PDA

View Full Version : Health and Fitness gym

Caspar
15-04-2005, 14:40
I'm thinking of moving gyms, from one near home to one near (very, but not walking) work. In aid to motivate me to go before work and possibly swim during lunch....

..but looking at it from a money perspective, like the wife will!....I want to gauge how much you peeps pay... The current gym is £35 pm (full membership, no time restrictions), but no swimming pool..the new place is £60 (full) and £51 off peak (6.30am - 4.30pm), with a 25M length pool So I'm wondering, from a financial point of view..is it worth it...compared to other places. The new one is Holmes Place in Didsbury, Manchester.

orangebird
15-04-2005, 14:57
I'm thinking of moving gyms, from one near home to one near (very, but not walking) work. In aid to motivate me to go before work and possibly swim during lunch....

..but looking at it from a money perspective, like the wife will!....I want to gauge how much you peeps pay... The current gym is £35 pm (full membership, no time restrictions), but no swimming pool..the new place is £60 (full) and £51 off peak (6.30am - 4.30pm), with a 25M length pool So I'm wondering, from a financial point of view..is it worth it...compared to other places. The new one is Holmes Place in Didsbury, Manchester.

My gym (Canons) is £53 a month, unrestricted. I think it's worth it, especially if you can get the new gym to waiver the joining fee... Canons wanted £150(!! !!!). Naturally, I talked them out of it. And if you really believe that you'll go more often if it's nearer work (and of course, you can afford £60 a month), I say go for it. I think £60 for the area it's is not too bad :tu:

bopdude
15-04-2005, 15:06
Sounds to me like an expensive swim, £25.00 a month for a pool :nono: stick where you are and find a pool close by, IMO that is :tu:

Stuart
15-04-2005, 15:24
My local council has some excellent leisure centres. The Spa in Beckenham (the best, and the one I use), The Pavillion @ The Glades in Bromley, The Walnuts and West Wickham Pools. They charge £34.99 a month for full access to all four centres. The only council run centre not covered is the National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace.

Excellent value.. Not much help to you though Cas!

It might be worth you investigating the facilities operated by the local councils. They may not look as nice, but they will probably be cheaper.

Although none of my local centres are near work, the Beckenham one is actually on my way home, so I tend to drop in on my way home.

Russ
15-04-2005, 15:33

£35 per month?? :eek:

£60 per month?? :eek:

I'd never pay that kind of amount really - my DD is £24 per month and I get gull gym facilities plus the large pool too, as well as free admission to any of the martial art classes, keep-fit classes etc.

orangebird
15-04-2005, 15:34

I'd never pay that kind of amount really - my DD is £24 per month and I get gull gym facilities plus the large pool too, as well as free admission to any of the martial art classes, keep-fit classes etc.

Where do you live Russ?

Caspar
15-04-2005, 15:46
My gym (Canons) is £53 a month, unrestricted. I think it's worth it, especially if you can get the new gym to waiver the joining fee... Canons wanted £150(!! !!!). Naturally, I talked them out of it. And if you really believe that you'll go more often if it's nearer work (and of course, you can afford £60 a month), I say go for it. I think £60 for the area it's is not too bad :tu:

Holms Place want £49 joining fee....reduced from £129 (sales ploy)... if I decide to go I'll try and avoid that...

Sounds to me like an expensive swim, £25.00 a month for a pool :nono: stick where you are and find a pool close by, IMO that is :tu:
Unless someone knows of a decent people in Warrington...I'm stuck...afaik..there are no decent pools in the Warrington area :(

It might be worth you investigating the facilities operated by the local councils. They may not look as nice, but they will probably be cheaper.
Already have, see above....cheap council only sets up centres without pools :(

Russ
15-04-2005, 15:48
Where do you live Russ?

Port Talbot.

orangebird
15-04-2005, 15:59
Port Talbot.

Well, assuming your gym is in Port Talbot, that will account for the price difference. Things like gym fees are relative to the area, like the price of houses. Didsbury is damn expensive. Lovely though.

Caspar
15-04-2005, 16:00

Sounds ideal...can I move in with you! :D

..seriously tho, it's facilities driven...I'd rather pay the money and try and keep fit...rather than flab out at home...whinging about the costs :( :)

Well, assuming your gym is in Port Talbot, that will account for the price difference. Things like gym fees are relative to the area, like the price of houses. Didsbury is damn expensive. Lovely though.
I wouldn't fo as far as saying Didsbury is a nice place...the main areas are a complete dump... :(..and very near to Manc council estates :(

Russ
15-04-2005, 16:04
Sounds ideal...can I move in with you! :D

..seriously tho, it's facilities driven...I'd rather pay the money and try and keep fit...rather than flab out at home...whinging about the costs :( :)

The facilities in the Aquadome are ossum!!

Caspar
15-04-2005, 16:15
The facilities in the Aquadome are ossum!!
:) I meant the local facilities to where we live..... There are no leasure centres in my area that provide a pool, other than Fitness First and other expensive gyms...there are no council swimming pools :(

So not much choice, I have to spend the money otherwise I'd end up like KP! ;)

etccarmageddon
15-04-2005, 16:20
http://www.totalfitness.co.uk/centre_select.htm

altrincham and handforth dean - her indoors was paying £40 a month - pool included and if 2 join then it's £35 each (I think).

and there's one in warrington for you!

Caspar
15-04-2005, 16:26
http://www.totalfitness.co.uk/centre_select.htm

altrincham and handforth dean - her indoors was paying £40 a month - pool included and if 2 join then it's £35 each (I think).

and there's one in warrington for you!
Yeah, I know where that is....near the Wazza's Wolves ground :)....but they wanted a small fortune too....and is only a pool better than my existing gym...but further away and £15-£20pm more :(

However, the one in Wilmslow...sounds good...where I work is on their map...so must be close...
http://www.totalfitness.co.uk/contacts/location_maps/wilmslow_map.htm

Not sure where it is...but looking at it...looks like it's near that £60 gym I mentioned... (near the listed Tescos)

bb31
15-04-2005, 16:41
What about the village in cheadle - thats not too far from didsbury. My membership was £41.00 per month all in, but unfortunately ive been a lazy pig recently and stopped the direct debit too.......

Must do some exercise soon!!

Caspar
15-04-2005, 16:52
What about the village in cheadle - thats not too far from didsbury. My membership was £41.00 per month all in, but unfortunately ive been a lazy pig recently and stopped the direct debit too.......

Must do some exercise soon!!
I work in the centre of Cheadle Village ;) ...where is there somewhere here? :drool: ....saying that Didsbury (Holms Place) is litterly only a 3 minutes drive!...

etccarmageddon
15-04-2005, 16:58
last time I went to the village in cheadle it didnt have a pool. it's not far from cheadle centre. personally I'd go for total fitness as it has better parking for a start. it's opposite tesco in handforth dean - there's a roundabout where you go right for tesco or left for total fitness - on the A34 (watch out for the speed cameras on the A34).

the village in cheadle is around about where the arrow is.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=385847&y=388050&z=1&sv=385750,388250&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

bb31
15-04-2005, 17:17
Sorry......i assumed all the villages had a pool. My membership was at dukinfield, always fancied a trip to the cheadle one for a change glad i didnt now. (its opposite bruntwood park if u get lost)

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2005, 17:34
I too am gym hunting at the mo, having just been declared obese and unfit by the quack doing a medical for scuba diving (even said she would only allow me a temporary certificate and would not give me another if I didn't get my act together :( ).

I was a member of a gym only at £40.00 per month. I really want a pool too though. A place in nearby Chertsey can do the for £49.00 inc peak use, special ofer joining at £50.00. The Holmes Place, Cannons, Pinnacle and Lloyds clubs are the premier brands, you pay in part for the name. And then there's the stupendously priced health spas :eek:

The main issue though is accessibility, depends what is nearby. Too far away, you wont use it.

Our council only has some cheap and chearful gyms attached to schools, no pools. If you spend 1/2 hour and loads of fuel to go to the nearest full public facility you might as well have saved and paid for the private club.

Graham
15-04-2005, 18:16
Whichever gym you go for, check the details of the application very carefully as there have been a lot of stories of people trying to cancel memberships only to discover that they've committed to a 12 month contract and have to pay the full amount even if they don't go!

Caspar
15-04-2005, 18:58
Yep, it's a 12months contract

etccarmageddon
15-04-2005, 21:27
I was a member of the village back in around 1990! I remember joining after they told us a pool was planned - after a couple of years I cancelled my membership due to there being no pool amongst other things. They also told me I could just the card at any of their centres - so we took a trip to bromborough to try out their pool - an hours drive only to get their and find them demanding a 'surcharge' to use the facilities as "this centre has a pool unlike the centre where you joined".

it was in the region of £25 a month - if was a long time ago so it probably means nothing when I say I wouldnt recommend it.

her indoors liked the total fitness in handforth dean - the staff are friendly and polite and it has an amazing setup. huge gym and a large pool and loads of parking. i recommend you take a look.

they also are doing an offer (limited) where you can sign up to try it for a week for £7. we got a mailshot last week inviting us.

I would have joined but the opening hours are no good for me - make sure the hours are suitable before signing up as I think they have early closing on fri nights and weekends.

virtual-angel
15-04-2005, 23:19
Why dont you see if theres a JJB fitness club near you. I pay 35 a month for unlimited access to a gym, pool jacuzzi, sauna steam room and all the classes like aerobics and stuff.

Kliro
16-04-2005, 00:03
I've got a mate who goes to holmes place in Didsbury, it is indeed in a dumpy sort of place (parrs wood)
But the gym is really good I've been in there on one of his guest passes, got a nice sized pool, jacuzzi, steam room etc He finds everyone to be freindly there.
Maybe the price increase would be more of an incentive aswell!

etccarmageddon
16-04-2005, 00:10
the parking can be bad at parrs wood - expecially in the evenings and when a movie has just finished.

SMHarman
18-04-2005, 12:25
I would take a look at a realistic plan of how often you would go as part of this decision and look at alternate paid for swiimming venues.

This will add £25 a month to your bill - Will you go swimming more than once a week - are there alternate pool only venues and how much is walk up uses, pass use or do they do discount books of tickets (a pool nr me does a book of 10 for the price of 8 walkup tickets.

Also compared to other activities swimming is a bit wet and messy for lunchtimes so you might find you are just using the gym bit. Finally is this near Mrs C's work / can you both use it as joint Cannons membership is £100 a month £50 each, you can drag each others sorry asses there at the weekend and she can make full use of the Retreat.

I found with a gym with pool near work I rarely used the pool and spent far too much money on it. My new job has a gym in the building - excellent - been too busy / sick to use it though :(

BTW 0 are those off peak times right - the last HP I used OP was 9-12 and 2-5 and 8-10 or something like that e.g. OP excluded lunch use.

Yep, it's a 12months contractCheck again - I thought all the majors had moved to monthly contracts as part of the OFT investigation - I know cannons has*

*but if you take advantage of their annual 12 for 11 months offer and cancel you get no refund for the unused months.