PDA

View Full Version : Change of STB and Cable/DSL Router

uclown2002
06-04-2005, 05:40
Later today, I'm having my PACE STB changed for a Samsung to take advantage of speed upgrade. I also use an Actiontec Cable/DSL router with a USB adaptor plugged into my PC.

I was wondering if I'm likely to run into any issues following the swap, registering PC, reconfiguring router etc.

Is there a failsafe method for getting up and running straight away or is it simply a case of plugging everything back in and following screen prompts on PC? I'm really looking for an idiots guide to make this a swift and painless transition.

I appreciate your help.

Dave

Paul K
06-04-2005, 09:23
Was the router the equipment registered against your account up to this point?
If you just registered the router against your account last time then all you really need to do is power down the PC,
switch on/ reboot the STB,
allow the light on the front to lock on solid,
power up the router and allow the lights to stop flashing madly,
power up the PC,
when it's finished booting up launch your Internet Explorer browser and it should automatically send you to the provisioning screen.
Follow the prompts on screen to provision the equipment and then reboot the STB and PC to finish.

th'engineer
06-04-2005, 11:22
make sure younhave the ip address for the provisioning screen does not always go to it .
You may need to phone CS to get the address .

I forgot it:blush:

uclown2002
06-04-2005, 12:13
Thanks for the help.

You make it sound as it should be easy.

I've found some old documentation telling me to use ip address 'start. ntl:home'

'Was the router the equipment registered against your account up to this point?' not sure what you mean but I'm been using it with my current PACE STB now for about six months so I guess so.

Thanks Dave

KraGorn
06-04-2005, 13:34
The name you should enter is just start.ntl, ie. no ':home' at the end. As th'engineer says it doesn't always work, I had to reprovision after getting the speed upgrade yesterday and it didn't work for me. At the time I was talking to the faults dept. who were undoing a screw-up perptrated by CS and the guy was able to tell me the IP which worked fine.

If you have problems getting the URL to work go into the admin pages of your router and see what it says its' WAN-side IP address is. If it's 0.0.0.0 (which I got initially after CS supposedly upgraded my account) then the DHCP server isn't talking to you and IMX you're best off calling the 'faults department' on the 0845 number rather than taking option 2 off the 0800 CS number and having to talk to someone who you can barely understand.

OTOH, if it's 10.x.x.x. then you're account is correct and for some reason the pseudo DNS lookup of start.ntl is broken as it was for me too after the tech. guy fixed my account problem.