PDA

View Full Version : Sky not working

Damien
07-04-2005, 19:45
My sky isnt working. All that appears on screen is a messege that says ''searching for information" The other sky boxs in the house work fine, its just this one. :(. I went to system set up and it says that the telephone line is busy. Could this be causing it as the other boxs (that work) say the telephone line is connected fine.

I checked the connection and there are four wires but only the blue one is connected. There are 4 wires and 4 little slots on the connector. The blue one is connected to the far left slot while the others are just hanging loose. I have attached a picture of this but it is blurry.

Any ideas?

paulyoung666
07-04-2005, 20:32
unplug it and see what happens or plug a connected lead in and see what happens , why are the individual wires hanging loose anyway :disturbd:

MikeyB
07-04-2005, 20:44
I guess it could be a problem if it says the phone line is busy.

It will work if you unplug the Sky box from the phone line, mine hasn't been pluggen into the phone line for years, you just won't be able to use any pay interactive.

Mine says, line not connected (or similar) not a busy message.

paulyoung666
07-04-2005, 21:05
I guess it could be a problem if it says the phone line is busy.

It will work if you unplug the Sky box from the phone line, mine hasn't been pluggen into the phone line for years, you just won't be able to use any pay interactive.

Mine says, line not connected (or similar) not a busy message.

same here :tu: :)

Damien
07-04-2005, 21:13
ok then, My phone line is out but the problem hasnt changed.

Theres just no picture and it wont search though the listings. Just is continunely 'searching channels'

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2005, 21:14
ok then, My phone line is out but the problem hasnt changed.

Theres just no picture and it wont search though the listings. Just is continunely 'searching channels'

Spookily enough my sky box just did this to me :erm:

I unplugged mine for a couple of mins then plugged it back in and it's ok now.

Weird.....

Damien
07-04-2005, 21:32
yep, I did that as well and it is working! Thanks people

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2005, 21:34
yep, I did that as well and it is working! Thanks people

It's official then - we've entered the twilight zone ;):D

MikeyB
08-04-2005, 12:22
Glad you both got it sorted, my Sky box used to do that quite often, ratehr annoying, but not done it for a long time.

I did notice when I switched my Sky on about half hour after posting last night, that there may have been some kind of update during the day/previous night, it was on channel 998 which is a dead give away that Sky have been fiddling!!!

MadGamer
08-04-2005, 20:30
Glad you both got it sorted, my Sky box used to do that quite often, ratehr annoying, but not done it for a long time.

I did notice when I switched my Sky on about half hour after posting last night, that there may have been some kind of update during the day/previous night, it was on channel 998 which is a dead give away that Sky have been fiddling!!! Strangely enough the music channels have been pausing on mine recently, turned the Sky box off at the mains, switched it back on, reset itself and it worked fine.

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2005, 23:00

I did notice when I switched my Sky on about half hour after posting last night, that there may have been some kind of update during the day/previous night, it was on channel 998 which is a dead give away that Sky have been fiddling!!!

Mine just reset itself AGAIN.....

I sure hope this is not a sign of upcoming trouble.

nffc
08-04-2005, 23:25
You need to hard reset it. Pull it out of the mains, pull the aerial out, take the viewing card out, and leave it for a while. Then put it back together.

paulyoung666
08-04-2005, 23:25
Mine just reset itself AGAIN.....

I sure hope this is not a sign of upcoming trouble.

switch to sky+ my child , switch to sky+ :erm: :D :D :D :D

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2005, 23:26
switch to sky+ my child , switch to sky+ :erm: :D :D :D :D

I would if it wasn't £150 plus to do so.

paulyoung666
08-04-2005, 23:30
I would if it wasn't £150 plus to do so.

same here my mate :(

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2005, 23:32
same here my mate :(

If it does break I'm going to try cancelling and getting buxom woman to start a new contract.

I think the boxes are only £99 then.

ian@huth
08-04-2005, 23:49
If it does break I'm going to try cancelling and getting buxom woman to start a new contract.

I think the boxes are only £99 then.
If your Sky+ box needs replacing and is out of the 12 months warranty period it only costs £65 for a service call. A while ago I kept getting phone calls and letters from a company which seemed to suggest they were part of Sky. I took this up with Sky and this is part of their response.Regrettably, we have no knowledge of Nationwide Digital Warranty Service and I am unable to confirm how they got your details. That said, I can confirm that your Sky+ digibox is covered with a twelve month warranty and additional cover is available through Sky if required. Alternatively, Sky will provide a service call at 65.00 (GBP) for digiboxes outwith their warranty where we will guarantee to repair or replace your digibox, providing a 90 day warranty on any repair or replacement product.

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2005, 23:51
If your Sky+ box needs replacing and is out of the 12 months warranty period it only costs £65 for a service call. A while ago I kept getting phone calls and letters from a company which seemed to suggest they were part of Sky. I took this up with Sky and this is part of their response.

Now that's useful to know - thanks :)

dilli-theclaw
01-06-2005, 10:44
Well I just called sky this morning to tell them that I'm not satisfied with having to pay £150 if I want a sky+ box.

They immidiately offered me a new sky+ box for £49 and free installation as long as I either paid an extra £10 or took a sky movies package out.

So I've got sky movies and sky+ coming on saturday.