PDA

View Full Version : Nightshift age?

Macca371
11-04-2005, 18:46
Hi, I'm thinking of working full time this summer after my exams to raise money. Thing is, I'm usually 'nocturnal' as such when I am out of college for a while, so I thought maybe working nightshift is a good idea. Plus the wage can be a lot higher on nightshift then day shift. However, a friend told me today that you have to be 18 to work night shift so I was wondering if anyone could confirm this, and is this for all jobs? Plus, if anyone has any experience of working nightshift, do you recommend it?

Thanks.

Flubflow
11-04-2005, 19:01
Depends on the job....
http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr3.htm#section3

paulyoung666
11-04-2005, 19:09
iirc , asda pay about £8 / hour for night shift shelf stackers , it is a start anyway :)

Paul
11-04-2005, 19:11
/me starts on nights later tonight. :)

bopdude
11-04-2005, 19:22
Plus, if anyone has any experience of working nightshift, do you recommend it?

Thanks.

I work mainly at night ( well mostly ) as for recommending it, depends on yourself really, and what you do during the day that could be affected by it.
Myself, I don't mind it but I would rather start working days now, we'll se what comes up :shrug:

paulyoung666
11-04-2005, 19:37
I work mainly at night ( well mostly ) as for recommending it, depends on yourself really, and what you do during the day that could be affected by it.
Myself, I don't mind it but I would rather start working days now, we'll se what comes up :shrug:

nature of the beast though aint it :erm: , i have worked shifts and days , prefered shifts for the flexibility , but sometimes you just cant beat being in your own bed most nights :tu:

homealone
11-04-2005, 19:42
I know what you mean about 'turning nocturnal' - I think there are a few on here, me included, who are subsceptible to that ;)

When I worked nights I found it helped to eat 'little & often', so as to maintain energy, but not to pig out, as that tends to make you sleepy. Don't drink too much tea or coffee (or Red Bull), as you just get 'wired' & keep waking up for a pee, when you get home.

Also, for me, it helped if I could get to bed & asleep as soon as possible after getting home around 6 - if I 'got off' before the sounds of people going to work/school etc, started, I could generally sleep through it. If I didn't do that, I often found I started to wake up again & then would find it difficult to do more than doze.

- each person tends to be individual in this, though (says he, who once overslept for a 2-10 ;) )

Steve H
11-04-2005, 19:46
I don't work nightshifts as such, but with my p/t job at a bar, I don't start until 7-8pm, and don't finish till 2-3am... I hate it. I hate waiting to go to work,.. would much prefer just getting up and going (IE morning work), wrecks my days.

Looking for anohter part time job anyway, as like yourself I'l be wanting to work full time before uni to get some cash in the bank and can't envisage doing this for much longer. Just need a kick up the ass to go find another job :p

greencreeper
11-04-2005, 19:52
I seem to remember reading something about heart disease being higher in nightshift workers than the rest of the population. Something to do with the body being hard-wired for sleep on a night, so your bodily functions either slow or shutdown - increased body fat and poor absorption of nutrients. To my mind, the main problem with night work is feeling sleepy - could have a nasty accident, like falling in a sausage mincer :erm:

I also prefer nights - I work 10:00 am til 18:00 pm because getting up at 06:00 am for an 08:00 start is just hell :(

allieyoung666
11-04-2005, 19:57
I work a mix of nights and lates and I do enjoy nights more, as when the world is getting up I am going to the land of nod,bliss!!!!!! Plus nights in a hospitial is usually quiet, so you normally have from midnight till 6 am just catching up on any paperwork and having an hr. The only time I hate is around about 3am as I feel the tiredness comming over me and it always seem deadly quiet at that time!

Stuart
11-04-2005, 20:11

nature of the beast though aint it :erm: , i have worked shifts and days , prefered shifts for the flexibility , but sometimes you just cant beat being in your own bed most nights :tu:

I haven't worked nights, but a few times I have had jobs that have required me to either do long "shifts" (doing a stock check at blockbusters was great fun as it had to be done after hours start at 5pm finish at 3 the next morning), or start at wierd hours (we had a newsagent that opened at 4am). I have found that while it is nice to have the extra money, the chance to sleep in your own bed is as important..

allieyoung666
11-04-2005, 20:27
I enjoy nights more as the atmosphere is more relaxed and we have a chance to have a chat with the patients and tidy round. Plus there is no management round on a night!

Macca371
11-04-2005, 20:30
Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful :)

greencreeper
12-04-2005, 00:05
There is something about being outside at 6 am having not slept all night. The world feels different somehow :erm: That sense of sharpness.

danielf
12-04-2005, 00:18
There is something about being outside at 6 am having not slept all night. The world feels different somehow :erm: That sense of sharpness.

I've been outside at 6 am without sleeping, but I don't recall a sense of sharpness. It was more like a stupour :dozey: I think back fondly to my student day though :D

Maggy
12-04-2005, 00:19
I just wish I could find a job where an afternoon nap was mandatory... ;)

Strzelecki
12-04-2005, 00:30
Move to Spain then! I've never worked nights but wouldn't mind, it's nice to go outside just as the birds are waking, air feels cleaner then too!

greencreeper
12-04-2005, 00:37
I just wish I could find a job where an afternoon nap was mandatory... ;)
Have you considered teaching, Coggy?

:p:

carlingman
12-04-2005, 00:43
Nightshift in a Hospital is looking favourable.

No managers around.

Chat with the patients.

Time for a kip.

Quick tidy round and some paperwork and then home.

Sorted what a job.

:D

Xaccers
12-04-2005, 10:58

Someone has a death wish! :D

Maggy
12-04-2005, 20:41

I have to be a moving target... ;)

allieyoung666
12-04-2005, 21:01
Nightshift in a Hospital is looking favourable.

No managers around.

Chat with the patients.

Time for a kip.

Quick tidy round and some paperwork and then home.

Sorted what a job.

I hope you know that it isnt always like that!!!!!! And most times I end up sorting out the drugs trolley and trailling through paper work that sometimes takes up 6 hours to sort as the day shift cannot be arsed to do their job properly!!!!!!! But there the night sister occasionally is on the lurk, so if get caught you could end up getting fired on the spot, so it isnt a bed of roses really.

:D

greencreeper
13-04-2005, 00:00
sweetness, no sleep = teh goodness

i dont need sleep anywho
The dangers of long-term amphetamine abuse though.

Stuart
13-04-2005, 01:02
Agreed.

Actually, :notopic:, your post reminded me of when I was younger*. I used to be able to go out clubbing all night, have two hours sleep then be up and ready to leave for work at ten to eight.

I definately can't do that now. Tried it last year. Barely made it through the next day.

* Gets out the Werthers Toffees..

nffc
13-04-2005, 01:15
Agreed.

Actually, :notopic:, your post reminded me of when I was younger*. I used to be able to go out clubbing all night, have two hours sleep then be up and ready to leave for work at ten to eight.

I definately can't do that now. Tried it last year. Barely made it through the next day.

* Gets out the Werthers Toffees..

I couldn't do that. If I don't get 10-12 hrs sleep/night, then I'll need coffee the next day.