PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advice Needed - To & Around London

skyblueheroes
05-04-2005, 08:27
I know some people here live in London, so here goes.

Got tickets for Wimbledon on 24th June, and this year I am only coming down for the day (last year we stopped for a long weekend, so travel was not so much of an issue).

I am going from Coventry to London (specifically Wimbledon) for one day. The way I see it my options are........

- Nat Express from Cov to Victoria. Taxi to Waterloo. Overland train to Wimbeldon. Taxi to grounds.
- Nat Express from Cov to Victoria. Underground to Wimbledon (but not sure what lines)
- Virgin train from Cov to Euston. Taxi to Waterloo. Overland train to Wimbeldon. Taxi to grounds.
- Virgin train from Cov to Euston. Underground to Wimbledon (but not sure what lines)

Any advice on easiest or quickest route, plus what day passes I would need would be appreciated.

In terms of cost, not bothered really. Nat Express is £30 for 2 to Vic, and Virgin is £64 for 2 to Euston.

Scarlett
05-04-2005, 09:10
Doesn't Silverlink cover the (Birmingham) coventry to Euston route ? if so it'll be substantually cheaper than the £64 that vermin train are asking for.

You should also have the option of a cheap day return which will cover all your tube/bus traval.

----------------------------------------------------

okay, had a quick looky on the train line...
Arrive Depart
COVENTRY 10:15 Train CENTRAL TRAINS
NORTHAMPTON 10:50 11:02 Train SILVERLINK
LONDON EUSTON 12:14

This is £20 for a cheap day return (must leave after 9:30am) and _SHOULD_ include a 1 day travel card (if not it's only £6 for off peak travel card to all zones (off peak is after 9:30)) but your best going to the train station and asking.

Don't ring the national rail enquiries line and don't trust the websites either...

Scarlett.

thats £20 each though BTW

Mr_love_monkey
05-04-2005, 09:25
I know some people here live in London, so here goes.

Got tickets for Wimbledon on 24th June, and this year I am only coming down for the day (last year we stopped for a long weekend, so travel was not so much of an issue).

I am going from Coventry to London (specifically Wimbledon) for one day. The way I see it my options are........

- Nat Express from Cov to Victoria. Taxi to Waterloo. Overland train to Wimbeldon. Taxi to grounds.
- Nat Express from Cov to Victoria. Underground to Wimbledon (but not sure what lines)
- Virgin train from Cov to Euston. Taxi to Waterloo. Overland train to Wimbeldon. Taxi to grounds.
- Virgin train from Cov to Euston. Underground to Wimbledon (but not sure what lines)

Any advice on easiest or quickest route, plus what day passes I would need would be appreciated.

In terms of cost, not bothered really. Nat Express is £30 for 2 to Vic, and Virgin is £64 for 2 to Euston.

Personally I think the best option would probably be coach to victoria and then underground (district line) to wimbledon - though if I remember rightly you don't actually go to wimbledon station, you go to the one before (could be wrong though) - if you're going to be travelling in London after 9.30 just get a one day travel card which will probably set you back about 6 quid.

SMHarman
05-04-2005, 09:27
By tube it looks like Southfields is the nearest about a 1500m walk from the station to the club.
www.tfl.gov.uk - Journey Planner says to go by tube you go Euston - Victoria (Victoria Line) - Southfields (District Line). Takes 40 minutes.

To Wimbledon mainline Victoria Line to Vauxhall and then Mainline from Vauhall
Vauxhall
Take the South West Trains towards Shepperton
or South West Trains towards Chessington South
or South West Trains towards Woking
or South West Trains towards Dorking

To Wimbledon. Takes 30 mins.

So if you take the coach to Vic, then you will either take the Vic line to Vauxhall or the District Line to Southfields.

If the train works you will have a gteed journey time, coaches from my limited experience have less reliable - or longer journey times.

If I was doing this it would be down to the journey time and how that links up with when play starts (or when you want to get there) and the best method for achiving that.

Ramrod
05-04-2005, 09:41
By tube it looks like Southfields is the nearest about a 1500m walk from the station to the club.
www.tfl.gov.uk - Journey Planner .I just looked up that site to post, came back and found you had already done it! :cry: :D

SMHarman
05-04-2005, 10:11
I just looked up that site to post, came back and found you had already done it! :cry: :D
Shall I put this link in too...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=524750&y=172750&z=1&sv=524750,172750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

andygrif
05-04-2005, 10:37

Driving would be cheaper and quicker! M1, M25 a/c, M4, A309

SMHarman
05-04-2005, 10:45
Driving would be cheaper and quicker! M1, M25 a/c, M4, A309
But after champagne and strawerrys the return journey gets a little hazy.

Nugget
05-04-2005, 10:46
But after champagne and strawerrys the return journey gets a little hazy.

Which is probably a good thing if you've got to tackle the M25 :p: