PDA

View Full Version : NTL and their bull!

Mark15
15-09-2003, 16:08
Hello I used that Ntl customer comment thing to ask about Xbox:live's 600K poor proformance and this is what I as a reply.

Your Comment: well thanks for your reply but does this effect the upload and download speed when I use Xbox:Live. As people using BT 512K have a better connection speed that us on 600K. They can hold say 8 people in a game room as I struggle with 5 whats the problem there or is this the same as above. :)
Date: 9/11/2003 5:00:59 PM

Company Reply: Hi It sounds as if the problems are occuring due to the extreme effect the recent worm virus has had on our servers. Let me assure you we are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible. regards Lee James NTL Internet Customer Care

This is bull crap. The worm has nutten to do with it. :confused: :eek:

Caspar
15-09-2003, 16:24
Mark :) - BT customers on a 512k conn *WILL* have a better hosting performance because they have double the upload that us NTL customers. You complained about the wrong thing there m8! ;) You need to ask why BT have double the upload speed....lol! :)

Delnet
15-09-2003, 16:30
You'll have to do what I HAD to do & upgrade to 1MB just so I could have 256k upload.

Still 1MB is bloody fast :walk: can't wait for 2MB @ a resonable price ;-)

Mark15
15-09-2003, 16:32
Lol but still you think the guy would of said something better than the worm virus eehh??

Mark15
15-09-2003, 16:33
Isnt 2Mb upload the same as 1mB??

Boom
15-09-2003, 16:53
Originally posted by Mark15
Isnt 2Mb upload the same as 1mB??

Yes it will be the same.

ic14
15-09-2003, 17:16
Well that is pure bull from NTL!

(hugs adsl modem!)

Caspar
15-09-2003, 17:55
Originally posted by Boom
Yes it will be the same.

I'm not sure, why?...cause NTL don't do 2mb BB :p

Who knows NTL have be nice and give us 512k upload :p ....yeah right!!!! :rolleyes: :shrug: :spin: :td: :mad:

What we need is a 1mb SDSL line ;) :drool:

ic14
15-09-2003, 18:00
SDSL?

For 200 quid a month it will be yours!!

XiceWolf
15-09-2003, 18:12
I cant wait for Scottish Hydro power to release there BB through the power lines :D I shall leave my xbox on dedicated all day probably :D

Caspar
15-09-2003, 18:33
Originally posted by ic14
SDSL?

For 200 quid a month it will be yours!!

A company do it for £299 per month....but come on 1mb up and down!!!...we'd all have Boom SoD servers ;)

Originally posted by XiceWolf
I cant wait for Scottish Hydro power to release there BB through the power lines :D I shall leave my xbox on dedicated all day probably :D

..true, but only when the developers decide on putting proper MP management code in there :rolleyes: :spin: :shrug:

Come on how hard can it be... I'm hopeing Rainbow Six 3 will have remote admin functionality...maybe through Live Web!!! :D

Zorilla
15-09-2003, 19:32
Maybe it's about time Microsoft made a little more effort, and started setting up proper game servers (instead of the current peer-to-peer arrangement).

I expect it will end up costing us a little more, but I bet it will work out cheaper than having to upgrade our NTL lines!

Maybe with Halo2, it might happen, as I'm sure I've read somewhere that this will support a higher number of players than current 1st person shooters - They won't be able to get that performance without servers!

Zorilla.

Caspar
15-09-2003, 19:38
Originally posted by Zorilla
Maybe it's about time Microsoft made a little more effort, and started setting up proper game servers (instead of the current peer-to-peer arrangement).

I expect it will end up costing us a little more, but I bet it will work out cheaper than having to upgrade our NTL lines!

Maybe with Halo2, it might happen, as I'm sure I've read somewhere that this will support a higher number of players than current 1st person shooters - They won't be able to get that performance without servers!

Zorilla.

You've opened a box of fireworks ther m8!!!

One by one - P2P: some would say that we've already paid for this 'luxury' ... we pay them £40 a year...500k players already on XBL....they must have had enough money to finance a few celerons!!! :p

Halo2 -yeah it's been 'said' that there might be some MS servers, hopefully some in the UK!...

Halo2 numbers - I heard a few weeks back, maybe months!...that Halo2 is going to support 64 players :p ;) :eek:

Zorilla
15-09-2003, 19:53
500,000 players at £40 is £20 Million a year (or $32Million)

However I think Microsoft invested over $2 Billion to set up Xbox live - which means at the current rate it will take over 62 years to get a return on their investment!!! (And that doesn't even take into account the running costs).

I know M$ said that they were in it for the long term, but they will need higher revenues from somewhere!

Let's hope they get a lot more subscribers!
Zorilla

PS: I hope my maths is right - or I'll feel very stupid!

Caspar
15-09-2003, 20:21
lol - yeah but XBL isn't just subs cost...MS make their money from game loyalties...

handyman
15-09-2003, 22:03

However I think Microsoft invested over $2 Billion to set up Xbox live - which means at the current rate it will take over 62 years to get a return on their investment!!! (And that doesn't even take into account the running costs).

I know M$ said that they were in it for the long term, but they will need higher revenues from somewhere!

Let's hope they get a lot more subscribers!
Zorilla

PS: I hope my maths is right - or I'll feel very stupid!

Dont the US count 200 million $ as $2 billion? that would make 6 and a bit years to get back the cash?

Zorilla
15-09-2003, 23:06
Dont the US count 200 million $ as $2 billion? that would make 6 and a bit years to get back the cash?

Sorry no!

The USA call a $1 Billion = $1000 Million

In Europe a Billion used to be refered to as a Million Million, but this definition has slowly been eroded away, and most people now agree that a billion equals a thousand million!

It took me a while to find a web page to back this up (just in case I was wrong) but I found this:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html

:zzz: God I'm boring myself now, and getting a little off topic - Sorry, I'll shut-up now!

Zorilla

Stuart
15-09-2003, 23:58

I thought the $2 billion figure was the total cost of developing & selling the Xbox and all it's accessories (including live).

Boom
16-09-2003, 09:31
Even though NTL and Telewest are different companies, Telewest is offering the 2mb BB. Only a matter of time before NTL does the same.

Originally posted by Caspar
I'm not sure, why?...cause NTL don't do 2mb BB :p

Who knows NTL have be nice and give us 512k upload :p ....yeah right!!!! :rolleyes: :shrug: :spin: :td: :mad:

What we need is a 1mb SDSL line ;) :drool:

nh3com
16-09-2003, 14:05
would someone like to tell me what the hell microsoft did with the $2 billions as they already had a peer - peer service for the pc. x box live is utter crud