PDA

View Full Version : NTSC games on UK TV's and the dreaded "mod" chip

DannyA
23-06-2003, 19:48
Hey peeps,

im interesting in getting a chip for my box. Not at all for copying, but i love import games.

(Especially if you check out Goblin Driect and they are selling a lot for £3!!!)

Does the xbox out put in 60Hz in NTSC mode, or does it do Pal 60hz? bit of a geeky question, but im interested.

Heres another question, MS obviously hate mod chips and will block your xbox from live if it knows you have one, but after the recent update, does anyone know if they have put software in there to stop you installing one? I know dashboard got updated recently.

I don't know if anyone will know the answers to these questions, or if this is the wrong place to ask these questions ...

Sorry if i offend!

DannyA
23-06-2003, 20:06
I dont condone piracy.

Hell no. If I produced my own content, i'd me ****ed at someone stealing it.

But on the same turn of hand, measures put in place to limit the free trade of goods is illegal. ( I took economics - damned multinationals!!)

DVD region protection and game region coding is illegal. They are articfical barriers to trade, reduce competition and stifle the market place.

If i can get a game on import cheaper than i can here, then the price of the game here is articially high (rip off Britian)

This hasn't been tested in court (anyone got a spare few million to blow?) - but we would win. Especially in the UK.

thats another topic we can discuss later.

(What does hack me off is games getting released in other regoins that we will never have. I have just got Animal Crossing and Winning Eleven 6 final evoloution [Pro Evo 2] for gamecube - Life is complete! - these titles will never see the light of day over here - and they are so cool!)

laters guys - cheers for the reply 'Dre :)

zoombini
23-06-2003, 21:50
I think searching on google for modchips & xbox would get you as much information as we could give you here and more besides. ;)

kronas
23-06-2003, 21:53
yes you can chip to play imports but of course your xbox will be banned from xbox live unless you install a switch to disable the mod and buy the pal version

the xbox default is pal 60 i assume you can change modes but i dont know never tried to

Defiant
23-06-2003, 23:02
Their are modchips you can get that have switch's so you can turn them off when playing online so microsoft wouldn't know you are using them. As for the 60hz most new tv's are 60hz compatible ;)

robmurphy21
23-06-2003, 23:46
I checked goblin direct, as i own a US Xbox. NO titles for £3!!!

DannyA
24-06-2003, 21:01
Hey mr Murphy dude,

theres a small catch, but with the law of diminishing marginal returns, the more you buy the more you save :)

you have to be a member which costs £15 for 6 months or £20 a year, and they have a few select titles, dirt cheap.

Normally £8, but £3 to members ... it's called the giveaway xbox sale ...

http://www.goblindirect.com/MainContent/latestNews.asp#323

Games like Turock and Star wars, £3!!!

ok they're not the greatest games ever, but £3? That reminds me of those old Amiga budget games on the Prisim label. "Yeah there crap, but there £2!!" :smokin:

DannyA
24-06-2003, 21:01
oh and also cheers to everyone else who has posted, I will let you know how i get on.