PDA

View Full Version : Red Eyes

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 09:06
Is it just me or does anyone else get it? :tired:
When on PC playing games only, my eyes go very red not really sore just very red. I also work with PC, and after a days work they are not red its just when I'm gaming on the PC.
Do I need to worry?
Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
My Mrs is worried I may go blind. I think its no problem is it?

TIA

paulyoung666
13-04-2005, 09:12
do you usually play online in a darkened room , it could be enough to make a difference :erm:

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 09:19
do you usually play online in a darkened room , it could be enough to make a difference :erm:

No lights are on. I guess it beacuse I dont blink enougth but its hard to think blink when your in a game.

I might start wearing shades :cool: But it will make my screen dark. And i would look silly not that anyone would see me. :dozey:

Just thinking long tearm will it make my eye sight really bad? I want to be able to see my kids when I have some:disturbd:

Richard M
13-04-2005, 09:24
Might be an idea to raise that refresh rate above the default 60Hz. ;)

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 09:33
Might be an idea to raise that refresh rate above the default 60Hz. ;)

Nice 1 how do I do that? On the game itself or control panel?

I'd rep you but need to spread. :( Can somone rep the man?

Richard M
13-04-2005, 09:39
Are you running an ATI card, with Windows XP?
If so, go into the driver control panel (right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced) then click on Displays.
Click on the button above the monitor then use the refresh rate override but don't set it too high - maybe 75Hz at first, or "same as desktop".

Stuart
13-04-2005, 09:40
As Richard says, update your refresh rate . Also (and I know this is difficult within games), make sure you look away from the screen every 10 to 15 minutes. This is to force your eyes to focus on something else, and may actually help reduce inflammation. Also, you should play in a well lit room (particulary if you are tired and/or susceptible to epilepsy), but if possible, make sure the light does not cause a glare on your monitor.

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 09:44
Thanks guys. :angel:

Will try that tonight Richard. :tu:

dilli-theclaw
13-04-2005, 09:46
I used to get pretty bad eyes / headaches when I played my games on a crt monitor.

Since changnig to tft I don't

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 09:49
tft?

Whats that. My monitor is a cheap flat screen from PC world.

dilli-theclaw
13-04-2005, 09:52
tft?

tft = thin film transistor...... or flat screen one :)

I hope you manage to sort it out. Eye strain is a bitch.

Richard M
13-04-2005, 10:45
tft?

OK, forget the refresh rate thing then - they are supposed to run at 60Hz.
Maybe lay off the skunk instead? :D

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 10:49
OK, forget the refresh rate thing then - they are supposed to run at 60Hz.
Maybe lay off the skunk instead? :D

Well between you and me i'm trying to quit its been 2 weeks now and going well.
Mrs will not have me being :dozey: anymore.
As we may have a baby soon.............

Halcyon
13-04-2005, 10:55
The quality should actually be better on a CRT and as has already been said try to set your refresh rate to above 75 if possible.

When using your PC you should not be in total darkness. Have some other small light on in the background. It stresses your eyes too much otherwise.

gary_580
13-04-2005, 12:15
When on PC playing games only, my eyes go very red not really sore just very red. I also work with PC, and after a days work they are not red its just when I'm gaming on the PC.
Do I need to worry?

TIA

if you stop visiting those sites your eyesight might be saved ;)

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 12:26
if you stop visiting those sites your eyesight might be saved ;)

I hope your not thinking what I'm thinking there?

gary_580
13-04-2005, 12:31
only one way to find out. Do tell ;)

STONEISLAND
13-04-2005, 12:33
only one way to find out. Do tell ;)

No i'm not spanking the :monkey: monkery :dozey: if thats what you mean :rolleyes:

:D

Salu
13-04-2005, 12:41
Red eyes can be a sign of dry eyes. Spending long times on PCs are known to cause dry, red eyes as when observed patients were seen to decrease the amount of times that they blinked. When you blink you gently squeeze lubricated tears from your tear glands so I would suspect that this is what is happening. Especially if you are a regular gamer. The problem will return quicker if you have had it before as opposed to someone who has never gamed spending 10 hours solid on a game...

You can buy gel tears over the counter at your local pharmacy that will help treat the dryness....

I am beginning to think I should have a clinic thread on this site!!

:)

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2005, 15:14
Also make sure there is as little relection off the screen as possible - i realise you have a TFT as opposed to a normal monitor but you never know.

Also you say you got a cheap TFT from Dell, one of the problems with cheap TFT's is that the response time is often poor (the time it takes the pixels on your TFT to display the correct color), this can cause blurring and ghosting on your display - especially when playing games - and hence make it difficult for your eyes to focus correctly when your moving about. You could try enabling VSync on your drivers for your GFX card (also in some games), it may help, as it will keep the game locked at the maximum frame rate the monitor can handle (60hz = 60 Frames per second i belive) it MAY help - but dont count on it.

You will find this option under custom settings in you Direct3D and OpenGl tabs in your driver control panel.

You might need to get a new monitor if they are that bad.

Ramrod
13-04-2005, 15:27
I used to get pretty bad eyes / headaches when I played my games on a crt monitor.

Since changnig to tft I don't
Yep, loads better since getting a TFT :tu: :)

xcdtowg
13-04-2005, 17:37
Yep, I agree with the eye drops, I get dry red eyes every now and again. esp. after spending a lot of time on the pc. I just go to boots and buy some drops and it makes them feel a lot better. :)

paulyoung666
13-04-2005, 17:39
Yep, I agree with the eye drops, I get dry red eyes every now and again. esp. after spending a lot of time on the pc. I just go to boots and buy some drops and it makes them feel a lot better. :)

you should really be treating the cause not the symptons though :tu:

gary_580
13-04-2005, 17:40
you should really be treating the cause not the symptons though :tu:

yeahhh, put the monkey away :D

aliferste
13-04-2005, 20:03
skunk4u, some questions..

Do you get feelings of intense hunger (the munchies) along with your red eyes?....feelings of paranoia perhaps??? Do you feel "sucked in" to your computer game?

Your choice of name is skunk4u but is the whole red eye a problem around you for skunk??

:devsmoke:

homealone
13-04-2005, 20:14

Do you get feelings of intense hunger (the munchies) along with your red eyes?....feelings of paranoia perhaps??? Do you feel "sucked in" to your computer game?

Your choice of name is skunk4u but is the whole red eye a problem around you for skunk??

hmm, given the sensi-bilities, it is probably better for him to keep his own counsel on that ;)

anyway, i thought he said he had turned over a new leaf? :)

Shaun
13-04-2005, 21:06
hmm, given the sensi-bilities, it is probably better for him to keep his own counsel on that ;)

Very droll sir, very droll :D

STONEISLAND
14-04-2005, 08:55

As my post above says Mrs will not allow me to be stoned anymore so its been about 2 weeks since I last smoked and intend to give up. Baby may be on way so time to grow up.

Do you get feelings of intense hunger (the munchies) use to yes :dozey: along with your red eyes?....feelings of paranoia perhaps??? No never :confused: Do you feel "sucked in" to your computer game? Yes :D

Your choice of name is skunk4u but is the whole red eye a problem around you for skunk?? And know I dont smoke I still have red eye :(

Maggy
14-04-2005, 15:19
Do I need to worry?

TIA

Have you thought about having a catnap after work.It could be that you need to rest your eyes before getting straight onto the PC. :erm:

Stuart
14-04-2005, 18:06
skunk4u, you know what actually causes it... All those "girls you lust over"... :D