PDA

View Full Version : No connectivity!!!!! help

Croker
17-04-2005, 14:40
No connectivity!!!!! help

BBand connection - 2meg. A bloke came and installed a new digibox in another room in the house and since then I have had no data light on the cable modem. Computers on the windows taskbar are ok but no packets seem to be being transferred. I cannot ping or traceroute. The tv in my room looks a bit dodgy also and is stuck on 'we are updating your service' etc - this might not be an issue mind you as it sometimes takes a proverbial month of sundays to sort itself out. I have tried all the things like cold rebooting the cable modem and the router it feeds into and reseated all the cables etc but still no joy.

Whats the cable modem support number again? (am posting this in a friends house)

JohnHorb
17-04-2005, 14:44
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=9

Croker
17-04-2005, 22:23
Thanks for that. Will ring them in the morning. I am growing increasingly irritated by ntl service. Rarely a week goes by when I don't have to tinker around with either the internet or the TV to get it to work. I am sick of dealing with a shoddy third rate company that considers outsourcing all its work to the likes of avondale. I am on call most of the time and having to let an "engineer" in to sort out their mess is a major hassle and irritation.

:mad:

Croker
20-04-2005, 01:36
re infoupdate:

so I phone again this morning after being told
"it was a known local problem which was being worked
on" he told me he had 'escalated' it and to 'try it
later in the day - preferably the evening' (sound
familiar?)

Tried it today - nothing - phoned up again - there are
no problems that could be affecting it locally, I was
told

so they are sending an engineer thursday 5 till 8 pm

edit: you can bypass the 0845 number and sidestep the joys of having to pay to wait to talk to ntl by phoning the 0800 number and reporting a fault to the girls in belfast who are reasonably competant

the bloke I talked to was a completed blagger and I will post a reference number relating to his blag if neccessary. If any responsible ntl employees remain, and I very much doubt it, PM me and I will drop the guy in it - and present signed afadafids in court etc

tho I won't hold my breath

Chris W
20-04-2005, 01:39
update:

so I phone again this morning after being told
"it was a known local problem which was being worked
on" he told me he had 'escalated' it and to 'try it
later in the day - preferably the evening' (sound
familiar?)

Tried it today - nothing - phoned up again - there are
no problems that could be affecting it locally, I was
told

so they are sending an engineer thursday 5 till 8 pm

it may have been that there was an area problem which was masking your individual issue.... this needed to clear before your problem could be seen as seperate.

Also, the appointment slot doesn't sound quite right to me... what area do you live in?

Croker
20-04-2005, 01:44
my beef was this.
as far as I know all the catv cable is the same - internet or tv

three tvs were working fine in other areas of the house

but my room was not - as was my lack of pingness etc

i have the node numbers and everything

as for the location

yeah - roath park in cardiff south wales

CAH5000 alfred st & alban cah5r 452 534
cah5063 bangor st/ninian 534 534

Chris W
20-04-2005, 02:03
ah ok then the appointment time is probably right then :)

It could have been a return path issue... this would not have affected the TV much, but would have killed the broadband connection.... i'm just speculating though so meh

Croker
20-04-2005, 11:15
will let you know how it turns out

bit of a pain really - but worse things happen at sea I suppose

(I forgot to mention that the 'cable' light on the modem was out too - have checked all the cables etc - rebooted and it worked for a second but then nothing etc)

Basisboy
20-04-2005, 14:29
Since yesterday my broadband has stopped working... The connection light on the Samsung STB is flickering as if connection problem.

An engineer is scheduled to be around on Thursday :(

We had a thundering and lightening session on Tuesday afternoon and since then it stopped working.... perhaps something to do with that? But the TV and telephone etc., are fine.

I wondered if anyone else on the Wirral had experienced problems or if indeed the stb modem had failed.

Cheers

Croker
21-04-2005, 12:02
Since yesterday my broadband has stopped working... The connection light on the Samsung STB is flickering as if connection problem.

An engineer is scheduled to be around on Thursday :(

We had a thundering and lightening session on Tuesday afternoon and since then it stopped working.... perhaps something to do with that? But the TV and telephone etc., are fine.

I wondered if anyone else on the Wirral had experienced problems or if indeed the stb modem had failed.

Cheers

Have you checked for any dodgy ntl subcontractors installing digiboxes in other rooms ;)

Croker
21-04-2005, 17:41
Update:

Resolved now! Back online

The ntl guy who fitted the new digibox did disconnect me in the process :dunce: