straight back to the router of the other house

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1571601

has a few bits of suggested equipment

zoombini
18-04-2005, 08:56
Just a minor little point.

Isn't it against the terms of your ISP's T&C's for you to share your ADSL connection with another party? :D

There are several UK suppliers that can supply you antennas that can be fitted outside & pointing towards each other to give you the good connection, also the necessary bits to connect them into the network.

zovat
18-04-2005, 09:29
Just a minor little point.

Isn't it against the terms of your ISP's T&C's for you to share your ADSL connection with another party? :D

There are several UK suppliers that can supply you antennas that can be fitted outside & pointing towards each other to give you the good connection, also the necessary bits to connect them into the network.

Depends on how you look at it - most make it illegal to re-sell your connection, and limit the number of devices that can connect to the Broadband at any one time.

We often have friends round who use our connection whilst they are here, but I see no problem with this because we are not charging them for its use.

as ever, just my opinion :angel:

zoombini
18-04-2005, 11:21
"they" will be a buisness & the ISP would want to charge buisness rates as that changes the use.

But what the heck, only when the ISP finds out :D

Matthew
18-04-2005, 21:32
I doubt my ISP will find out but we I am only charging for the equipment not the connection and we have both aggreed on that.

I have seen some product of what I can use and spoken to my network bloke at school and he advised me what I need so we are just going to run a few checks after borrowing some equipment and we should be live in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help.