PDA

View Full Version : Web Pages dont load & problems with email

Mister_b
14-09-2003, 19:35
Hello people

Im sorry if this topic has already been discussed (i couldnt find it). For the most of this week, I have been having major problems viewing websites (page cannot be displayed) and problems retrieving my email (server not found). I have rang tech support several times, who checked my pc is protected agains the worm that is going around.

Having established that my pc is clean and protected, I am still not able to view websites or retrieve email. I believe that ntl have removed proxies and wonder if this is what maybe causing the problems. If anyone is experiencing similar peoblems or may be able to suggest how to fix this, please reply. (please dont ask me to ring tech support, lol)

:shrug: I have no idea whats wrong. Any suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Bal

PS I am on 1mb broadband, using a USB cable modem) and my pc spec is - pentium4 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, win xp pro

PPS Im a newbie Hello ppl :D

melevittfl
14-09-2003, 21:12
There seems to be two problems:

1) The transparent proxies are not handling requests correctly.
2) The NTL DNS servers are not working correctly.

Both of these problems are causing the issues you're seeing.

Steve H
14-09-2003, 21:22
Welcome to nthellworld Mister_b, melevittfl :)

For details on changing your proxy, Go HERE (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#iew), and follow the instructions..

To Change your DNS Servers, Do the following:

-Go to Network Places
-Go to View network settings
-Right Click on your adaptor, and goto Properties.
-Click on TCP/IP Protocol, and Goto Properties.
-Tick "Use the following DNS Server addresses"
-In preferred DNS Server box, Put "217.169.20.29" (Without Quotes) .. That DNS is working sweet at the moment.

Alternatively, You can specify 2 DNS Addresses, and Use Freeserves if you want... Which are,

Mister_b
14-09-2003, 22:35
Thanks very much 4 ure help chaps :D

Bal

Steve H
14-09-2003, 22:36
Originally posted by Mister_b
Thanks very much 4 ure help chaps :D

Bal

No Problem, You managed to get it working now?

Mister_b
14-09-2003, 23:00
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
No Problem, You managed to get it working now?

erm... no. I did what u suggested but everything stopped working, :confused: I must have typed simething in wrong

Bal

agarrick
15-09-2003, 12:47
Hi Mister_b

I notice you live in Essex, I've just had major problems with browsing but managed to resolve it . It is as one of the other posters said, a transparent proxy problem. I had a look at the Robin Walker page (cant remeber link- perhaps someone could post it) and you need to edit your settings in explorer. Basically you tell explorer to use the same proxy but use a different port (8080), the proxy server then doesnt bother intercepting the request and wont point you to its cache. As soon as I had made the change I was able to browse straight away, and dare I say it, it seemed marginally quicker!

Mister_b
15-09-2003, 17:59
Hi all

I think thats asolved it. Thanks 4 ure help

Bal