PDA

View Full Version : Please help

John S
03-04-2005, 17:01
Hi,
About a fortnight ago my internet connection went AWOL this time with the status lights working. Last week it was always down in the morning and evening. Now this weekend it id down in the morning and evening and when I log in after a few hours.
I rang NTL and was put onto an Asian person who I had difficulty understanding. After 15 minutes of getting nowhere ( I am fairly conversant with computers and NTL always putting the blame on my Computer when the faulty is always is at NTL's end) the operator asked if he could speak to someone else in my house. I tried to be calm and told him about my previous connection problem history. After another 15 minutes getting nowhere he then told me to phone Microsoft about a winsock error.
Before phoning Microsoft I tried my connection again and lo and behold it was working but again went down in the evening.
This morning it was down again so instead of phoning Microsoft I reinstalled my Broadband connection with a new IP address and lo and behold it worked again and very fast it was too. Until this afternoon it was down again so I reinstalled it again and now its working again.
Any ideas anyone, by the way Im in Swansea on the Cwmbwrla UBR and thers are major roadworks on Cockett road and Carmarthen road 2 of major northern corridors here into the city.

John S.

John S
03-04-2005, 17:33
Hi,

Me again; Since My last post the service went very slow and went down again. Now Im back again and its faster than ever, I dont suppose I will be back for a while as it always goes down in the evening for hours.
Broadband not always on, nearly always down in my experience for the last week.

John S.

SLM
03-04-2005, 17:33
when you say it was down are you talking about the rdy and sync lights.

John S
03-04-2005, 17:54
Hi,
No the lights can be on but the connection is unavailable.
Its very fast at the moment but the pessemist in me knows it wont last going by the last weeks performance. Why does it slow and fail for hours but then comes back faster than ever. Someone using my bandwidth, why after I reinstall, overloaded UBR (this is the usual culprit), feeding the server steroids. Its a mystery but Im sure the Server and UBR operatives know.

John S.

Raistlin
03-04-2005, 18:00
Have you tried explicitly setting a proxy at all, not sure if it would help in your situation but you never know:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

John S
03-04-2005, 18:07
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried one last year Dublin I think and it was OK for a while but then slowed right down. But hey anything is better than this, think Ill try Iceland this time.

John S.

Raistlin
03-04-2005, 18:08
:LOL: Why not, that's where Mum goes ;)

John S
03-04-2005, 18:24
OR I could go for the £25 speed upgrade, surley things will work better then, the money is burning a hole in my pocket but NTL are not interested.

John S.

Raistlin
03-04-2005, 18:39
If there's a problem with the infrastructure that you connect through then simply upgrading your speed is unlikely to help. You need to get the root cause of the problem fixed first.