PDA

View Full Version : Many BY customers getting shafted this badly?

Diz
04-04-2005, 20:56
So I recently †œupgradedà¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à  from 512 ADSL to 1 meg cable and what a jolly great time itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s been (sense the sarcasm)! From day one, it sucked and has gradually gotten worse over the last month since I got it. If youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re an FPS player, itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s pretty much unplayable most of the time except maybe in the early hours of the morning and even then pings arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t at all great. Pings erratically go from 50-500, usually in the evenings itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s over 100+ consistently while spiking up frequently.

Contacting BY led to them mailing me back asking for a new form with a whole load of details (trace route to bbc.co.uk etc) which Iâ₠™d already given them, thermo and seismic readings and all. I sent another form in, no response yet, bleh. Seems they want me to prove without a doubt, a few times over, that the problem isnââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t between the modem and my system before they bother attempting to address the issue which based on a thread by the dude †œdisappointed in Blueyonder for the first timeââ‚ ¬Ã‚ †“ wonââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t happen anyway.. :/

I guess other than ranting I want to know if itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s possible to get out of the contact Iâ₠™m now stuck in for the next 11 months if they decide not to fix it SOON as (for example) Iâ₠™m certainly not getting the †œdistinct advantageââ‚ ¬Â Blueyonder gamers are supposed to have.. itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s quite the contrary. I guess the nostalgic fluffy feelings I keep getting of the old 33k modem days are a plus though.

Oh, I live in Plymouth by the way and my download speeds are fine.. Which isn't my first priority :(

**shakes fist** :td: :td: :td:

Craig Baker
05-04-2005, 00:26
You're best bet is to visit the news group blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed

The news server is news-text.blueyonder.co.uk

You will have to go through all the diagnostics with them, repeating some stuff you have already done, but at least the response times are usually faster.

danielf
05-04-2005, 00:44
Have you actually called them?

Craig Baker
05-04-2005, 01:19
Trouble with telephone support on blueyonder is there is about a 1 in 10 chance of getting some helpful.

In my experience, if you are lucky enough to get someone who knows what they are doing, they are absoluty fantastic, otherwise they just use their scripts.

They often want written copies of tracerts etc and you never get a reply :(

Diz
05-04-2005, 01:50
Thx Craig..

I will soon dan, but like I said based on other posts with similar problems located in certain areas with over crowded nodes (it's not a masssive leap to assume that's the problem) it's not promising that anything will come of it..

Diz
09-04-2005, 09:42
Thx, this seems to have solved the problem ! :) You rock.

Ignition
11-04-2005, 10:51
Michael, have you considered escalating this issue to the powers that be? Load should be shared evenly between the upstreams rather than getting imbalanced and users having to do this.

Ignition
11-04-2005, 14:49
Good man :tu:

nick.king
11-04-2005, 21:26
I haven't done so as yet, but when I go into work later on i'll check and see if they are aware of load balancing issues in Plymouth.

Regards,

Michael

Check when they are going to increase speeds to compete with the ADSL packages they are now offering in Sheffield. I can get 8mbit now on ADSL for the same price as I pay for 4mbit on cable!

BBKing
13-04-2005, 13:38
I haven't done so as yet, but when I go into work later on i'll check and see if they are aware of load balancing issues in Plymouth.

And if you want to know the automatic way of doing it, ring ntl ;)

Ignition
14-04-2005, 09:07
And if you want to know the automatic way of doing it, ring ntl ;)

:LOL:

If you want to know the real way to do it automatically ring a cableco not a telco, or check out the Cisco website.

MalcUK2005
15-04-2005, 13:12
Michael, have you considered escalating this issue to the powers that be? Load should be shared evenly between the upstreams rather than getting imbalanced and users having to do this.

Last time I tried doing this when there was a 90% util on the upstream channel the response I got was that 90% is nothing to worry about.

Ignition
15-04-2005, 13:26
Last time I tried doing this when there was a 90% util on the upstream channel the response I got was that 90% is nothing to worry about.

Nonsense, user impact is noted as low as 65 - 70% as far as gaming goes, 90% is horrid and about as high as an upstream can go (due to certain overheads and the way the utilisation is measured upstreams max at 93-94% utilisation).

90% = horrid pings, packet loss and slower than expected uploads and downloads along with painful web browsing.

MalcUK2005
15-04-2005, 14:50
Nonsense, user impact is noted as low as 65 - 70% as far as gaming goes, 90% is horrid and about as high as an upstream can go (due to certain overheads and the way the utilisation is measured upstreams max at 93-94% utilisation).

90% = horrid pings, packet loss and slower than expected uploads and downloads along with painful web browsing.

Yepp exactly and I was still told that there was nothing wrong, or it was more the case the the person I was talking to was worried the person he had to talk to would tell him there was nothing wrong.

Ignition
15-04-2005, 15:20
Yepp exactly and I was still told that there was nothing wrong, or it was more the case the the person I was talking to was worried the person he had to talk to would tell him there was nothing wrong.

If the 'save my own arse and screw the customer' ethic is one that's very predominate in Telewest I'm sure the merger will go more smoothly for it.

andymt
15-04-2005, 19:21
I have telewest 1mb and it comes out as 870kbps

Is that average or slow?
Lol
help

humey
15-04-2005, 19:42
Well 1meg is 1024kilobits/sec (Kb/s) so in windows task panes you should see 128Kilobytes/sec (KB/s) when you download a file if the source is infact fast enough.

I have read threads here and some peeps get bad speeds, i already made 2 posts and one explains i always got my max + little extra speed on 512k (1/2meg) then 1meg then 2meg then 3meg now 4meg, again if the source can sent fast enough.

Im mainly here to see about new upgrades and i know the 10meg test is real as of the BY .pdf, but i say a staff member on here or other forum say they testing 14meg.

I get little info on the phone, even after i say i may go elsewhere as Bt online doing 8meg cheap, but all i got was 256 is gonna be 512 in may, seem thats all the 150 number staff know.

MalcUK2005
15-04-2005, 19:43
870kbps is a little slow but would probably still come in exceptable margins, the speed on cable varys so if you ran the same test again you might find it will go up or down the very maximum you will get is 1mb.

Saltank
16-04-2005, 00:27
Here is my speed test URL for my 1mbit service:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=fbbc20e010348237e3189183248

It is pretty good, it is constant and I don't think I have ever really noticed congestion at peak times.