PDA

View Full Version : TV rental

SOSAGES
15-04-2005, 12:14
Afternoon all,

Moving house soon and my small TV i use in my room will look a bit silly in my front room, while i have a million more important things to be spending money on a TV isnt a cheap thing i should just rush out and buy.

I looked at buying them but i cant see the point as the technology moves to quick and id be selfish and want a sexy 32"+lcd (no plasma) with HDTV support. As this isnt going to happen any time soon as food insurance paint and other house things need to be purchased i was looking at renting a TV, Anyone have any good or bad experience with this? im probably after a 32" widescreen normal TV for now 2 scart sockets if possible no need for dvd/vcr.

Prices seemed reasonable but i was thinking of getting a second rental one hopefully that will be cheaper, im not fussed if its not shiney and new.

Anyone recomend any good companies? i was looking at Lakes and Forbes direct.

Thanks

orangebird
15-04-2005, 12:23
This (http://www.anything-direct.com/rentals/default.htm) website compares rental companies around the country (including Forbes). HTH. :)

Halcyon
15-04-2005, 12:52
I knew a friend who used to rent a TV.
After about a year, the price he paid renting he could have probably got his own for the same amount.

Bex
15-04-2005, 12:56
I knew a friend who used to rent a TV.
After about a year, the price he paid renting he could have probably got his own for the same amount.

my dad rents our tv (that's in the living room) from forbes and it is a case that you feel you could have bought a decent tv after a while

purenuman
15-04-2005, 13:09
My mate rents his TV and has done for the last 7-8 years.

In this time he has upgraded his TV a couple of times and the price has gone up several times.

I don't rent and in the same period of time I have bought and paid for 4 TVs of a better spec and quality than his. I have paid out less than he has and have upgraded more often than he has with the extra benefit of still owning the sets I've moved up from.

He is still paying..............

Roy MM
15-04-2005, 13:14
Worth buying these days, TVs are a lot more reliable nowadays, had my Philips 5 yrs and it has never had a repair.

ian@huth
15-04-2005, 13:40
Looking at the Forbes site a 32" LCD TV can cost you £19 per week in rental. The same set can be bought for under £1400 and paid for with a personal loan over 2 years at not much more than £15 per week and that is without doing any searching for a cheaper loan. Makes sense to buy as it works out cheaper and if you rent you can end up not bothering to cancel and paying for years.

SOSAGES
15-04-2005, 14:36
probably my best bet would be to get a second hand one - as it losses value as soon as i walk out the shop with it :(

thanks guys

scrotnig
15-04-2005, 14:51
Looking at the Forbes site a 32" LCD TV can cost you £19 per week in rental. The same set can be bought for under £1400 and paid for with a personal loan over 2 years at not much more than £15 per week and that is without doing any searching for a cheaper loan. Makes sense to buy as it works out cheaper and if you rent you can end up not bothering to cancel and paying for years.
Fine if you can get a personal loan. Many cannot. One late mortgage or bill payment these days and you have a record worse than a rapist.

danielf
15-04-2005, 14:54
Fine if you can get a personal loan. Many cannot. One late mortgage or bill payment these days and you have a record worse than a rapist.

For people who cannot get a loan it might be wise to not consider getting a 32" lcd tele.

Mal
15-04-2005, 14:59
Worth buying these days, TVs are a lot more reliable nowadays, had my Philips 5 yrs and it has never had a repair.
That was one of the benefits of renting, that you could get the repairman out free of charge.

My parents used to rent, but last year they realised that they had, had their tv for years without any problems, so they decided to buy a tv and save the money.

Russ
15-04-2005, 15:14
Whatever you do, avoid the 'coin operated' cowboys where you pay for 4 hours' viewing by putting £1 in the slot. You end up paying WAY over the odds. Only consider them if you are faced with no other option.