PDA

View Full Version : Please help i need some inspiring words- i need nicotine!!

Pia
12-04-2005, 21:35
Hello everyone.
I stopped smoking yesterday and am finding it hard but i am going to keep on with this, after being a 'full time' smoker for the last 8 years!!
Also i really don't want to put any weight on so am targeting cutting down on junk food at the same time........... risky but i'm gonna do it!!
Please can anyone help me with some inspirational words or perhaps even your own stories? Anything will be appreciated!

Thanks Pia,x
:smokin: << :devsmoke:

gooner4life
12-04-2005, 21:38
Giving up is for quitters!

Damien
12-04-2005, 21:46
After 10 years any effects of smoking on your lungs will no longer appear! Much less at your age. Stopping smoking is one of the biggest things you can do to improve your health.

My dads smoked for 40 years and stopped a few months ago and he still hasnt smoked. He is feeling much better than he used to, he didnt even relise that he felt bad until he stopped and relised how much better he got

homealone
12-04-2005, 21:56
Hello everyone.
I stopped smoking yesterday and am finding it hard but i am going to keep on with this, after being a 'full time' smoker for the last 8 years!!
Also i really don't want to put any weight on so am targeting cutting down on junk food at the same time........... risky but i'm gonna do it!!
Please can anyone help me with some inspirational words or perhaps even your own stories? Anything will be appreciated!

Thanks Pia,x

hi Pia

- the best advice I ever had was, that it is nicotine addiction that causes smoking. Of course you have to smoke, to find that out, but once addicted, that is the biggest reason you do it.

- going 'cold turkey' breaks the addiction in about 3 days.

After that, you have to 'get out of the habit' - and that can be the hardest part.

That first fag with a cuppa in the morning ...

After fish & chips ...

After :blush: don't go there ....

and the worst - out with a crowd & they are all smoking ( beg, you know you will ;) )

- I have honestly lapsed twice since last August, the worst a recent meeting with members of this forum, which I can't deny :angel: (I owe you a packet of Rothmans - you know who you are ;) )

Go for it :tu:

After 10 years any effects of smoking on your lungs will no longer appear! Much less at your age. Stopping smoking is one of the biggest things you can do to improve your health.

My dads smoked for 40 years and stopped a few months ago and he still hasnt smoked. He is feeling much better than he used to, he didnt even relise that he felt bad until he stopped and relised how much better he got

hopefully you never smoked because you were so disgusted at your dad - well that is what my son thought of me, lol - and he has never smoked (he is 21) - sometimes you have to make sacrifices ;)

kronas
12-04-2005, 21:59
Hello everyone.

Thanks Pia,x

hi, :) im not a smoker and never have been but i can recommend that you atleast try and use another form of inspiration such as chocolate or sweets as a substitute for your cravings, also using nicotine patches will not cure you as the cravings are for the nictine itself you dont want to be hooked on them do you!

also you might or might not want to see these:

warning graphic images if you are easily offended or are eating DO NOT click

http://www.mintsnuff.com/gamblingwithyourhealth.htm

hoggyspuds
12-04-2005, 22:32
[QUOTE=kronas]hi, :) also using nicotine patches will not cure you as the cravings are for the nictine itself you dont want to be hooked on them do you!

I have smoked for half my life. decided to give up cos i finally realised what a prat i was smoking. I am using the patches.....day 26, and i can honestly say i don't miss the ciggies. I have had days with no patch as well....forgot to put it on!! (that's us irish for you!).

Inspiring words needed? My 6 year old daughter saw me putting a patch on. She said does that mean dad that you're gonna stop smoking and not die of cancer?......enough said.

homealone
12-04-2005, 22:47
hi, :) im not a smoker and never have been but i can recommend that you atleast try and use another form of inspiration such as chocolate or sweets as a substitute for your cravings, also using nicotine patches will not cure you as the cravings are for the nictine itself you dont want to be hooked on them do you!

also you might or might not want to see these:

warning graphic images if you are easily offended or are eating DO NOT click

http://www.mintsnuff.com/gamblingwithyourhealth.htm

well Pia said avoiding putting on weight was important , so chocolate & sweets may be well intentioned but, not appropriate... lol, ( I have put on weight :) )

thanks for the warning :Yikes:

[QUOTE=kronas]hi, :) also using nicotine patches will not cure you as the cravings are for the nictine itself you dont want to be hooked on them do you!

I have smoked for half my life. decided to give up cos i finally realised what a prat i was smoking. I am using the patches.....day 26, and i can honestly say i don't miss the ciggies. I have had days with no patch as well....forgot to put it on!! (that's us irish for you!).

Inspiring words needed? My 6 year old daughter saw me putting a patch on. She said does that mean dad that you're gonna stop smoking and not die of cancer?......enough said.

says it all, that, doesn't it.

- sounds like you have the 'habit' under control, you just have to ditch the patches, now, and you are done :tu:

Pia
12-04-2005, 22:50
Hi everyone thanks for your inspiration so far......... it really is hard, especially after a meal and certain other times when it would be habit that i light up! I don't want to use patches i am determined to do this cold turkey. I have gone through a good 3 packets of chewing gum this last 36 hours!! Keep them coming it helps me carry on!! Thank you.x

goldoni
12-04-2005, 22:52
I gave up on Good Friday and have not smoked a cigarette since. I have elected to do it the hard way without patches etc, but I have been placing £5.00 a day since then in a glass jar and if my workings are correct I now have £90.00 in cash that has not gone-up in smoke. :tu:

The hardest part in just after breakfast and my brain wants a fag, but I look at the jar of money. :D

I feel much better in myself for not smoking and not wasting £5.00 a day

Best of luck :tu: :tu: :tu:

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 22:54
Change your diet at the same time as you stop smoking. Cut out sweets, chocolate, crisps and the frying pan. Eat plenty of fruit and veg and drink plenty of water. Concentrate mostly on sticking to the diet and it makes it easier to forget the ciggies. Improved diet and no ciggies will make everything taste much better and you will soon feel all the better for doing it.

hoggyspuds
12-04-2005, 22:56
I gave up on Good Friday and have not smoked a cigarette since. I have elected to do it the hard way without patches etc, but I have been placing £5.00 a day since then in a glass jar and if my workings are correct I now have £90.00 in cash that has not gone-up in smoke. :tu:

The hardest part in just after breakfast and my brain wants a fag, but I look at the jar of money. :D

I feel much better in myself for not smoking and not wasting £5.00 a day

Best of luck :tu: :tu: :tu:

Respect!!

Pia
12-04-2005, 22:59
Change your diet at the same time as you stop smoking. Cut out sweets, chocolate, crisps and the frying pan. Eat plenty of fruit and veg and drink plenty of water. Concentrate mostly on sticking to the diet and it makes it easier to forget the ciggies. Improved diet and no ciggies will make everything taste much better and you will soon feel all the better for doing it.

Although easier said than done until you do it... this is exactly what i am aiming for i just hope i am strong enough to do this i need to lose weight and need to stop smoking for the money reasons aswell!! How long will i crave for?
i know it will be different for everyone of course, but everyone i spoke to it has ranged from 3 days to months!! :Yikes:

hoggyspuds
12-04-2005, 23:02
Although easier said than done until you do it... this is exactly what i am aiming for i just hope i am strong enough to do this i need to lose weight and need to stop smoking for the money reasons aswell!! How long will i crave for?
i know it will be different for everyone of course, but everyone i spoke to it has ranged from 3 days to months!! :Yikes:

the cravings stop.........it's the habit you gotta beat!

kronas
12-04-2005, 23:04
well Pia said avoiding putting on weight was important , so chocolate & sweets may be well intentioned but, not appropriate... lol, ( I have put on weight :) )

well the general consensus is if a woman is worried about her wieght she generally looks fine :p:

seriously though i must have overlooked the wieght bit of the post so i apologise, the best thing you can do is introduce fresh fish, vegetables and pasta to your diet, no its not boring it actually tastes good :)

thanks for the warning :Yikes:

trust me i only caught a glimpse :disturbd: :Yikes:

greencreeper
12-04-2005, 23:12
Split open a used teabag - looks a bit like a smoker's lung. Nice.

There's a bloke at work with teeth like those in the pic :erm: Bet he's a great kisser.

Hang in there - though not literally. Try gnawing on the door frame instead.

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 23:20
Hello everyone.

Thanks Pia,x

Not inspitational - but my experience....

I've seen a number of people (including my mother) die slowly and in great pain because of cancer/smoking.

Hopefully if you think of having a fag you will think of that thought when you go to light up.

What you do to yourself is of course your own choice, but when it's something you can stop (with help if need be) you can stop other people who care for you having to go through with it as well.

Of course - I also know a fair few people who have never had a problem.

But it certainly gave me food for thought.

homealone
13-04-2005, 01:45
I am glad I have given up smoking, I used to cough a lot in the morning, I don't now - and cycling to work I breathe a lot better ;)

- sorry about your mum, dilli ...

Seti
13-04-2005, 01:55
Pia,

I went cold turkey and sadly have now fallen off the wagon :( I intend to tryu again though soon.

Well done for giving up. :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you get stucj buy a little book called "The easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr.

Good luck :)

Sian

ScaredWebWarrior
13-04-2005, 08:23
Hi everyone thanks for your inspiration so far......... it really is hard, especially after a meal and certain other times when it would be habit that i light up! I don't want to use patches i am determined to do this cold turkey. I have gone through a good 3 packets of chewing gum this last 36 hours!! Keep them coming it helps me carry on!! Thank you.x

I stopped smoking about 12 years ago, using patches. Very effective, since I'd failed going cold turkey 3 times.

Anyway, I lapsed a year or so ago, and got back to full-time smoking. Decided that wasn't clever and went back to the patches, but they didn't seem to work.

Went to the GP and got prescribed Zyban - which works on the dependency centre in the brain - and that worked like a charm.

I've been off smokes since the start of the new year and no intention of going back.

My advice is do NOT make your life a misery going cold turkey - use the assistance that science provides.

BTW - I also found that with Zyban I had no increased urge to eat etc. so no weight gain.

zing_deleted
13-04-2005, 08:42
I stopped smoking 10 years ago,I took quite a radicle approach.I stopped smoking and drinking at the same time or there would have been no way id have stayed off,I also brainwashed myself,everytime i saw someone smoking i thought what a fool for spending all that cash and doing all that damage,I must admit over the first few months I became arrogant around smokers but it worked for me I have never smoked a ciggie again and I never will :D
I wish you all the luck in the world once you have stayed off for about a month treat yourself to a really posh meal you will be surprised how much different it tastes cuz you will now be able to taste food properly :D :D

Pia
13-04-2005, 20:56
Well today i went to work for the first time since i quit.....and that was a huge test because i have a lot of habits related to breaks etc at work, i do something at a certain time i have a fag...... but i managed okay!! I just stayed away from the smoking area and i was fine.
Until, of course, -i was serving on the bar, and the customers must have been wondering why i was leaning over the bar when taking their money and breathing rather heavily...!!! Other peoples smoke still smells sooo nice i hope this doesn't last long!!

Chris W
13-04-2005, 21:00
well... tomorrow is my day... i promised that i would give up when i get a new car and i'm picking it up at 11am tomorrow!

After the last 5 or 6 failed attempts i hope this one is better... :erm:

Pia
13-04-2005, 21:05
ooh good luck monkeybreath!!

I had a thought when i planned to stop but wasnt sure if it would work.
I had a few left in my box and thought 'okay when they are gone thats it' and i thought would it be a good idea to smoke them all really quickly and one after the other until it made me feel a bit sick.......then hope i was put off them.
Has anyone tried this?
I know some of my friends' parents at school if they caught them smoking would make them smoke a full pack one after the other and that they would never smoke again.:devsmoke:

Chris W
13-04-2005, 21:06
I did try smoking 60 in a night once to make me stop... (i normally have 20 a day) and this didn't work....

it stopped me the next day, but after that i just started up again

Chimaera
13-04-2005, 21:11
ooh good luck monkeybreath!!

I had a thought when i planned to stop but wasnt sure if it would work.
I had a few left in my box and thought 'okay when they are gone thats it' and i thought would it be a good idea to smoke them all really quickly and one after the other until it made me feel a bit sick.......then hope i was put off them.
Has anyone tried this?
I know some of my friends' parents at school if they caught them smoking would make them smoke a full pack one after the other and that they would never smoke again.:devsmoke:
Yep - I made my daughter do that (think she was about 11). She had been pestering my friend about smoking 'What's it like?' etc, and wouldn't keep quiet about it. She's the type that would have bought ciggies with her dinner money, so I made her smoke one of his B&H's in front of us, which she smoked with typical teenage bravado. But when I offered her a second, she suddenly went a funny green colour and disappeared to the bathroom PDQ! She has never smoked another ciggie since, and her boyfriend has now stopped with her 'encouragement' - I suspect it's more like nagging! He's also putting the money saved aside - it's surprising how quickly a fiver a day (or more) mounts up - why not do the same and treat yourself to something really nice at the end of the month, Pia?
Oh, and I nearly forgot - good luck! And remember you will have the disapproval of all the members here if you relapse.......... :D

hoggyspuds
13-04-2005, 21:25
well... tomorrow is my day... i promised that i would give up when i get a new car and i'm picking it up at 11am tomorrow!

After the last 5 or 6 failed attempts i hope this one is better... :erm:

Guess you have to change your name here too, cos you will no longer have monkey breath!! ;)

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2005, 21:44
Pia - how can you be 19 and a smoker for 8 years?

Surely you didnt start when you were 11?

Pia
13-04-2005, 22:07
Pia - how can you be 19 and a smoker for 8 years?

Surely you didnt start when you were 11?

I turn 20 next month! And unfortunately i started smoking on my 12th birthday, around 10 a day... though i was still at school i still managed it!!

This thread is fantastic..... every time i start considering going to the shop for 20 fags i click on and read! It really is helping me lots and i hope some more people like monkeybreath can stop with me!
I asked some people at work if they wanted to bet some money on it for more incentive they didnt seem interested!!

homealone
13-04-2005, 23:35
I turn 20 next month! And unfortunately i started smoking on my 12th birthday, around 10 a day... though i was still at school i still managed it!!

This thread is fantastic..... every time i start considering going to the shop for 20 fags i click on and read! It really is helping me lots and i hope some more people like monkeybreath can stop with me!
I asked some people at work if they wanted to bet some money on it for more incentive they didnt seem interested!!

I had my first fag when I was 9, it was a 'woodbine', my mate at the time got some & we smoked them, hidden in a ditch at the back of our houses - he was greedy & smoked more than me and was quite ill for couple of days :erm:

andygrif
14-04-2005, 00:58
Hello everyone.

Well done you! I quite in January, cold turkey, still haven't had one! Hope you can do the same.

This was a big deal for me...actually it was the reason I was putting off quitting. Last time I quite (about 5 years ago) I put a lot of weight on, so this time I changed my diet quite a lot and so far so good. I've even lost half a stone in the process!

I still find myself getting a lot more peckish...at times when I would have had a ciggy, but now I just have a lot of fruit in the house so now I'm having two or three bits of fruit a day!

How long will i crave for?

I guess that depends on the definition of craving. There are still times now when I think...oooh, I could have a cigarette now, but I don't think it's a craving as such...and it passes almost straight away. And this only happens to me now every now and again, if I'm stressed about something or have completed some big project etc.

I think that's the key...if you get a craving just ignore it, or do something different to take your mind off it...it will be gone in a minute.

Until, of course, -i was serving on the bar, and the customers must have been wondering why i was leaning over the bar when taking their money and breathing rather heavily...!!! Other peoples smoke still smells sooo nice i hope this doesn't last long!!

For me the first few weeks I still really enjoyed the smell of other people's smoke...now I'm not bothered by it...I'm determined not to become a grumpy ex-smoker, so I will continue to mix with other smokers, again so far so good...I haven't actually wanted one at all.

But the smell after I've been out...well that's just horrid!

Good luck Pia...I'm sure you know it's a good thing to do, but most of all it's about proving to yourself that you're strong willed and can do anything you set your mind to.

I know you can do it!

highlandlassie
14-04-2005, 07:30
piaswales - I lost my FIL 27th Feb 2005 and my SIL on the 14th March - both deaths casused by smoking - I deceided to give up the ciggies. On the first of April I quit - have now saved £140 so far. I was a heavy smoker around 40 a day, then cut down to 20 a day when I started working again.

I am using the patches and they are helping. I let peeps at work know and they encourage me evryday to keep going.

I am finding it easier this time - last time I only lasted 3 days

Good Luck

homealone
14-04-2005, 08:04
piaswales - I lost my FIL 27th Feb 2005 and my SIL on the 14th March - both deaths casused by smoking - I deceided to give up the ciggies. On the first of April I quit - have now saved £140 so far. I was a heavy smoker around 40 a day, then cut down to 20 a day when I started working again.

I am using the patches and they are helping. I let peeps at work know and they encourage me evryday to keep going.

I am finding it easier this time - last time I only lasted 3 days

Good Luck

well done highlandlassie, keep it up :tu:

(sorry to hear about your in laws, btw)

Roy MM
14-04-2005, 09:47
Well i'm into my tenth week smoke free after 44yrs of smoking, using patches it was a doddle, i was a 40-50 a day man.

Pia
14-04-2005, 20:31
Highlandlassie sorry to hear that but i take my hat off to you for making a positive change from something so awful.
Thanks for your words aswell andygrif kept me going through work today!!

It is day 4 now..... and i am starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms. My tongue feels really sore but not too sure if that is because i have been chewing a lot of gum? Also got headaches.:mad:
A couple of my friends at work have stopped too but they are being really quite negative always moping around wanting a fag. I have managed to keep positive because i am not sure they will last very long with that attitude.....

I can feel it on a morning the last few days, that my eyes feel much more awake even though i have had the same as usual amount of sleep i don't know if this is related or not. Still craving it so badly and i lapsed a lot today had to snack on some crisps!!....:(

Chimaera
14-04-2005, 20:40
I thought of you today! ;) As I was going past one of the local hospitals they had a large banner up advertising their 'StopSmoking' campaign - they are doing a promotion with the Health Authority, giving away leaflets, gum, patches, counselling etc - it might be worth enquiring in your area perhaps? You might even be able to meet fellow 'quitters' and find support that way.

Pia
14-04-2005, 20:54
:) Worth a go isn't it! I might actually ask my local surestart people, my health visitor was on about some kind of program but i didn't fancy going along to hear all what we already know about what it doesn blah blah!! lol

kronas
14-04-2005, 23:51
:) Worth a go isn't it! I might actually ask my local surestart people, my health visitor was on about some kind of program but i didn't fancy going along to hear all what we already know about what it doesn blah blah!! lol

i know how hard it can be when your in the mindset of having something between your fingers and giving you the hit, a freind of mine has not smoked for a month, without patches, he has admitted to being very tense and easily wound up....but he has replaced cigarettes with other things.

your best action is to try and change your mental thinking instead of actively thinking 'i need a cigarette' or having the craving substitue it with something else, have a sweet, a healthy bar like nutri-grain or something like that to get you off that thinking practice, i knwo you mentioned weight loss as being an issue but thats why you can try nutrition bars and even drinks.

hang on in there its worth it all! :)

Tezcatlipoca
14-04-2005, 23:56
I used to smoke around 10 per day.

I stopped just over 4 weeks ago - haven't had a single cigarette since. No gum or patches either.

Hoping it will last :erm:

kronas
14-04-2005, 23:59
I used to smoke around 10 per day.

I stopped just over 4 weeks ago - haven't had a single cigarette since. No gum or patches either.

Hoping it will last :erm:

the trick is not to think about it, you might get a reminder but nurse yourself out of it concentrate on something else, like music or a magazine.

:)

homealone
15-04-2005, 00:23
Highlandlassie sorry to hear that but i take my hat off to you for making a positive change from something so awful.
Thanks for your words aswell andygrif kept me going through work today!!

It is day 4 now..... and i am starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms. My tongue feels really sore but not too sure if that is because i have been chewing a lot of gum? Also got headaches.:mad:
A couple of my friends at work have stopped too but they are being really quite negative always moping around wanting a fag. I have managed to keep positive because i am not sure they will last very long with that attitude.....

I can feel it on a morning the last few days, that my eyes feel much more awake even though i have had the same as usual amount of sleep i don't know if this is related or not. Still craving it so badly and i lapsed a lot today had to snack on some crisps!!....:(

if you snacked on crisps the dry tongue could be the salt ;) - or the gum (watch eating too much gum if it has sorbitol in it - it can act as a mild laxative :eek: )

If you have gone 4 days you have 'broken the back' of it, drink plenty of water, take deep breaths - you are winning :tu:

allieyoung666
15-04-2005, 07:02
Hi Pia, I stopped smoking in November, all by myself. Only because I have chronic asthma and various other chest complaints and my Doctor warned me that I would be on oxygen by the the time I am 40. But there are plenty of free services in the darlington area. Do you pay for perscriptions? As you can get all the stuff free off the doctor and ask them to refer you to the smoking cestation service. They will give you a letter, so it is up to you. Take some fruit that you like in a box so that you can snack on it through the day or suck some sugar free sweets. You are getting there but do not give in to temptation, just think of all the money you will be saving.

Pia
15-04-2005, 10:03
Hi everyone, Day 5 and i woke up this morning and it took about 30 minutes before i even thought of smoking..... that's gotta be good!!

Allie well done for staying stopped. I don't pay for prescriptions but i don't really want to get any patches or anything unless i get really desperate as i seem to be handling it quite well! (positive thinking only......!)

Tezcatlipoca
15-04-2005, 18:19
the trick is not to think about it, you might get a reminder but nurse yourself out of it concentrate on something else, like music or a magazine.

It was really hard at first - especially when out at the pub etc. Just seems so natural to have a ciggie in one hand & a pint in the other.

It's got a lot better now though.

Think it's always been more the pyschological addiction, & the habit & routine, rather than the nicotine (hence not bothering with gum/patches).

Just a matter of breaking the habit, & not letting anything cause me to slip back into it.

snodvan
15-04-2005, 18:35
I smoked (lightly) for near 40 years - but always said I would give up before I retired from work. 3 years before I retired I said "this is the time" .. and stopped. However,

Mid morning/ afternoon and lunchtime I continued to meet all my smoking buddies in the smaoking room at work - for the chat/ social meet. The first month was tough but increasingly I realised that

a. I could not stand the stink of the place
b. That I used to stink like that

So I began going less and less and inside 6 months never. Within 6 months any "urge" had gone and within 1 year I never even thought about it. It has been 5 years now.

No sweeties (never been a sweetie eater) and no extra food/ nibbles but drank a lot more coffee (decaf, no sugar or milk 'cos that is how I like it). Frankly never felt the need for anything else but I can tell you that sex was better!!! work that one out.

Through all of this there was always a packet of cigs on/ in my desk and even now there is a half-carton on top of the bookcase behind me. Never even think about it but it does not 'bother' me to be in the company of others who do smoke - except I have to change clothes as soon as I can after the event.

You CAN do it and it IS worthwhile

allieyoung666
15-04-2005, 18:54
I must admit, since I have packed in, I cannot stand the smell, I wont even let Paul kiss me if he has just had one, as I want to be sick. I think it looks bloody terrible when you see some of the fag heads at school by the yard gate. I feel a lot better and I have alot more energy to.

Pia
15-04-2005, 22:14
It was really hard at first - especially when out at the pub etc. Just seems so natural to have a ciggie in one hand & a pint in the other.

It's got a lot better now though.

Think it's always been more the pyschological addiction, & the habit & routine, rather than the nicotine (hence not bothering with gum/patches).

Just a matter of breaking the habit, & not letting anything cause me to slip back into it.

I agree it is the same for me. I also think for me, in a way, when i thought about stopping i imagined it to be much harder than it actually is, so by preparing myself for a nightmare and 'the hardest thing ever' then that has helped immensely!!

I have just noticed today that things are already starting to taste and smell stronger, is that just my mind playing tricks or does it happen this soon?! I have been drinking lots and lots of tea and it tastes different! And i could also smell the washing up liquid today....(sounds daft i know!!) not that i couldn't smell it before, just not like this!!

It feels really good not to smell of smoke aswell, and also in the kitchen, - which is where i smoked in the house as i have a little boy.

Thank you to the people aswell that said something along the lines of 'the cravings only last for 3-5 minutes then they're gone' as this has changed my subconscious thinking when i do get the craving and it is absolutely spot on!!

This thread is keeping me going everyday as there is obviously times when i feel like going to the shop!! :group:

homealone
15-04-2005, 22:45
I agree it is the same for me. I also think for me, in a way, when i thought about stopping i imagined it to be much harder than it actually is, so by preparing myself for a nightmare and 'the hardest thing ever' then that has helped immensely!!

I have just noticed today that things are already starting to taste and smell stronger, is that just my mind playing tricks or does it happen this soon?! I have been drinking lots and lots of tea and it tastes different! And i could also smell the washing up liquid today....(sounds daft i know!!) not that i couldn't smell it before, just not like this!!

It feels really good not to smell of smoke aswell, and also in the kitchen, - which is where i smoked in the house as i have a little boy.

Thank you to the people aswell that said something along the lines of 'the cravings only last for 3-5 minutes then they're gone' as this has changed my subconscious thinking when i do get the craving and it is absolutely spot on!!

This thread is keeping me going everyday as there is obviously times when i feel like going to the shop!! :group:

taste & smell improving is definitely one of the benefits I have noticed - it isn't just being able to tell who is a smoker :)

smoking in the kitchen is also a hygiene risk - you touch your mouth and then you touch the knife_ fork_ plate_ spoon - and transfer bacteria & viruses to them ;)

Pia
15-04-2005, 23:09
smoking in the kitchen is also a hygiene risk - you touch your mouth and then you touch the knife_ fork_ plate_ spoon - and transfer bacteria & viruses to them ;)

I know, i used to smoke outside but the winter came along...! I do know all this i work in catering and have got all my certificates!!:D

homealone
15-04-2005, 23:22
I know, i used to smoke outside but the winter came along...! I do know all this i work in catering and have got all my certificates!!:D

:LOL: I remember a winter when icicles were a problem if I smoked outside - quick way to go :D

all you need to do, to stop smoking, is not smoke :cool:

Pia
16-04-2005, 20:53
Oh no.... been eating lots today to compensate for not smoking..oops:

:( not feeling overly positive about this today. :bigcry:

Pia
19-04-2005, 00:00
Hello everyone, it is almost the end of day 7 and i seem to be doing okay....unlike this thread which had died a little- i hope we can get it going again it has been like a godsend to me!
Got a hurdle coming up tomorrow night though, having a party and there's gonna be drink, and usually drinking = smoking!! Really rather worried about how silly i might get and just smoke. O r is that a good thing to do if it makes me feel sick....?
I don't usually like smoking too much when i am really beyond tipsy as it makes me feel too drunk sometimes, its just when i am happily merry!! But i don't really fancy getting slaughtered just to stop me smoking LOL!

:(

danielf
19-04-2005, 00:04
taste & smell improving is definitely one of the benefits I have noticed - it isn't just being able to tell who is a smoker :)

Mixed blessings. When I quit (unsuccesfully) I couldn't stand being near the sweets/chocolate aisle in the supermarket. The smell that stuff produces can truely be offensive :(

Still, good on you piaswales for giving up. Keep it up!

Monster Jedi
19-04-2005, 00:12
Oh no.... been eating lots today to compensate for not smoking..oops:

:( not feeling overly positive about this today. :bigcry:

As the mask would say smokein:D

Indians
19-04-2005, 19:00
For all you people who smoke , stop, for all you people who have just stopped, don't ever do it again.
My experience, and this is the first time I've really talked about it......
....I always knew it wasn't good for me but what the hell, maybe I'll get Heart problems later in life or arteries 'furring' up causing circulation problems, never ever thought it would be anything relly serious.

I'm 47, smoked since I was 15, Jan 2005 I was told I have Lung Cancer.
There is only one thing worse than being told that, and that is going home and telling your family.
They are not hoping for a 'cure' just to 'control' it and improve my quality of life what ever that might be, just finished Radiotherapy treatment and waiting for Chemotherapy to start.

If you smoke, please, please, please stop.

homealone
19-04-2005, 19:06
For all you people who smoke , stop, for all you people who have just stopped, don't ever do it again.
My experience, and this is the first time I've really talked about it......
....I always knew it wasn't good for me but what the hell, maybe I'll get Heart problems later in life or arteries 'furring' up causing circulation problems, never ever thought it would be anything relly serious.

I'm 47, smoked since I was 15, Jan 2005 I was told I have Lung Cancer.
There is only one thing worse than being told that, and that is going home and telling your family.
They are not hoping for a 'cure' just to 'control' it and improve my quality of life what ever that might be, just finished Radiotherapy treatment and waiting for Chemotherapy to start.

If you smoke, please, please, please stop.

so sorry to hear that, Indians, I hope the chemo does some good...

I think it is fantastic of you to share your experience in the hope of helping someone else, though, thankyou :tu:

Indians
19-04-2005, 19:23
Thx Homealone, I don't want to sound like all the other 'Stop Smoking Evangelists', and no one knows better than me how I never thought it would happen to me.
It's still hard to talk about, there are still some people at work that don't know (I'm going in a couple of hours a day still), and it's really hard telling someone, you can see the shock in their face, then the "sorry" or "I don't know what to say", I'm sat here with tears on my face now just relating this.

It's too late for me, do yourselves a favour, don't smoke, if I can stop just one other person getting this....................

homealone
19-04-2005, 19:45
Thx Homealone, I don't want to sound like all the other 'Stop Smoking Evangelists', and no one knows better than me how I never thought it would happen to me.
It's still hard to talk about, there are still some people at work that don't know (I'm going in a couple of hours a day still), and it's really hard telling someone, you can see the shock in their face, then the "sorry" or "I don't know what to say", I'm sat here with tears on my face now just relating this.

It's too late for me, do yourselves a favour, don't smoke, if I can stop just one other person getting this....................

I'm ashamed to say that it took a very scarey chest infection to convince me into giving up - and I know exactly what you mean about the 'evangelist' tendency ;)

If I can do anything - if you want to talk about it with someone not family or friends, for example, then get in touch :)

allieyoung666
19-04-2005, 20:37
I'm ashamed to say that it took a very scarey chest infection to convince me into giving up - and I know exactly what you mean about the 'evangelist' tendency ;)

If I can do anything - if you want to talk about it with someone not family or friends, for example, then get in touch :)

That is what made me pack in, my GP told me that If I did not pack in I would have COPD by the time I was 40. And I have seen some of these people that have this disease, it isnt a pretty sight to see a grown man struggling for breath.
Just keep it up, I have a total different outlook on life since I packed in, I have even managed to change my diet and I feel a totally different person as well.

Ramrod
20-04-2005, 08:03
From todays Times: The human cost of smoking (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1576989,00.html)
THE risks of smoking are far greater than most people recognise, new data indicate.
Being a smoker at the age of 30 cuts a manââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s life expectancy by 5½ years, and a womanââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s by more than 6½, according to life tables produced by the Institute of Actuaries. At any age up to 80, the chances of dying in the next year are virtually doubled by being a smoker, the tables indicate........

highlandlassie
20-04-2005, 20:09
well I am still off the smoking - will be 3 weeks come friday - already I have £180 saved in my wee gurdie - yep I still have the urge - but after smelling my co-workers who have just come in from having a wee puff - the urge soon goes away - do I really want to smell like that again - no way

allieyoung666
20-04-2005, 20:24
have you ever noticed that once you have stopped smoking, and you smell other people who smoke they smell like an ashtray!!! I wonder why you never notice that when you smoke?

Tuftus
20-04-2005, 20:45
have you ever noticed that once you have stopped smoking, and you smell other people who smoke they smell like an ashtray!!! I wonder why you never notice that when you smoke?

I noticed this at first... (quit in Nov 04) but I have become so stressed of late I am beginning to be seduced by it, I follow people that smoke to work and it smells great to me. I know smoking kills and stuff, all my grandparents died of cancer due to smoking.

:(

ScaredWebWarrior
20-04-2005, 20:53
I noticed this at first... (quit in Nov 04) but I have become so stressed of late I am beginning to be seduced by it...

Lousy excuse and the slippery slope. (Been there, done that)
The best way to counter stress is exercise - get that adrenaline/endorphines flowing and you'll soon have stress under control.

... I know smoking kills and stuff, all my grandparents died of cancer due to smoking.

Try keeping that imagine in your head next time you get a whiff of a smoke.

Try also to remember that when you smoke you smell like ***** and no-one in their right mind would really want to kiss you.

Tuftus
20-04-2005, 21:07
Lousy excuse and the slippery slope. (Been there, done that)
The best way to counter stress is exercise - get that adrenaline/endorphines flowing and you'll soon have stress under control.

Try keeping that imagine in your head next time you get a whiff of a smoke.

Try also to remember that when you smoke you smell like ***** and no-one in their right mind would really want to kiss you.

Thanks for the advice, it's becoming a battle though as I used to smoke to deal with stress and if i can be brutally honest, I enjoyed it, now I have come to another stressfull stage of my life / career I have found my self in a rut...

I do not want to start smoking again deep down but am seduced by 'the dark side' so to speak as that was what worked in the past, I guess its all down to re education...

dilli-theclaw
20-04-2005, 21:10

Well I really don't know what to say - sorry.

But I've just made buxom woman sit and read through the whole thread including your posts.

Hopefully it will pursuade her to quit as well.

Dilli.

Pia
20-04-2005, 21:41

Indians, thank you so much for posting on this thread with your story, it really made me think a lot more seriously about this.

Like i said i had a party last night and was worried i might lapse....well i did. I had a drink and made my friends go outside to smoke (in the rainoops:!!) and the smell was driving me mad and i was weak and had a few puffs.....

It didn't make me sick, i was hoping it would but it didn't. I had about two puffs and i didn't go back for anymore. And I didn't really want to to tell you the truth. I know drinking was no excuse but the biggest worry about that was if I got the nicotine back into my blood would i want it more and it be harder to stop?
Well it hasn't so I don't regret it too much - just won't do it again.

There is no way I am going to give up on this- i have lasted almost 9 days now and everyone who says the cravings last only 3 mins or so is right and I am okay with this. Obviously it gets hard now when i am stressed out- but it doesn't last!

One thing I will say to anyone reading this, anyone who has had the thought of quitting even cross their minds, is please believe me when I say that if you have the right attitude and don't be too negative ("oooh i need a fag...oooh i am sick of this"......etc)- STOPPING SMOKING IS A LOT EASIER THAN YOU WOULD THINK. I have had a lot of people say to me 'oh i won't be able to stop so i won't bother trying'. Even if you have tried before and failed- try again but be positive about it- and don't think 'it will never happen to me' when you hear the experiences of people such as Indians on this thread.

When i crave a cig and i am at home i put the kettle on and make a cup of tea and that has been the main 'habit-breaker' trick for me. I was in a situation the other day when the usual thing I would have done is smoke- so i put the kettle on and i was fine.

Sorry for the long post but after reading the new messages on here since I was last on I feel even more passionately about this!
I will keep this up anyone can feel free to join me!:Yes:

daz300
20-04-2005, 22:21
i never smoked in my life , here are ther things that put me off
(a) the cost in cash £ 5.00 for 10 ,smoke one they last for 5 mins
(B) the smell , of smoke
(C) the burning things , i all was have nice to put on when i go out and would be most p**ed off if i burnt them .
(D) peple that smoke all ways smell .

all the best i hope that you do stop smoking .

Tuftus
20-04-2005, 22:29
(B) the smell , of smoke
(C) the burning things , i all was have nice to put on when i go out and would be most p**ed off if i burnt them .

Whilst i appreciate your point of view, as an ex smoker...

A My fiancee never worried about the cost, she even bought me smokes sometimes...
B She did not care as she loves me
C Not really sure what your point is...
D Not if you wash... :D

Pia
22-04-2005, 10:27
(B) the smell , of smoke

Hi daz, i do see your point, but i had to correct you!! I have never paid £5 for 10 fags, it is 20 you get for that! :p:

lol sorry just had to. thanks for sharing your views btw. :)

Well, it is now Day 11 and I am doing okay, still keep coming back to this thread though. I haven't told my mam that i have stopped smoking, not for any particular reason- i have just not told many people really- and she is coming round today! Wonder if she notices...lol i am sure she will be shocked when i say i have been stopped for 11 days!

ScaredWebWarrior
22-04-2005, 11:34
Well, it is now Day 11 and I am doing okay, still keep coming back to this thread though. I haven't told my mam that i have stopped smoking, not for any particular reason- i have just not told many people really- and she is coming round today! Wonder if she notices...lol i am sure she will be shocked when i say i have been stopped for 11 days!

WELL DONE!

Keep it up - it gets easier.

Do tell people - apart from their good wishes you may also get some support - for example, one of them may smoke and chose not to do it when you're around.

AndrewJ
22-04-2005, 11:46
My parents smoked and I got used to the smell but I have no interest in smoking myself, makes clothes smell and the people do, I hate the smell of people who smoke, can smell it even more if I am on bus/tram/train and someone who has been smoking on the platform stubs it out and walks past you on train, they reak!! How people can think its kewl or which excuse they use I do not know.

Honestly quitting smoking is best thing you could ever do.

I am a self confessed chewing gum eater though :D

Pia
22-04-2005, 12:05
WELL DONE!

Keep it up - it gets easier.

Do tell people - apart from their good wishes you may also get some support - for example, one of them may smoke and chose not to do it when you're around.

I suppose i thought if people knew and they were sceptical then i would rebel against that and smoke- i think that is a taurean trait in me;)
So i figured it best to tell only a few people, and i actually told them not to mention it to me, even if it was words of support, because if i am thinking about being a smoker then it is harder to be a non-smoker.....

Not sure that makes sense hope it does!

Indians
22-04-2005, 18:51
You're doing great piaswales, a big well done, keep it up.

Thanks everyone for you kind wishes, I have good days and bad, just taking life one day at a time and appreciating things a lot more.

hoggyspuds
23-04-2005, 20:57
I have found this site to be helpful. http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/
Also looking back at this thread too helps....day 37 here..good luck everyone!

andyl
23-04-2005, 21:15
#The best way to counter stress is exercise
Diazepam's pretty good too :) I'm joking (kind of). Exercise is good. Might sound all hippy but I''m a real cynic when it comes to a lot of alternative therapies but reike is ace.

Good luck to all you renouncing the weed.

Pia
05-05-2005, 23:15
Hi all :wavey:
This thread died a bit so i wanted to update.....
It is week 3 now and i must say i have lapsed a few times.........:(

I went out last weekend and smoked a couple while drunk. But didn't have one sober so i thought that would be ok. But last night and tonight, (sober) i got two fags off my friend and enjoyed them. I convinced myself it was ok.

Now i am feeling like i need to egg myself up all over again as my willpower is starting to fade, although i managed to find a new addiction- shopping on ebay. :blush:

I really don't want to smoke again but have been so weak, and realsied that at the beginning this thread helped me out sooo much so I hope people can contribute more!

shredder
05-05-2005, 23:20
well i hadn't touched a cigarette for two years until i split with my boyfriend last month when i started again and i'm finding it as hard to quit again even though it's only been 3 weeks

hoggyspuds
05-05-2005, 23:28
Hi all :wavey:
This thread died a bit so i wanted to update.....
It is week 3 now and i must say i have lapsed a few times.........:(

I went out last weekend and smoked a couple while drunk. But didn't have one sober so i thought that would be ok. But last night and tonight, (sober) i got two fags off my friend and enjoyed them. I convinced myself it was ok.

Now i am feeling like i need to egg myself up all over again as my willpower is starting to fade, although i managed to find a new addiction- shopping on ebay. :blush:

I really don't want to smoke again but have been so weak, and realsied that at the beginning this thread helped me out sooo much so I hope people can contribute more!

keep trying there girl! You will do it! It's a mental thing ....just say to yourself that you are better than drug addiction.....that's all it is with side effects!!.....day 52 here and to be honest i had to work that out! Be strong.....fight it....you will suceed!!

well i hadn't touched a cigarette for two years until i split with my boyfriend last month when i started again and i'm finding it as hard to quit again even though it's only been 3 weeks

Sorry to hear about your split....but why did you start again?....I'd have thought you were well over them?

shredder
05-05-2005, 23:38
i don't know i was feeling sorry for myself! i only quit for him because he was a non smoker and i know how bad smokers smell, an immature, spur of the moment act of rebellion which backfired!

greencreeper
05-05-2005, 23:43
No, no, no Shredder - can't have you saying you were feeling sorry for yourself! Sounds so sad :no: Be more dramatic - you're trying to smoke yourself to death. He was your only love and without him there's no point in living anymore. [someone turn those violins up] If he doesn't want you, no one will have you.

:D

shredder
05-05-2005, 23:45
god i felt like that at first! but i'm getting over him....only problem is i'm doing it with cigarettes and we still live together!

greencreeper
05-05-2005, 23:53
Well I'm all for living in sin. I was going to vote Tory :p:

Pia
14-05-2005, 12:13
page 3 this thread what happened there then. its my bday today so i want to buy fags.........

Chimaera
14-05-2005, 12:35
page 3 this thread what happened there then. its my bday today so i want to buy fags.........
Now, now - if you do that Pia you will have to change the description under your avatar to smoking CF member - and you don't want to do that, where we can all see it!
You could always buy them and burn them in a sacrificial ritual!

gsdlover
14-05-2005, 12:49
well done for having a go drinking lots of water will help you feel better and if you put the money you used to spend on fags in a jar after some months and you know you have broken the vice the money you daved can go on something really special for yourself GOOD LUCK

Pia
31-10-2005, 18:21
Hello everyone, i want to stop smoking- it didn't work last time. Even though this thread was amazing and i don't think i would have stopped at all if it wasn't for the inspiring stories people posted here.

So... i want to try this again. So i'm bumping this thread in the hope that someone can re-inspire me:D

And while you're at it, i need to lose weight too..:rofl::D:p::hyper:

homealone
31-10-2005, 19:05
Hello everyone, i want to stop smoking- it didn't work last time. Even though this thread was amazing and i don't think i would have stopped at all if it wasn't for the inspiring stories people posted here.

So... i want to try this again. So i'm bumping this thread in the hope that someone can re-inspire me:D

not sure if there is a lot more we can say, Pia, you have to want it for yourself, in order to make it happen. But have a read through the thread, again, and see whether you can re-kindle that inspiration to quit.

- like i said, as I see it, there are two parts to the process, getting rid of the addiction to nicotine is the first bit, getting rid of the habit of smoking is the second - and as you found, that second bit can be the hardest.

- you also have a problem, in that putting on weight is almost guaranteed, unless you can exercise enough to burn off the effects of a drop in metabolic rate & the extra 'comfort' eating. I imagine you don't get much chance to get to the gym, though :(

- all I can suggest there, is pack in the fags, first, sort out any problems with weight gain, later - good luck :tu:

Angua
31-10-2005, 19:18
Corny but true. You are only giving up one cigarette "the next one".

If you are fed up with smoking and really want to stop you will succeed. There is plenty of help out there as well as here (go for every prop you need of whatever description).

It will be 2 years for me next Sunday and I smoked for 30 years :Yikes:.

As Gaz says give up fags first then think about the weight loss. Apparently fruit is supposed to help as it gives you a helpful sugar boost.

zing_deleted
31-10-2005, 19:30

I will give you a tenner if stop for 6 months ;)

Pia
31-10-2005, 19:34
I will give you a tenner if stop for 6 months ;)

Lol now thats inspiration!

Corny but true. You are only giving up one cigarette "the next one".
It will be 2 years for me next Sunday and I smoked for 30 years :Yikes:.

Well done! :clap:

Good way of putting it that....

handyman
31-10-2005, 19:36

Get on the patchs and stick too them. What always used to let me down was thinking that a few days would sort me out when it takes.

Over a year and a half since I quit. :)

On a different note since you'll not smell o fags your pulling power should increase and that will halp with the weight loss. ;)

Tuftus
31-10-2005, 19:36
Why did you restart just out of interest?

I quit for 6 months and then got really stressed out at work and restarted, but then again when I quit it was under peer pressure, not for me....

patrickp
31-10-2005, 19:58

not sure if there is a lot more we can say, Pia, you have to want it for yourself, in order to make it happen. But have a read through the thread, again, and see whether you can re-kindle that inspiration to quit.

Absolutely, Gaz - you have to want to give up. If you don't really want to, you won't even be able to give up custard creams. But if you _do_ want to, you can give up anything.

And, as for the putting on weight thing, Pia - where I live, in SE London, there seem to be very high numbers of really grossly overweight people (I mean so overweight they can hardly even walk...) - and you _never_ see any of them without a fag hanging out of their mouths.

That's an idea - come visit Woolwich! The sight of those lardbags would put _anyone_ off smoking! ;-D

Hom3r
31-10-2005, 20:04
Take what you would spend on cigs and put it in a saving account.

When you've broken the habit take the money and treat yourself to something as a reward, be it a new spec PC, hoilday, or CHOCOLATE.

goldoni
31-10-2005, 21:27
I gave up, but I had decided when the price of the fags I smoked went over £4.00 I would stop. Well the dear old chancellor put them over by 10p so I stopped and to make sure I placed £5.00 in a jar each day except for Sunday.

Now it donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t take a brain of Briton to work out you have saved £150 per 30 days and as I gave up on Good Friday I have saved just about £985.00 give or take a few £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒââ‚ ¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒâ€š £s

Well thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s the goods news. :D :tu: :tu:

Now the bad news I was 16 stone when I stopped and I dare not say what I weigh now, but I did get some good news from the doctor "you should reduce your food intake by 10% if you give up smoking" I said I note you are telling me now. Thanks for that:rolleyes: :D

The exrta good news I still don't smoke :tu: :tu:

Pia
01-11-2005, 20:45
Hello, everyone, thanks for posting on my thread.

When i started this thread i only stopped for 3 weeks or so, even though that time was really good cos i used to come on here everyday and the posts made me feel so positive and i felt so proud of myself.

The thing that broke me, i think, was when i hosted a party for my friends birthday and as i had been doing so well, i drunkenly decided it wouldn't do any harm to have a couple of puffs of my mate's ciggie.
Well it was fine, but a couple of nights out later and i got to the stage of thinking- oh it's okay being drunk is a good excuse. But then i took it too far and actually went to the shop and bought some.

I guess as i had failed to stick to it even when on a night out, i felt a failure and convinced myself that i couldn't do it. Or maybe even that i wasn't good enough or strong enough to stop.

For some reason, when i think about stopping and losing weight, it makes me feel soo good and positive, but then when i can't do it i feel really rubbish.
I don't know why i can't do it, it's so easy, but i really really want to. I just know it would make me feel positive.

I suppose i am very stubborn, and if someone was stopping with me i would get all competitive and do a better job of it. However, i don't know anyone that will stop. And i'm not sure i can trust myself to not smoke when no-ones there.

It's really strange, cos i actually feel guilty when i smoke. I'm not one of these ignorant smokers that people talk about on the smoking thread, i feel a little bit ashamed to smoke in public, especially when i'm with my son outdoors ( i try not to smoke near him at all)- purely becasue i am very conscious of people thinking i'm a chav mam cos i'm young too!

My mind says yes, my body says no. Mind over matter i hear you cry? Why isn't it that easy to get motivated? I don't even get scared by the horror stories, cos i suppose i'm ignorant like that- only 20 it will never happen to me. But of course- it WILL happen to me, and my son if i carry on like this....

Soory for rambling a bit, if you're still reading up to now i'm trying to convince myself even more!!:D

Enuff
01-11-2005, 21:23
hi, it's been 5 years since I stopped smoking... I started seriously when I was about 11, I was 38 when I finally said no more! no more seeing close family members die of smoking related diseases in their 50's and 60's.

I also know what a grip it has on you, I remember taking a family member to christies hospital for treatment in manchester and seeing cancer patiants stood about outside still puffing away! thats when I realised that giving up the dreaded weed was gonna be a real big fight!

I bought a week of patches to help me on my way then after that I was on my own, the fight began! and I am still winning.

the longer you go without one the better it gets. It really is a fight, no way was I gonna let these little cancer death sticks beat me!!
all I can say is you need motivation and will power, get in the right frame of mind and your halfway there...

you'll do it eventually, as long as you really want to. good luck and remember who's the boss? you or the fags? I know who's the boss here ;)

Angua
01-11-2005, 21:46
Pia, here's an idea for you! All the money you would spend on ciggies you could use for gym membership. That way your lungs will get clearer sooner and you could keep the weight off as well.

You owe your child a future with his Mum!

Good luck!

Pia
01-11-2005, 21:58
I already go to the gym, and i get it cheap too!;)
Having said that, i don't go as often as i'd like to, the creche is always full :(

Thanks to Dodger for that post, now thats inspiring words! :)

I really want to do this, and the words you just posted- "remember who's the boss? you or the fags? I know who's the boss here"- just really get me thinking and make me even more determined.

You are right, and i need to get off my backside and do this, i need to be in control, that alone will give me a lot more confidence- and i quite like the fact that people will think of me as inspiring for doing it.

Ramrod
01-11-2005, 22:01
the words you just posted- "remember who's the boss? you or the fags? I know who's the boss here"- just really get me thinking and make me even more determined.I thought that was well put! :tu: :)

carlingman
01-11-2005, 23:16
Well this is a bit harsh but true and may have an impact -

About thirteen weeks ago a good friend of mine was told in no uncertain terms if she wanted to she her 26 month old baby grow up then now was the time to quit smoking.

The doc after explaining the impact then proceeded to tell her if she needed any inspiration to give up was to heed his words as due to her already complex condition that continuing smoking would make it a dead cert she would not see her baby reach puberty.

Harsh words from her GP but so far has worked as neither her nor her partner have smoked since.

:angel:

etccarmageddon
02-11-2005, 07:22
...I suppose i am very stubborn, and if someone was stopping with me i would get all competitive and do a better job of it. However, i don't know anyone that will stop. And i'm not sure i can trust myself to not smoke when no-ones there....I've always found the best person to compete with in life is yourself. dont rely on other people, make it a pride thing.

and if you really want to give up you will need to make sacrifices. change your lifestyle so you dont end up in situations where you will smoke.

budwieser
03-11-2005, 20:37
I gave up last year through using patches but they gave me such bad headaches and a wierd feeling that i stopped them on the first day!!!!!!!!!:Yikes:

Still smoking now but will try to give up again soon.
Did you know, by the way, that Nicotine is more addictive than Heroin!:td:

Angua
03-11-2005, 21:24
I gave up last year through using patches but they gave me such bad headaches and a wierd feeling that i stopped them on the first day!!!!!!!!!:Yikes:

Still smoking now but will try to give up again soon.
Did you know, by the way, that Nicotine is more addictive than Heroin!:td:

Too strong a patch then! I was on some which made me faint (couldn't hack it) so failed that time.

Next time try the gum or day time only patches.

Best of luck though Bud and Pia.