PDA

View Full Version : setting up router

dls
06-04-2005, 14:51
I hope I am not repeating other threads, as I'm sure this has been a previous problem.
I have a Cybercom/Medion laptop as my main computer, with a Teryon TJ210 broadband modem connected via USB.
Now I have a Linksys cable/DSL Router to add but it is ethernet connections. What is the best way to set this up - recognising that the modem was setup for USB use, and that NTL have only supplied the USB driver disk.
Where do I get the lan drivers from, and is there anythinh else I should be doing?
Many thanks
dls

homealone
06-04-2005, 15:02
Hi dls :welcome: to Cable Forum

- does the laptop have a network card installed? If it does, then it is likely the driver is already loaded. (check in device manager)

In that case, it should be as simple as uninstall the USB driver, power off everything, connect the laptop to the router with cat5 patch cable, switch on the modem & allow to settle, switch on the router & allow to settle then finally switch on the laptop - you should get an IP, assuming the router is setup with the defaults (DHCP enabled & 'obtain an IP address automatically').

Setting up a LAN is another story, I would get the basic TCP/IP connection working, first. ;)

Matth
06-04-2005, 17:45
My understanding is that the Ethernet connection is "driverless" as far as the modem is concerned - all that's needed is a working ethernet port (with it's own drivers), and the most basic form of connection - DHCP with everything automatic - pretty well the default on most installed etbernet cards, integrated ports and on routers.

SMHarman
06-04-2005, 18:09
Turn everything off. Plug the CM into the Router using the NTL supplied cable. Plug the Router into the PC using the Blue cable supplied by linksys.
Power up the CM - leave it to stablise (1 min max)
Power up the Router - leave it to stabilse (1 min max)
The WAN light should be blinking on and off randomly.
Power up the Laptop and it should all be working.