PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for ya limeys

Jerrek
16-09-2003, 05:25
Flying is one of my hobbies. I was just wondering though. In Canada we pretty much share the same regulations as the United States except a few minor things. I don't know if anyone here would be able to answer me, but,

Can I fly with my Canadian pilot's license in Britain? (I can fly in the United States)

Canadian and American airspace is divided up into seven classes (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G). Is this the same in Britain?

More important, do you guys use FEET when measuring altitude? Meters would confuse the hell out of me. I mean, what is your cruising altitude?

Cruising altitude... In Canada if you're flying without instruments and below 12,000 feet ASL, your cruising altitude is ODD thousands + 500 feet (3,500, 5,500, et.) for headings 0 degrees to 179 degrees, and EVEN thousands + 500 feet for headings 180 to 359 degrees. Is there a similar rule?

What about radio frequences? Is 121.5 MHz the distress channel? Is 119.7 MHz air traffic control?

Do you fly on the left side or the right side? :p

Hopefully this made sense to someone... I'm just rather curious how things work in Europe.

Russ
16-09-2003, 07:26
Limeys?

And yes we use feet :)

Chris
16-09-2003, 09:19
British amateur pilots have often trained in the US because it's so much cheaper than learning here. But if you get your private pilot's licence in the US you have to get it 'converted' before it can be used here. There may be a short refresher course and test, I'm not sure exactly. I am pretty sure you can't just come over here and get in a plane.

As for which side of the sky we fly on ... I imagine it's like navigation, even on our canals when there's no chance of passing a foreign ship we drive on the right, so I expect the rules of the sky must be the same wherever in the world you go.

Chris
16-09-2003, 09:20
Originally posted by Russ D
Limeys?

Americans have always been jealous that we're healthier than them ;)

MrSums
16-09-2003, 13:20
My knowledge is hazy on this, but I think you could fly "N" registered aircraft (ie US), but not a British registered one. I think you would need to have your license validated in UK to fly UK registered (ie hired) aircraft. Check out CAA web-site (http://www.caa.co.uk/).

Airspace is classified similarly, but I bet there are a couple of oddities, just to keep you on your toes.

Height is measured in Feet, speed in knots, distance in miles, nautical miles or kilometres. Take your pick.

Quadrantal rule applies above 3,000 ft (transitional altitude = set 1013mb).

121.5 mHz distress freq is universal. You are in for a shock when you realise how cluttered our airspace is compared to Canada. My home base lies under the Heathrow TMA and I need about 4 different frequecies just to get 20 miles away. You'll have to look them up each time you fly.

Take a look at this site (http://www.alioth.net/flying/flyinguk/usukprep.html) for some other helpful hints.

Hope you have a great time - call us anything you like, so long as its in time for dinner !!

MrSums

ps we fly on the left of course. Only Heli pilots fly on the right.

zoombini
16-09-2003, 16:38
As well as using "feet" when flying, we also prefer to use "wings" too.

Bifta
16-09-2003, 16:56
Originally posted by towny
Americans have always been jealous that we're healthier than them ;)

I think he's Canadian (which is far FAR worse than being from the USA)

Chris
16-09-2003, 17:03
Originally posted by Bifta
I think he's Canadian (which is far FAR worse than being from the USA)

American but living in Canada, I thought ....

Defiant
16-09-2003, 17:15
What is the slang word for Canadians? I know southpark just give's them funny split heads lol

Jerrek
16-09-2003, 17:22
Canuck. I'm a Yank and a Canuck.