PDA

View Full Version : Complete Wireless Solution

williyam
07-04-2005, 11:10
Hello, sorry if I'm repeating a previous thread but I couldn't find the info I wanted.

Basically as a wireless newbie I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have a completly wireless solution using my between my STB and PC, and what equipment I need.

This is what I would like:

Room1
[Cable In]->[STB]->[Wireless Router]-)))

Room2
(((-[PC with Wireless Card]

Room 3
[PDA with Wireless Card]-)))
[Laptop with Wireless Card]-)))

I realise that I will need the PC connected to the router initially to set it up, however once that is done can I revert to the configuration above, or do I need another bit of equipment?

The rooms are right next to each other so no problems with distance.

Any help would be great

nighthawk
07-04-2005, 11:22
Yip you are correct. You only need to connect your laptop to the router (via RJ45) to set it up. Although it is possible to set everything up via wi-fi, it tends to be easier to configure it cabled.

Your set-up is easily acheivable, the only thing i would suggest (and this is purley a personal opinion), would be to get as much of the kit from the same manufacturer as possible. It just tends to make the set-up easier.

Stuart
07-04-2005, 11:30
It should work, although I have found it's best to leave one PC connected to the router via a cable just in case there are problems with Wireless (you may need to access the router's configuration web pages and won't be able to do this if you don't have a wired connection and the wireless is up the creek).

Still, you don't have to do that. If the wireless network does die, you can take the laptop into room 1 and plug that into the router.

BTW, you may be better off securing your network. I initially left my wireless network insecure and somebody managed to get in using a laptop and a wireless network card. I suspect they had parked in the car park at the end of my garden (it's not unusual for people to go there, park up and just sit in their cars for a few minutes, so no one would have questioned seeing a car parked up with people in it.

For info on securing your network, go to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

SMHarman
07-04-2005, 11:30
You'll want to read this
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

Personally I would recomment the Linksys WRT54G and linksys wireless cards to match. Others recommend Dlink and Belkin. Just make sure it is a cable broadband router, not an ADSL modem and broadband router. The latter will not work as cable uses different technology to ADSL. A cable based router will have a WAN plug (RJ45-network cable) plug to connect it to the internet. An ADSL one will have a phone jack (RJ11).

RUCYJ
07-04-2005, 14:35
Generally agree with what's been said. I have exactly the setup you describe, so it can be done.

It can be done entirely wifi, setting up one PC first, and using it to access the router. The current gear is practically automatic, so provided you switch it all on in the right order, it all drops into place.

Make sure you get the new .g standard, not the old .b

I would say WEP or WPA is mandatory, and make sure you change all the router default security settings (network name & passphrase, and router access password).

One slightly confusing comment I felt was reference to cable router or broadband router.

If you are on cable, then the cable company will supply the modem (either standalone or set top box). You need a wireless router for your network.

If you are adsl then the ISP may supply a modem or you can buy one. You then also need a wireless router, which can be same one as above. You could alternatively get an adsl wireless modem/router which combines the two functions.

williyam
12-04-2005, 16:52
Thanks for all your advice people.

I can now go and splash the cash, safe in the knowledge that I won't be returning it all the next week.

128 WEP security is something I do know about as I went to the US the other month and managed to connect to at least 5 of the shop's wireless networks in a mall with my PDA as well as Scandinavian Air's checking in desk. Duh!!!

I'll let you know how I get on with the set-up.

Williyam